Pregnant again after 4 consecutive miscarriages - what to ask GP?

(16 Posts)
AnnieHoo Thu 31-Mar-16 10:03:26

Hello - looking for some advice here and pretty desperate,

Just found out I'm 4 weeks pregnant and I'm going today to ask if I can try out some drugs this time in the hope that it will make a difference. I seem to miscarry at 9 or 10 weeks but embryo doesn't make it past 7wks. I've had all the tests done and been discharged from ob/gyn consultant after last mc as they said there was nothing else they could do. My next choice was to go to Coventry to see Prof Quenby but I didn't go as I'm afraid I didn't have the strength of heart.

From research I've put together my list to ask for his opinion about:

1. Progesterone pessaries (400mg Cyclogest) twice a day from day until 12 completed weeks of pregnancy
2. Steroid (Prednisolone) until 12 weeks
3. Get an early scan to confirm the embryo is in the right place (not ectopic)
4. Daily injections with Heparin (Clexane or Lovenox) until 12 weeks.
5. Progynova 2mg daily

I'd also like to get blood test for HGC, Progesterone, Thyroid and Vitamin D if possible.

I've got ten minutes to beg for this! I'm 42 so not going to try again after this as it's been so hard emotionally.

AnnieHoo Thu 31-Mar-16 10:52:00

Oh and I just want to say that I also realise that the reality is there may be absolutely nothing anyone can do due to chromosome decay and it's likely the GP will say let nature take it's course. The blood tests would be reassuring though so I'll get them.

AlbusPercival Thu 31-Mar-16 10:55:22

Hi Annie.

I ave had 2 mc, am currently 10 weeks and terrified.

No NHS help as apparently I havent suffered enough yet, but some research threw up that vitamin b6, vitamin e, high strength folic acid, zinc and iron can all help, so I am taking them all as supplements.

Not sure how strong the evidence is,but figured it couldnt hurt.

Am also taking a baby aspirin everyday.

Maybe ask GP about those?

AnnieHoo Thu 31-Mar-16 11:34:37

Thanks Albus and quiet congratulations to you on being 10 weeks, that's good. Can you get an early reassurance scan through referral from GP or sefl-referral to your EPU? If you tell them you are very anxious because of previous mc's you may be able to get one.

I'll ask about other deficiencies - I'm taking centrum pre pregnancy which covers them all but think i should take extra folic acid on top of the 400micrograms daily so I'll ask about that too. Don't want to take too much and cause harm. I started taking 75mg aspirin a day. I did that in previous pregnancies and it didn't make a difference but i'll stick to it now just incase.

It's SO hard. I'm trying not to let this overwhelm me as I will become really anxious but I can feel it's taking over already. Need to breath and find lots of distractions!

I hope it all works out for you this time.

AlbusPercival Thu 31-Mar-16 13:26:33

Thanks Annie, you too

caza25 Thu 31-Mar-16 13:29:13

How about daily aprin 75mg

bonzo77 Thu 31-Mar-16 13:32:54

caza op is taking it already.

OP I'm so sorry for your many losses. I suspect your GP might be spectacularly unhelpful. Can you self refer to the Cov clinic? Call them and explain the situation?

AnnieHoo Thu 31-Mar-16 14:54:54

Thanks bonzo I think you're right. I am expecting a crap reception from my GP, sadly. Appointment is at 4.10pm.

For Coventry you have to go for a biopsy at ovulation and then the prescribe a protocol for when you next get pregnant so I've missed the boat there anyway.

Iggi999 Thu 31-Mar-16 15:02:22

I would personally get something privately prescribed. I had a helpful GP but she still wouldn't take over my private (Shehata) prescription. I found having a protocol gave me the strength to try one last time (I lost 4) and I was successful on a combination of everything you've said other than nos 4 and 5. Your GP really isn't in a position to help. You can take baby aspirin without prescription. Take vitamin D3 too, and if you are on thyroid mediation your dose needs to be increased.

iggi999 Thu 31-Mar-16 15:06:00

I took extra strength folic acid too, I forgot about that. If I were you I would call a clinic in London (I can only recommend the one I used) and see what their timescales are. You want the same treatment you'd get from Coventry anyway. And as hard as it is I wouldn't close my mind to a try on full treatment.

AnnieHoo Thu 31-Mar-16 15:11:36

Thanks iggi how do i get a private prescription? Should i ask my GP? I would be happy with just progesterone suppositories and Prednisolone.

I'm taking aspirin and I'll take all the vitamin supplements.

I'll get tested for thyroid as I have polycystic ovaries but 2 consultants have said it's mild so not the syndrome. I'd like it tested though.

Iggi999 Thu 31-Mar-16 15:47:01

Since you're seeing your GP anyway I would definitely ask. I don't know what they can do, and I'm in Scotland so rules may be different. To get my prescription I had an appointment with Dr S, he only did a few tests as I had results from all my NHS ones, and he sent me a prescription that I took to any pharmacy to be filled - only difference is you then pay for it. I was already pg when I saw him and unfortunately lost that one, but tried again a few months later and now have a three year old. It seems mad to see a doctor so far away, but I didn't have many trips to make in the end. If you are in England you might be able to be referred to him on NHS, but there's be a long wait.

AnnieHoo Thu 31-Mar-16 17:46:11

Thank you so much iggi. I'm in Scotland too, in the islands, so that is good advice, i may end up going to Dr S if I can muster up the strength after this.

Just back from GP and he did a urine test. At first he said it was negative and then a faint line. I did a Clearblue digital this morning and it said 2-3 weeks so i was a bit taken aback. Then he said "do you have your period?" I said no and he said "of course no sorry, but you have blood in your urine so I'll send it off to the lab". I'm really concerned about the blood in my urine now.

It's not sounding good. He's going to test my HCG and test it again next week and then discuss referral to ob/gyn for support. He was very supportive and kind. I feel a bit upset now, i don't think this is going to last very long sadly.

Iggi999 Thu 31-Mar-16 18:32:37

I do hope this works out for you. I found the recurrent miscarriage threads on here very supportive and a mine of useful information. It was a shock to me to see how many mcs some posters have and are still carrying on - often successfully! But only you know when you have had enough. In your shoes I think I would want to try once with everything thrown at it. Please PM me if I can add anything more specific to help.
But let's not give up on this wee bean yet, you are pupo! (Pregnant until proven otherwise!)

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 31-Mar-16 18:53:26

I hope the tests give you good news.

One thing I had was twice weekly hcg injections until I was 16 weeks. My consultant was a bit of a maverick but she had experience of it helping so prescribed it.

AnnieHoo Thu 31-Mar-16 20:53:50

Thank you all so much. I'll pop into the recurrent miscarriage thread again for some support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now