3rd procedure for retained products of conception following missed miscarriage

(12 Posts)
elizajosiah Wed 11-May-16 22:06:35

I had a scan at 11 weeks that showed our much wanted baby, Josiah had died at 8 weeks 1 day. I am 38 and we don't find it easy to conceive.

In january I had surgical management (dilation and evacuation)

2 weeks later I was infected, on antibiotics and had to have a second procedure.

In March I was bleeding for prolonged periods and a home pregnancy test was still showing I was pregnant ( no chance of new pregnancy). Scan showed 18.5mm thickness and incomplete miscarriage...After TWO procedures. I was rescanned a week later thickness now 13.5mm bhcg 19 and discharged. No bleeding for 18 days then bled for 21 days. Repeat scan showed thickness of 14.9mm and incomplete miscarriage

Last week I had a hysteroscopy and resection under ultrasound guidance. I hope this is the end of it. Anyone else had the same experience?

JOMH1982 Wed 11-May-16 22:13:15

Hi
I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a tough time. I haven't had three in a row for one loss, but I did have a ten month long miscarriage after not being followed up by the early pregnancy unit, and had two lots of medical management and two D and C's. It was a harrowing year and I kept thinking, why is this not over yet, physically, as the emotional loss is still there. Have you had all three procedures at the same place? Xx

JOMH1982 Wed 11-May-16 22:16:26

Strange though that it went from 13.9 to 14.5; it's good they did a hysteroscopy andcould see what they were doing. I had my fourth d and C done privately (had retained placenta 12 weeks after late miscarriage) as I wanted to make sure they got it all in one go with ultrasound as well as hysteroscopy. That was a resection and that worked. I hope you're doing ok xx

caza25 Wed 11-May-16 22:36:50

I am really sorry to hear about both of what you went through. It is so horrible having t go through a miscarriage and then for it to keep going.

I don't know if I am going thorough the same thing? I had a D&C for a mc at 11 weeks. Then I got an infection and I got tablets for the infection and to pass whatever was there. I passed large clots for a whole day. Then bleed for two weeks. I had pain for about another week. Then it started. Two weeks later I thought I would do a pregnant test as I was feeling strange it came back to day 1-2 pregnant. But then got what I think was my period. A week later it us still saying 1-2 pregnant, which doesn't add up time wise. Is this a sign I could have retained products. Plus I have pains in my sides?

elizajosiah Wed 11-May-16 22:41:46

To caza25

You definitely need a scan and a blood BHcG level...
it could well be retained products, but only a scan, bloods and gynae review will tell you...
please please phone the early pregnancy unit for advice tomorrow...

elizajosiah Wed 11-May-16 22:44:17

thanks JOMH1982...yes they were all at the same hospital...

elizajosiah Wed 11-May-16 22:47:03

i think everyone should have serial BHCgs until zero like in other countries...all of us on this thread would not have had these experiences if they had...

Sorry you have both had miserable times...

caza25 Wed 11-May-16 22:55:56

Thanks, I am going to go to the local EPU for a scan in the morning. I am just annoyed that they didn't tell me to check that the pregnancy had fallen to zero after my mc. They don't give an information on what to look out for or how to look after yourself. I had even been to the doctors 3 times last month and they kept saying it just takes time. It is all so upsetting.

JOMH1982 Thu 12-May-16 08:34:46

Glad to hear you're going, Caza25. It is appalling how so many of us are left in anguish. I keep thinking, what can I do about this, use my experience to help others...not sure where to start xx

elizajosiah Thu 12-May-16 09:07:27

I intend to write up a case report with a complaint and insist on improved training! Most of my complaint is not with the procedures failing,..it happens. It's the attitude of junior staff and her attempt to fob me off.. It's only because I got a second opinion that I feel this is hopefully finally over.

caza25 Thu 12-May-16 14:55:04

The scan was inconclusive, they can't see any signs of an old or new pregnancy. They see fluid but don't know what it is, so have to go back in two weeks for another scan. It is so hard when the problem keeps continuing. Hopefully in a few weeks everything will be back to normal.

elizajosiah Thu 12-May-16 17:11:15

Hi Caz...glad you have had a scan and there is nothing of immediate alarm...let us know in 2 weeks....Sending a big virtual hug!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now