D&C for retained product 2cm clot - please help!

(7 Posts)
jinglebellmel Fri 03-Jun-16 22:11:11

Hello, had a scan today 3 weeks post medical miscarriage as still have hcg 21. This showed a clot remaining around 2cm and they want to do a d&c/vacuum to remove. Everything I can see on line says 2cm is too small to wRrant this and it should be left to pass naturally. Any advice?

JOMH1982 Fri 03-Jun-16 23:10:51

Hi, I guess it depends on what grounds. they generally don't lie leaving tissue for too long as it poses a risk of infection. I had retained tissue for ten months which was absolutely horrendous, as it had blood flow, so have a discussion with them as to why if they haven't made it clear xx

AnUtterIdiot Sun 05-Jun-16 18:16:23

They will wait 2 or 3 weeks to see.of clots pass naturally but my doctor said that as long as you have retained product your uterus will continue to try and sluice it out with blood (I paraphrase) so you will continue to bleed. So they will offer a D&C if it hasn't passed after that time. Obviously it's up to you whether you want one though.

jinglebellmel Sun 05-Jun-16 18:57:24

Thanks both, that's helpful. I've not bleed for nearly 3 weeks now, very strange.

Bear2014 Mon 06-Jun-16 10:11:11

They did an erpc for me even though my retained product was only 1cm. This was 6 weeks after original miscarriage. I've felt great since the day after i had it done so it was definitely worth doing.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 06-Jun-16 12:15:25

That's odd. I'd probably go with what they advise, although I can see that if you're not actually bleeding it's frustrating to have to go through a surgical procedure.

jinglebellmel Wed 08-Jun-16 08:24:56

Just wanted to update for anyone in the same situation who may see this in future - the gynae who was going to be performing the surgery felt it wasn't neccesary as the clot was so small, and as my period had started she felt it should come away naturally or eventually be reabsorbed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now