Confused about miscarriage

(22 Posts)
Moptop32 Mon 30-May-16 10:08:45

Hi

I found out I was pregnant with a faint positive 2 days after my period was due on 17th May and did several over the next few days which remained faint positive. A digital confirmed 1-2 weeks on Friday 20th. Que much happiness after trying to conceive for a year. On wed 25th 10am I started to bleed red blood, small clots when I wiped. This carried on until Friday afternoon. I did not fill any pads during this time and had no pain. I did a test this morning with a test from the Doctor (was told to wait until Friday but couldn't deal with it any longer) and it was negative. sad I know that this means I've miscarried but it has left me with a lot of questions and I was hoping someone may be able to help. Is it normal for the blood flow to not fill pads as everything else I've read sounds like it should? I normally have heavy periods so this wasn't even like a normal period. Also do you think that the faint tests were an indication that something was wrong from the start? I'm so worried now that there is something wrong with me and I won't be able to have children, the lack of blood and faint positives have me wondering if I didn't provide enough lining for baby or that I have some sort of hormonal imbalance. I'm hoping that someone else may have had a similar experience? Thanks for reading

CharleyFarleyy Mon 30-May-16 10:12:55

Im sorry I dont have any advice or usefull infomation but I wanted to to say sorry that this has happened to you sad flowers

Moptop32 Mon 30-May-16 10:18:45

Thanks CharleyFarley. I'm a bit all over the place just now. You never expect it to end like this when you find out you're pregnant although in a strange way it was almost like I knew it wasn't meant to be as a few days before the bleed I was convinced I wasn't going to have a baby at the end of it, I guess sometimes your body knows before it happens.

Alibobbob Mon 30-May-16 10:22:03

Hi Mop

I can only tell you of my own experience.

My first pregnancy I like you had a faint line pregnancy test result. This pregnancy never felt right for various reasons. My bleed was heavier than yours but my pregnancy was further on at 6 weeks.

I went on to have two daughters I am confident you will go on to have healthy pregnancies/children. I know of 3 others who miscarried their first baby all now have more than one child.

Sending you hugs, take care
X

Alibobbob Mon 30-May-16 10:26:45

Mop just adding to my post and your response to Charley.

My first pregnancy didn't feel right. I desperately wanted a baby and was torn between feeling happy and extremely anxious. I believed my first pregnancy was ectopic as I believed I could feel where my baby was. I was frightened and this was when I found out I was pregnant days before I started to bleed. A day or two before the bleed I felt a pop.

I would agree that sometimes you know
X

MrsMushrooms Mon 30-May-16 10:26:53

Faint positives often don't mean anything (could just be that it was earlier than you thought, that you were super hydrated, or maybe that you'd already started the MC without knowing). None of that is your fault, or a problem with your body. Early MC bleeding can be really, really light

MrsMushrooms Mon 30-May-16 10:29:13

... Sorry, accidentally posted too early!

Anyway, light bleeding also isn't something to worry about. The vast majority of women who have 1 MC go on to have perfectly normal pregnancies the next time, the only indication that something is up would be 3 MCs in a row.

You didn't do anything wrong, and you did get pregnant so I'm sure it'll happen again and everything will go just fine smile

Moptop32 Mon 30-May-16 10:40:07

Thanks everyone. I guess I'm just shocked at how little blood there was but I was expecting the worst as soon as I saw it. It's just so hard isn't it, I have been being monitored for a borderline thyroid since I was 18 but the doctor has said that my levels are on the low side of normal so I'm hoping that this has just been a one off. I guess everyone feels like this after it happens sad

sleeplessinthewest Mon 30-May-16 11:21:30

Hi I had a miscarriage at 4 weeks on the 26th April and four weeks later I still have pregnancy symptoms. I experinecd contraction pains twice in the middle of the night and then bleeding (filled the toilet). I then passed what I can only describe as a ball of jelly (clear) with a black spot in it and about the size of a little bit bigger than a marble. After this I had two extremely strong cramps lasting around a few minutes followed by more bleeding (not as strong as a period). Since the bleeding has stopped (around 2 weeks ago) I am getting dark brown discharge and also pinky discharge but still have extremely sore breasts and nausea. Could I still be pregnant?? My head is mashed with all these forums I am reading. I havent been to the doctor too scared!

MrsMushrooms Mon 30-May-16 11:29:43

sleepless you absolutely have to go to the doctor

sleeplessinthewest Mon 30-May-16 11:40:59

Thank you MrsMushrooms I will book an appointment (my gp isnt the most reliable Dr!) Does this sound like a miscarriage? I feel totally pain free and normal apart from the nausea and sore breasts!

MrsMushrooms Mon 30-May-16 11:49:11

I have no idea, you said you experienced a miscarriage so I can only go off that - but you won't get diagnosed on here or any forum, you have to see a doctor and make sure there isn't leftover tissue.

