when will i be able to find out? HELP please

(18 Posts)
Sophiehfz2805 Fri 17-Jun-16 21:34:09

Hi everyone. Im TTC after having a miscarriage at 5 months pregnant over 3 weeks ago.. when i finally stopped bleeding last week i started trying straight away after that. I was wondering that obviously after a late miscarriage you don't know when you're periods going to arrive.. I was wondering when can i find out by a test if I'm pregnant or not? i know it may be a bit early to tell yet. But was just wondering when i can.

Because i dont want to rely on 'pregnancy symptom signs' as i hardly got any last pregnancy:/

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 17-Jun-16 21:36:49

Has your HCG returned to normal and you've had a negative test? I had a MC on 1st Sept 2014, conceived again on 21st- tested early October so probably 5 weeks after the MC.

It took 3 weeks to get a negative test following the MC though so be mindful of that. So sorry for your loss.

kittyjewel Sat 18-Jun-16 04:14:02

I had a miscarriage start of May at 9 weeks. And I didn't use protection after, and around 2 weeks later I was curious, so I did a test, to my delight it was positive..so I got all excited but grounded too, as I thought it could be picking up on the left over hormone that hadn't left my body yet. And around 2 weeks later I got my first period. So my advice would be to wait at least 6 weeks, to avoid false pregnancy test (as it could be picking up on old hormone) I got my first period 5 weeks after miscarriage. But they say it can take anything between 4 weeks to 2 months. But the average is within 6 weeks apparently.
Hope this helps.

kittyjewel Sat 18-Jun-16 04:17:04

And sorry for your loss. I was booked in for a D&C as I had a missed miscarriage but miscarried naturally the night before.

Sophiehfz2805 Sat 18-Jun-16 15:03:29

Hi ladies. thank you for the replies , um its only been around 3 weeks since the MC. I started trying a week and a half ago.. So do you's think i should wait a while before taking a test? And how do i know about my HCG level? I dont know what it is, never have known:/ how do i find out? I am so curious thoughsad i just want to know if i am pregnant or not or if its too early i dont know..

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 18-Jun-16 15:42:05

Did the hospital give you any pregnancy tests? Mine did, and told me to check every couple of days Until they came back ad negative, that is when you know your HCG is back to normal, as raised HCG will give a positive test.

Test now, and if still showing positive do it again every few days until negative. Then, if no period in a few weeks test again and if it's positive you will know it is a new pregnancy and not residual hormones from the MC.

For dating purposes if you do get pregnant before a period like me, they use the first day of your MC as LMP and adjust if needed after 12 week scan.

Best of luck!

Sophiehfz2805 Sat 18-Jun-16 16:48:02

Yes i just tested and its negative, so that means im not pregnant right? I just need to keep trying i guess. sad

kittyjewel Sat 18-Jun-16 19:07:01

Yeah, I think it's too early. Good that it's negative, as it means ur body is preparing to get back into its cycle, so the sooner that happens, the sooner you can try again and be successful. Hospital should have gave you pregnancy tests. To see if your HGC goes back to normal. Took me around 3 weeks to loose the HGC hormone altogether. Hope this helps. X

Sophiehfz2805 Sat 18-Jun-16 22:18:09

Thank you kittyjewel x
Means more sense to me now it was all confusing at first lol, thanks for letting me know. So if i start trying from now is it possible i could get pregnant? Or does it normally happen after my first cycle? X

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sun 19-Jun-16 00:30:18

I got pregnant again before my next period, so it does happen! All the luck in the world OP!

kittyjewel Sun 19-Jun-16 01:52:29

Don't mention it! We're all here to help each other out. smile I was confused too, because I thought I was pregnant again, but didn't get my hopes up as I had a feeling it was prob picking up on old hormone & long & behold period came not long after. It is possible to get pregnant before your next cycle, but obviously it all depends if ur ovulating or not. It's hard tho because we don't know when we're ovulating Coz we don't know when the fast period will come. All I know is Doctors recommend you wait 3 months to try again, get a good cycle going on then ur ready to go! My friend got pregnant 6 weeks after miscarriage & then she lost that one too. I'm not saying that will happen God no, but maybe that's why doctors recommend you wait a while, lessens the risk of it happening again I think. But I know people who have had healthy babies before their first period after a miscarriage. All bodies are different I guess. X

kittyjewel Sun 19-Jun-16 01:54:53

That was meant to say first period not last**

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sun 19-Jun-16 07:05:13

Not all doctors reccomend waiting, mine said there is medically no need to and to just start trying as soon as we wanted, so long as the bleeding had stopped.

I was advised they used to prefer you to wait for a curate dating purposes, but now they just use the MC as period date and calculate the 12 week scan from there and then readjust if it's not accurate. When I went for mine I was 11 weeks so the rescanned me the following week.

kittyjewel Sun 19-Jun-16 09:42:20

True, doctor told me its advised but hospital didn't. I don't think they really know themselves tbh. I say just go for it, if you're going to have a baby & it's meant to be then it will happen, regardless of how long you wait after MC. I'm probably ovulating now, but I'm going back on the pill now, as I've just bought a house with my boyfriend and I wanna get settled in, buy stuff & enjoy the house a little.

Sophiehfz2805 Sun 19-Jun-16 11:52:16

Yeah thats what i was abit worried about but taking the test and having a negative test makes me know that a next positive twst would be accurate because the hormone has fully gone now. Just got to wait i guess and yeah thats the annoying bit i cant even use a fertility app because of last periods and everything. So just gotta try and wait i guess confused yeah i guess thats true, all bodies are different. Yeah my midwife told me also that some women get pregnant straight away after pregnancy because of being more fertile but at the same time it depends cos everyone is different. Are both of you's from england? X

Sophiehfz2805 Sun 19-Jun-16 11:53:32

And thats nice i hope you settle in well at your new home smile yeah when it happens it'll happen and i got pregnant straight after i came off the pill last time haha

kittyjewel Sun 19-Jun-16 20:45:12

I did too! I was on pill for 8 years, came off it, had one period then got pregnant! Within 8 weeks of coming off it! So sod it, I'm gunna enjoy the next few months being period pain free, then come off it when I wanna try again ha. Yer I'm from UK. N yes it is good that ur test was negative, as you know if it's positive next time then you defo are pregnant. Instead of having the confusion of its false or not. N thanks, it's a nice 5 bedroom, got it for cracking price. First home buyers n all that smileX

kittyjewel Sun 19-Jun-16 20:49:22

Yer, just try be patient about getting pregnant soon. Even tho I know it's exciting n ya just can't wait! I think it takes at at least 10 days for implantation, and takes around 2 weeks to show up on a test (that 2 weeks is including the implantation too). I got pregnant first time of googling an ovulation calendar. So internet ain't that bad! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now