Should I go ahead with medical management?

(3 Posts)
swancourt Thu 17-Mar-16 22:13:10

Hi there. I've already posted on this forum, but have a separate question now.

I started bleeding at 8 weeks 4 days pregnant (two weeks ago today). A private scan the following day revealed a gestational sac and yolk sac and a tiny foetal pole with no heartbeat. An NHS scan three days later confirmed all this, but I had to wait a further 9 days for a second NHS scan to confirm it again before I could be offered ERPC. At that stage there was still a lot of blood flow to the area suggesting that my body was missing the miscarriage.

I bled until Monday - with no pain or cramps and only one real clot to speak of - and then it stopped apart from a tiny bit of brown spotting. Almost nothing. I had my last scan yesterday, and it revealed that there was very little tissue left: some tissue in my cervix and a tiny collapsed sac of only 2 x 7mm. The lining of my uterus was thin. The doctor said I could have an ERPC if I really wanted it over and done with, and I had been ready to ask for this so I agreed. But then the nurse who came to book it all in said that was too extreme for such a small amount of tissue (and I agreed), so she offered me medical management instead. I am booked in for Monday.

Today I have started bleeding again. Not much, but there was tissue in it. I'm thinking that this might be the last of it and, if so, I'm going to have medical management for no reason. Part of me thinks, though, that I might as well have the medical management to really and truly clear out absolutely anything that is left behind, especially since I am all booked in.

What would you do? What happens if you have medical management and there's nothing left anyway? I don't think the hospital will re-scan me on Monday, though I could always ask.

purpleflower23 Sat 26-Mar-16 08:09:55

Hey there,

I'm really sorry you're going through this, miscarriage sucks flowers.

I had medical management with my first miscarriage (11 weeks). I had the first tablet and then went home, booked in to take the second tablet at the hospital but passed loads of stuff in the meantime at home, including a large mass of tissue. Something told me to keep this (sorry TMI) and so I took it with me to the hospital. They compared this with the scan results and said it was about the amount of tissue they were expecting so I wouldn't need to have the second tablet. I didn't have another scan.

I don't know if any of this helps you but maybe they won't go ahead with the MM if they think you have already passed everything you need to?

Good luck xxx

KittyandTeal Sat 26-Mar-16 08:26:01

It sounds like this has been going on a while and it's not completed yet so if I were you I would go for a medical management to help your body along.

I'm sorry you are going through this 💐

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now