First miscarriage :(

(13 Posts)
SandBetweenMyt0es Mon 26-Sep-16 13:57:55

Until yesterday I was 6 weeks pregnant. Yesterday I went for a run and after coming back home started bleeding. This rapidly turned into heavier bleeding with severe cramps. I knew it wasnt good and all I could do was curl up in a ball and brave it out. Is there any way me going for a run made me miscarry?

After several hours of intense cramps I passed 'it' in the toilet and just sat there sobbing in absolute shock and sadness and disappointment. Over what could have been someone I suppose.

Today I have felt exhausted and just want to sleep. Im still bleeding (and sorry for TMI but on and off the toilet constantly) but the blood seems much more like a normal period now. Could it be the MC has turned into a normal period? And then if I want to try to conceive again straight away does this count as a normal period? Sorry for all the questions, I'm a bit all over the place.

TinyTear Mon 26-Sep-16 14:03:31

Hi, I'm so sorry this had happened to you
First to reassure you, going for a run DID NOT cause your miscarriage...
I have had 5 mcs and my first successful pregnancy (4th pregnancy) was the one where I ran 5k, did zumba classes and drank sangria just before finding out i was pregnant...

You may bleed for another week, and I would contact your GP or EPU to check your bloods and maybe even a scan to make sure all is ok

Then, if you feel ready, go for it... some times I needed a few months to get my head back, other times I went straight for it...

Good luck for the future
x

KP86 Mon 26-Sep-16 14:03:56

Before anything else, you didn't cause this. I'm so sorry that it's happened.

I don't have any medical experience to help you with that side of it.

Big hugs.

MrsHathaway Mon 26-Sep-16 14:06:41

I'm so sorry for your loss. You must be devastated flowers

There is absolutely no way your run caused your miscarriage. Please don't entertain that thought for another second.

Do contact your GP or hospital for help. They want to be sure that all the "products" (eg womb lining) have come away properly, so you don't get ill. Keep an eye out for fever, lightheadedness etc. There's also a possibility of a survivor sibling to look out for - unlikely but they do happen. My trust likes to scan everybody but I don't know if that's universal.

My hospital wanted to know when I started getting negative pregnancy tests. I got the cheap ones from Quality Save (you can also get them online) and it was a while before they showed negative as my HCG levels were still high. I don't know whether this matters for your cycle or whether it's indicative of something else, but it might be worth bearing in mind. Cruelly, your body doesn't necessarily notice that you've mc and may be acting hormonally as though you are still pg.

Anecdotally it does seem that women are extra fertile after a mc, and there's usually no medical reason to wait to ttc again. However, it's likely that you will be in an odd place in your cycle so your usual planning wouldn't work. For example, after a 6w mc I had a "proper" period three weeks later which I know for absolute certain heralded a normal cycle because he's now nearly three.

One thing at a time. Be very, very kind to yourself and take as long as you need to get better. Watch crap on telly (I found it useful to watch stuff that would make me cry, but you may prefer something cheerfully distracting), eat whatever the fuck you fancy, and so on.

All the best to you.

whateverdoidonext Mon 26-Sep-16 14:08:03

Hello sand, I am so sorry for this, it's absolutely horrible. I am no expert, but am almost 100% certain that going for a run would not have caused a miscarriage. Unfortunately, I think that miscarriage in early pregnancy is reasonably common, and is normally due to an issue with the baby - there is nothing you have done to cause it, or could have done to prevent it. For what it's worth, and again no medical knowledge, but I had a relatively early miscarriage some years ago, much like what you describe. I treated that as my period and conceived the very same month, resulting in my lovely son who is now 6. The one thing I would say and this is probably personal to my own circumstances, is that I ovulated a little later that month, but I also had a tummy bug so that could have been why, rather than the miscarriage! I am sure it is different for everybody, but I hope that provides some reassurance. Good luck. xxx

SandBetweenMyt0es Mon 26-Sep-16 14:14:06

Thankyou so much for your messages and I am SO sorry to hear about your losses. I feel like I shouldnt be as upset as I am because I was so early on and some people have to go through so much worse as im fully aware. I didnt even think I would need to go and see a doctor because of how early it was? I don't 'feel' pregnant anymore at all, which in a way is easier, but in a way is sadder for me. I was so, so happy to be pregnant. In a way maybe its good that I wont know where in my cycle I am and I can just relax and see if nature can work it's magic... My DD is having a nap so I'm taking the time to lie in bed with a hot water bottle and drink tea. If she wasnt here I think I would just be crying my eyes out, so I'm glad I'm not alone. I honestly had no idea I would feel this devastated.

MrsHathaway Mon 26-Sep-16 14:16:52

Of course you get to be devastated. Just because it isn't as physically traumatic as a later pregnancy doesn't mean you hadn't built up ideas in your mind which are now dashed.

Am I not allowed to feel happy about my snoozing cat because some people have won the lottery this weekend? Of course not. Our emotions aren't competitive.

SandBetweenMyt0es Mon 26-Sep-16 14:23:58

I like that example! Snoozing cats are the best, of course you are(!)

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Mon 26-Sep-16 14:28:57

First of all I'm really sorry you're going through this flowers

Secondly going for a run did not cause your miscarriage, no. Nothing you did or didn't do caused it. They are sadly just one of those shitty things that happen and are a lot more common than you would probably think.

The vast majority of 1st trimester miscarriages occur because the foetus wasn't developing properly. Normally a genetic abnormality of sorts. Your body recognises the pregnancy is not healthy and will not grow to be healthy and does what it has to do. I took a lot of comfort from that when I had my miscarriages. I saw it as me suffering so my children didn't have to IFYSWIM?

With my first miscarriage at around 6/7 weeks I didn't see a doctor. I started bleeding and passed 'it' and had negative tests from there. I did tell my doctor but she didn't want to see me as I had no signs of any problems such as prolonged heavy bleeding, lots of pain etc. Once I had passed the sac the bleeding tailored off to what my period was usually like.

I counted the first day the bleeding started at my LMP. I managed to fall pregnant again and the dates showed I had conceived just two weeks after the bleeding started so that worked out about right for me.

Be kind to yourself Sand flowers X

pissedoff2016 Mon 26-Sep-16 14:35:00

i have just had a miscarriage,i have been told that although i should wait for at least one period (so doctors have a date to go by)you can ovulate after a miscarriage and therefore fall pregnant again straight away,but as there could still be pregnancy hormones in your body now you should wait until you get a negative pregnancy test after your miscarriage to try again,hope this helps and sorry for your loss x

SandBetweenMyt0es Mon 26-Sep-16 14:41:19

Alice that is a really comforting way to look at it. I will remember that.

Sorry to hear this pissedoff its totally rubbish isnt it. I know this sounds really silly but I'm too scared to do a pregnancy test and see 'not pregnant' because it will make me upset again. Even though I know I'm not, I don't want to see it on a test...

MrsHathaway Mon 26-Sep-16 16:28:34

Alice is right.

Someone suggested to me that my lost baby had completely fulfilled its genetic potential: had followed every bit of DNA instructions available to it. I found that comforting.

Taking a pgy test is very hard. I sailed through pgy#1 and had the idea that BFP=bouncing baby. Now I definitely don't feel like that sad. I felt particularly betrayed when I had mc but was still getting BFP and morning sickness but hopefully you hadn't started with that yet.

pissedoff2016 Tue 27-Sep-16 12:09:57

I know what you mean,but u kinda have to do one just to check it is negative because if u don't and then test at a later date and get a false positive cos of your hormones not going down that would be worse x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now