How long after miscarriage did preg test show "negative"

(10 Posts)
Nero Thu 08-May-08 16:47:57

I think I have had a miscarriage over the past 2 days - cramping, red blood followed by brown, then black stringy clotty bits, and total absence of pregnancy symptoms.

However there has not been much blood, but I think that is because I am only about 5 weeks. GP has said no point going to EPU as it is too early in preg for a sac to show, even if I was still pregnant, and that I should just wait and do a preg test in a few days.

But I am impatient and I want to know now one way or theother - so I can either move on, or become happy again about being pregnant.

Does anyone know how quickly a negative test would show if I have indeed miscarried?

WorzselMummage Thu 08-May-08 18:36:22

For me it was about 2 and a half weeks but if differs from person to person, I was 13 weeks and i think how fast HCG leaves your body depents on how much of it there was so the more pregnant you were the longer it'd take to get a negative hpt. It also depends on other factors such as if the MC was complete or you had a D&C and stuff like that.

sorry for you loss

babblington Thu 08-May-08 18:38:29

my negative was pretty much immediate - as the blood started.

OracleInaCoracle Thu 08-May-08 18:41:59

hmm your gp is being v irresponsible. first, im sorry this is happening, its shit and not fair at all.

call your epu and ask their advice, has the bleeding finished

Nero Thu 08-May-08 18:49:35

I am speaking to my GP again tomorrow and he might call EPU for me after that. Bleeding has stopped now but I am still crampy. I did a test about an hour ago blush and it showed positive, though I know that that doesn't mean that I necessarily am still preg.

OracleInaCoracle Thu 08-May-08 18:53:59

does your gp know that? you need to have a scan to rule out an ep. this happened to me, i started bleeding at 5w, not much blood but lots of stringy stuff, still getting bfps and my gp was convinced i had mc, it was only because i rang up epu and insisted on a scan that they picked up the ep. it was the only time i had taken a HPT after a "mc", and every day i thank god i did.

justjules Thu 08-May-08 19:00:47

my 1st m/c (8 weeks pg) neg in 2 weeks

my 2nd m/c (5 weeks pg) neg took 12 weeks (there was some left over that would not shift) ended up in hospital having methotraxate injections

my 3rd m/c (11 weeks pg) neg took about 4 weeks

as lissie said, it is not only ep they should be looking at, if you have not m/c everything then you will keep getting pos results,

i am sorry to hear about your bleeding,

you need to ask for repeat bloods done to check the levels of hcg,

48 hours apart,

that is the best and most accurate way to check the progression of a pg/mc

get on to your doc or just turn up at a and e, they will do bloods today and tell you to come back in 48 hours

Nero Thu 08-May-08 19:25:40

Thanks for the advice. I will push harder with the doc tomorrow. I have to go to South Africa on business at the end of next week, so I want it all sorted by then - and definitely any chance of an ectopic ruled out!

1LittlePrincess Sun 11-May-08 19:07:26

Hi Nero

Did you manage to get the your ocal EPU on Friday? HOpe everything is ok. Vertual hugs and best wishes

In answer to orignal post it has been 3 weeks to the day that I m/c naturally and I am still showing a positive on hpt.

Fingers crossed for you x

Nero Mon 12-May-08 16:40:21

Hi 1LP, thanks for asking after me. Sorry to hear about your miscarriage.

I went to the EPU on Fri and had my first lot of bloods, then had a second lot taken yesterday. I spoke to the hospital last night and they said that my hormone levels have dropped significantly (down from 116 to 44) so it is definitely a miscarriage. I haven't had any cramping or bleeding since Sat, so it is all over now I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now