Anyone trying the Coventry NK tests?

(12 Posts)
Danlsb Sat 24-Sep-16 19:19:03

Yesterday went to Coventry and had the scratch and biopsy - now have 4 week wait for results. Just wanted to find out others experiences and thoughts.

mintleaf Sat 24-Sep-16 20:23:23

Had five miscarriages. Went to Coventry clinic. Had a successful pregnancy. I think they're fab.

Know of lots of others who've also had success with them, irrespective of whether they had high NK cells or not.

Good luck.

Waitandwine Sat 24-Sep-16 22:51:46

I was recommended to go on a board here. I found them really helpful and got my results back in just over three weeks. They found my Nk was in the normal range, but prescribed progesterone. So hoping it will do the trick, so firmly on the ttc roller coaster.

bananafish81 Sun 25-Sep-16 20:03:55

I'm debating going

But from stalking the Quenby threads on FF it seems it could raise more questions than answers. Quite a few women get wildly different levels of uNK cells from one month to the next - which of course doesn't get you any closer to identifying whether pred would or wouldn't be beneficial in a treatment cycle.

Prof Quenby and Brosens say that (even if peripheral blood levels are high) that you need some inflammation for successful implantation, and that in some cases pred and intralipids can do more harm than good.

This seems to be the case for me as I had successful implantation (but MMC at 10w) with my first pregnancy - from my second round of IVF, without any immunes tx - but poor implantation in my second pregnancy (just miscarried at 5w, from my 4th round of IVF, treated with pred and intralipids)

I suspect I may have been over suppressed by the pred and iintralipids this time, but I'm not sure whether the biopsy will shed any light on it when results can vary so much. Hmm!!!

Miloarmadillo1 Sun 25-Sep-16 20:07:52

I went in 2013 after 4 miscarriages and had my DD in May 2014 on my first attempt on their protocol ( heparin, progesterone, steroids) after my NK cells came back at 13%. Good luck!

Danlsb Sun 25-Sep-16 20:36:58

Thanks for your feed back glad to hear some positive out comes.
Out of interest how long did those of you who had the biopsy bleed for afterwards?
Bannafish - you are so right it's very confusing as lots of the experts have different and sometimes conflicting views. They did say that the scratch and biopsy would have a beneficial effect on the womb for 3 months.
waitandwine - good luck hope you have a sticky bean very soon ( let us know when you do)

Rach0505 Mon 26-Sep-16 16:33:25

Hi all. I've been looking and thankfully come across this.
Wondering if anyone can give me some more info about Coventry clinic ?
I miscarried again in May after my 3rd round off ivf , I have had two eptopics and have miscarried twice.
At a complete lost at the moment and need some desperate advice what to do next and where I could go to get test etc ? What it involves?
Just need to do something to see if there is a reason to why this keeps happening.
Thankyou
X

bananafish81 Mon 26-Sep-16 16:37:18

Hi Rach

I'm sorry for your losses

Here's the info leaflet on the clinic and how to get an appointment, what's involved

https://www.mededcoventry.com/Researchandd_Development/Facilities/Implantation%20Clinic%20leaflet.pdf

Danlsb Tue 27-Sep-16 00:09:58

Hello Rach - Sorry for your losses.
I found the whole process with Coventry very efficient (as you will see in the link Bannafish sent you) - I contacted Kerri the admin person to let them know I was interested then used ovulation sticks and as soon as I had a positive I called the clinic and 7 days later had the test. Much quicker than the nhs rcm clinic. The staff were all lovely and the scratch and biopsy was just like having a smear so not too uncomfortable. They said results will be back in 4 weeks. I think we can all sympathise with how lost you are feeling right now. I find the waiting so hard which is why I went to Coventry when I found out my rcm appointment would not be until December. At least I feel like something is happening. I hope this helps if you have any other question about it I am happy to let you know what I experienced/was told.

Rach0505 Tue 27-Sep-16 17:34:52

Thankyou bananafish and Dan.
I will take a look at the information.
Appreciate yous getting back to me.
So what does the test involve ? And am I right in thinking that this test is see if they can find any reasons why one maybe losing their precious babies.
I'm not sure if I'm ready to start the process all over again just yet but I want to in the new year. Just hope if I do have something wrong then they can fix . Fingers crossed smile

Miloarmadillo1 Tue 27-Sep-16 18:02:42

Rach you need to be at least 2 cycles post miscarriage and definitely not pregnant to have the test so if you are having a rest from TTC that's a perfect time to get it done. You monitor ovulation and go to the Coventry clinic 7-10 days post ov. They put a thin flexible biopsy tube through your cervix to grab a small piece of uterine lining which is then assessed for NK cell levels and for how well the lining decidualises (prepares for pregnancy). I found it no worse than a smear test, others have found it uncomfortable, they have gas and air if you need it. Results about 4 weeks later and a telephone consultation to recommend treatment. It was a last ditch effort for us, we had decided unless they could offer us an explanation for our chromosomally normal losses and some treatment we were not trying again. I had very high NK cells of 13.55% ( normal <5) and they were very down to earth and gave us a 60% chance of success on treatment. For once we were on the right side of the stats. Good luck if you decide to go for it.

user1457634692 Thu 10-Nov-16 14:17:19

Hello,

I went to Coventry last Friday and just waiting for results. I found them lovely and whilst it was painful (partly due to awkward angle of my uterus!!?) I was fine after. No bleeding at all but then early and very light period a few days after??

How's everyone else getting on? I am hoping to start trying this month and that my results come back by the time I am testing!

Hope everyone getting on ok!! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now