How much time off work?

(9 Posts)
twinklexx Tue 01-Dec-15 11:49:30

I've just had a mc at 11 weeks. I had to go to hospital due to excessive blood loss and have medication to complete everything.
I'm home now and ok but am wondering how long to ask the doctor to sign me off work for.
I get a bit teary periodically and I don't want to be crying at my desk at work. I am definitely going to have this week off to recover physically but am also thinking mentally.
How long did you get signed off sick for? I don't want people to think I'm taking the piss

Nospringflower Tue 01-Dec-15 11:51:51

Sorry to hear your news. I just took the week off that it happened but I think it depends very much on how you are feeling both physically and mentally and you should take as long as you need. You could ask for a week and go back to docs if need longer.

twinklexx Tue 01-Dec-15 13:50:27

Thankyou. I am waiting for the doctor to phone me so I will ask for a week to begin with.

maybebabybee Tue 01-Dec-15 13:55:36

I had 2 weeks off in the end - one self-cert and then got the doctor to sign me off for another week. I was 6 weeks along so very early but needed the time and my work are supportive.

There's no one size fits all approach really. Do what you need for yourself. And sorry for your loss flowers

Faybells Tue 01-Dec-15 14:03:25

I am so very sorry for your loss, and for the horrible experience you had. I too had a very traumatic mc at 11.5 weeks. I was admitted to hospital after passing out several times with heavy blood loss. I had an emergency procedure to remove everything to complete the mc and stop the bleeding. It was awful and i am sorry you have shared a similar experience. I send a hug flowers

I had 2 weeks off work and thankfully my boss was very sympathetic and allowed a graded return to work, so i did short days for the first week back (3 weeks agter mc). To be honest, i found that was appropriate and i welcomed the short days as, although much better, i was still very tired and weak at that point. I think it wasnt until around 4 weeks after that i really felt back to normal physically.

Emotionally it has taken a lot longer. Around the 3rd and 4th week after mc thwre were a couple of days at work where i was very tearful and went home. And even after that, my hormones have taken a long time to settle. My first period and subsequent cycles have been quite erratic and pmt has been awful. I think the 3rd period/cycle felt normal.

Basically please dont rush yourself. Dont feel u should be 'back to normal' and at worl next week. Allow yourself as much time as u need. I would recommend 2 weeks off work, minimum, as the blood loss alone is physically traumatic and takes time recovering from. Let alone the emotional trauma. Be kind to yourself. I send yoi lots of love and hugs. Thinking of you x

twinklexx Tue 01-Dec-15 20:32:04

Thank you and flowers for all of you too.
Fortunately my boss should be quite reasonable so I don't think I'll be rushed back. My doctor has signed me off for thisweek told me to phone again if I need more time off for next week.
I think i'm struggling a bit as I had a mc in August at 6 weeks as well. I had no time off and to be honest just put it out my mind so I think it's a combination of both now hitting me.

Blueskies80 Tue 01-Dec-15 22:30:04

Sorry for your loss. MC is just awful. Take as long as you need off. I had a similar experience in April and had a mc at 11 weeks and heavy blood loss and emergency eprc and was signed off for three weeks. Even then I was very weak with the blood loss (nearly had a transfusion). Don't push yourself too soon as you can make things worse.

Unfortunately had another mc at 7 weeks recently and this time it wasn't as bad medically (was bad emotionally but I was prepared for it as an early scan wasn't promising) and took about a week off.

Look after yourself and listen to your body xx

GoApeShit Thu 03-Dec-15 14:01:49

So sorry for your loss. flowers

I had two weeks off. After this I felt ready (mentally and physically) to go back, but it was still hard.

Take all the time you need, and anyone who thinks you're taking the piss can do one.

eatingworms Fri 04-Dec-15 17:26:52

I took 3 weeks off both times. GP was more than happy to sign me off and my work were very understanding.
I'm very sorry to hear you are going through this, I know how awful it can be. Look after yourself. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now