Misdiagnosed ectopic pregnancy

(5 Posts)
so08dnd Sat 27-Aug-16 21:52:55

I was around 5 weeks pregnant and attended a&e with pains to my left side. I was scanned and told I had an ectopic pregnancy. My hcg was at 1350 and progesterone at 56. I was concerned that these levels were high for an ectopic pregnancy but the doctors said they were certain and needed to operate to remove it.

I went into surgery the following day and when I came out they advised that there was no ectopic, but they had found a corpus luteum cyst. They could not confirm if I was still pregnant or not.
They took my bloods the following day and said my hcg has dropped by a third and I was miscarrying. I have had no bleeding and am wondering if there is any chance at all i could still be pregnant?

Any advice much appreciated

Alb1 Sun 28-Aug-16 16:07:55

So sorry about what you've been through OP, it sounds very traumatic. I'm no expert but I don't want your post to go unanswered. The levels dropping makes me pretty certain they arnt wrong, I don't think the levels can go down and then back up, but sometimes your levels can drop for a little while before you start bleeding which is what happened with my miscarriage, sorry I don't want to be upset you more, just being as honest as I can. Are the hospital seeing you again? They should be able to to provide you with some educated answers, take care of yourself flowers

wickedwitchofwaterloo Sun 28-Aug-16 21:51:27

When I had my ectopic, my levels dropped to 154 from 456 and I had a bit of bleeding and then two weeks later I was still testing positive and my levels had jumped to 4500 and after nearly 2 hours of scanning they found it nestled in my womb muscle.

So it is possible to go up, the down and up again. Be kind to yourself, I'm sorry you are going through this x

so08dnd Sun 28-Aug-16 22:50:11

Thank you! Was your pregnancy healthy? X

wickedwitchofwaterloo Mon 29-Aug-16 20:39:13

Oh gosh, I made that sound like it had a positive outcome sad
It wasn't no - was a super rare ectopic that had gotten stuck and was growing at the end of the tube and in the actual muscle of my womb, rather than in the womb itself. I had surgery to remove the 10 week pregnancy which if it had been left, would have burst through my womb. They took the tube as well.

Sorry if I've scared you, I just wanted to be honest and I am hoping you have a much better outcome flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now