Pain 6 weeks after...??

(5 Posts)
Paige84 Mon 30-May-16 20:02:04

I sadly went into labour and lost my tiny one just before 16 weeks. The hospital were happy at the time that the whole placenta had come away too. This was 6 weeks ago now. I have been bleeding ever since but had very little pain after the initial 4-5 days. This morning I was having very strong cramping and continuous pain which left me curled up literally unable to move or catch my breath (it was as bad as the contractions on that night) I initially thought it may be the first af but bleeding is very on and off. The pains have eased with high doses of cocodamol but I'm still in quite a bit of pain. I wondered if anyone had any idea if the first af should be expected to be quite so sore? Thanks x

AvaMercy Thu 02-Jun-16 12:13:03

Hi Paige,

I had my MC around 6 weeks ago and I did experience pains that sound like what you're describing but in maybe the 1st or second week after. It happened for two nights in a row and woke me up it was so bad. I called my hospital maternity team and the midwife that I spoke to said that this was most likely my uterus contracting and returning back to its usual size. I was worried and not so sure I trusted her judgement but it never happened again so I guess she was right.

If I were you, I would get some medical advice by going to the hospital or calling your midwife or maternity department. I'm not sure what the norm is as this was my first late miscarriage so I would say, if in doubt, get checked out (sorry for unintentional rhyming!)

Paige84 Thu 02-Jun-16 13:06:51

Hi Ava thanks for the reply. After the pain intensified (scarily) rather than getting easier I headed to the docs on Tuesday morning and it would seem I'm now septic. Hugely infected and endometritis too so have lots of meds and another scan once the inflammation has eased and now possibly have to have a D&C too. I naively thought I couldn't possibly have developed an infection this late in the game! This whole process is just never ending and so draining.
I'm so sorry for your loss too x

AvaMercy Thu 02-Jun-16 13:48:57

Ah Paige, I'm sorry to hear that. Good thing you went to see your doctor when you did though. I hope the meds work quickly and everything clears up without too much more proding and poking.

Actually, Just out of interest, and if you don't mind me asking, did your doc do a vaginal swab? (Bit like a smear)I went to get one done by my health centre's nurse, just to make sure I had no lingering infections following the MC (at my GPs recommendation) and she said that she could not go the swab whilst I was still spotting -which really, you'd think the GP might have mentioned! - just wondered if you had been told anything similar

But look, take care and if you do ever want to chat to someone who is going through this as well, I'm here.X

Paige84 Thu 02-Jun-16 14:38:21

Thank you. My doc didn't take a swab until this week, I think he was in the same mind as your health centre nurse and said while there was still blood they wouldn't find much.
The pain has definitely improved just 2 days into the antibiotics so I'm quite sure I'm on the mend now at least. I just finished work and have treated myself to a huge bar of galaxy..... It's a poor substitute for the bottle of red which I'd prefer but hey, it'll do for now! I hope you're not feeling too bad physically and thank you again for dropping a line x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now