Moptop32 Mon 30-May-16 12:03:12

Hi sleeplessinthewest. I've just been on the phone to my Doctor to explain that I had the negative test this morning as I had appointments that I needed to cancel. He has asked me in to do blood tests to see what my status is as he is concerned about lack of blood loss and tissue. I thought that the negative would mean that it is complete but he seemed to think that blood tests over a few days were the only sure way to know. This has made me feel better as although it doesn't change the facts at least I will know that everything is going back to normal. I just wish that the other doctor had offered this last week as I'd be onto my second lot of tests by now. I thought that my wait was finally over this morning but I guess I still have a bit to go

sleeplessinthewest Mon 30-May-16 12:16:33

Hi Moptop so sorry your going through this! I have never been trough this before as I was only 4 weeks at the time and they say it will be natural and there is nothing can be done only waiting. Although 4 weeks later I am asking myself is this a period or still miscarriage! I have booked an appointment with a different surgery and hopefully will get some peace and can turn my brain off for a while! Thank you x

Moptop32 Mon 30-May-16 12:56:10

I know the feeling sleeplessinthewest am so sorry that it's happened to you too. I hope the doctor can give you more answers. Take care and let me know how you get on sad

sleeplessinthewest Mon 30-May-16 13:03:39

I will do! and plus do not be worried I'm sure you will continue to have a healthy happy pregnancy xx

BethLangdon Mon 30-May-16 21:08:22

After having 2 miscarriages, both in the 12 week stage there was a LOT of bleeding and strong cramps that made me feel like I was going to burst! Then had to stay in hospital both times because of excessive bleeding and for them to remove the tissue which is really unpleasant.

I think because the pregnancy is earlier on for you maybe there is less bleeding and cramps etc. I also get really heavy periods and cramps anyway so that might factor in.
Having talked to lots of doctors and nurses about this they said that 2/5 is usual(!) which feels insensitive and hurtful considering the upset it causes you and your family. But they also reassured me that it is nothing to do with your body and that it is normally due to a DNA abnormality. They tried to make sure I knew this when I left seeing as I was worried my bicorneate uterus may also have had something to do with this.
I actually managed to get them to book me at the recurring miscarriage clinic but will probably not be able to go being pregnant 2 month after the last one(!)
Also I agree with previous people that faint positive is still a positive and my Dr said it was strong when I did a test later on at his for one of my pregnancies.

Hope this helped! If there is something else you want to ask that I might be able to talk to you about please shoot smile

JOMH1982 Mon 30-May-16 21:17:37

Moptop - when you go to the drs please ask them to check your thyroid levels again and, if need be, get some advice. I had a consultation on Friday for recurrent miscarriage and I was told that thyroid problems can increase risk of recurrent miscarriage, but that it is easily treated. I may be barking up the wrong tree, but doesn't hurt to get it ruled out of the gp had concerns previously. Best of luck xxx

Moptop32 Mon 30-May-16 22:34:11

Thanks BethLangdon, so glad to hear you are pregnant. It's nice to see good news on these sorts of posts! The doctor I spoke to today was so lovely, really apologetic about what was happening and even asked a bit about my family life. I actually had a bit of a cry to him on the phone as he made me feel like he cared. He also expected there to be more bleeding and pain so was not happy to leave me at the negative test and explained a lot more than I was told at my first app( the GP I spoke to when it all started didn't really explain anything about miscarriage and left me with advice that they only needed to see me again if I was still pregnant, so I was super stressed and unsure of what to expect) to be honest I'm surprised that theres not even a leaflet or something they can give you to help prepare you!

JOMH1982

I was actually calling the Doctor regarding my last thyroid tests as I know they showed my SHGB was 29 which was described by the receptionist as borderline low (anything below 29 is apparently a problem) as the Dr never called with a follow up I just assumed they thought it was fine but I'm thinking I should probably ask when I see the Dr just to be sure since it's quite low. I really hope it's not a problem though as I'd love to become a Mum to more than just my two fur babies in the near future smile

I had a wee breakdown this afternoon after I called my husband and told him about the test. He sent a message about his heart being a bit sore and it tipped me over the edge. Letting it all out has helped a bit, today is the first time I've had a good cry about it sad

BethLangdon Tue 31-May-16 11:40:34

Thank you smile
I'm glad the next doctor talked to you about it in more detail as with what you have been told before that didn't sound helpful at all! Especially when you are confused and upset.
Depending of you have a lot more bleeding and painful cramps you may have to go in to hospital so they can examine and remove some tissue (it can get stuck) and they can give you better pain relief also if it becomes unbearable (although morphine didn't touch it for me but I have always had strong cramps)
I was given a few leaflets about miscarriage etc but most of the information was similar to what I had been told and reading them just made me think about it more. They do suggest counselling and give you some numbers sometimes and I have not attended any because I would rather deal with it in my own and move on etc but some people ha e for bad it very helpful.
Good luck with the future and keep us updated smilebiscuit

sleeplessinthewest Tue 31-May-16 15:42:21

Hi all,I went to the doctor but really needent have as my pregnancy symptoms completely went away as my period had started yesterday before I went. It is extremely heavy but not much pain as I think the MC pain couldn't compare. The doctor did a pregnancy test which came back negative (first negative I've had since MC) My nightmare is over and I'm going to let my mind relax and body recover before trying again. smile

Moptop32 Fri 19-Aug-16 20:12:10

Just wanted to update this post. Today, 12 weeks later I've come back from my scan where there was a happy wriggly, little baby! Turns out I fell pregnant straight after so all of my worries about having something wrong with me were unfounded!smile
Hope everyone else is as blessed xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now