When will my pregnancy test be negative?

(7 Posts)
amymb86 Fri 28-Aug-15 18:11:43

Hi all,

I suffered a silent miscarriage 2 weeks ago today. I was supposed to be 11 weeks but the foetus stopped growing at 8+4 weeks. It was a devastating blow. I miscarried naturally without a D&C but needed the two sets of tablets to try and speed up some of the pregnancy tissue removal. This process happened in hospital a week ago on Tuesday (10 days ago) and a scan confirmed that I had already passed the sac. I stopped miscarrying about 2 days ago.

I was told to take a pregnancy test 2 weeks from the start of the miscarriage to see if there was a negative result. This was meant to be today, but there's still a positive result showing.

I know it's only a small issue in the scale of what I've been through, but it's really bothered me. I feel that I can't move on with my life if my body still thinks I'm pregnant. How long will I be showing that I'm pregnant for?

Tftpoo Fri 28-Aug-15 18:34:12

Hi amy. So sorry to hear about your loss. I had a missed mc in June this year and had surgery to remove everything. I was advised by the hospital to do a test after 3 weeks but my first -ve test was 12 days after surgery. There is a small chance after mc that not all the pregnancy tissue has passed - did the hospital tell you what to do if you had a +ve after 2 weeks? I would ring them and ask for advice, they may want to scan you again or they might say wait another week and test again. So sorry you're going through this.

amymb86 Fri 28-Aug-15 19:14:33

Tftpoo, thanks so much for your reply and sorry to hear your loss too. They told me to ring them if it wasn't showing negative. I may wait till Tuesday as that was the day that I lost the sac. I'll retest again on Monday. It's just so upsetting. I tested this morning and felt relieved when I saw only one line, but when I returned 5 minutes later one had appeared! I know my hcg levels must be on the lower side as when I first found I was pregnant, the double line was almost instant.

HollyJenni Sun 30-Aug-15 21:42:55

I am going through the same. Still have small bleeding only when I wipe and my tests is positive still. It will be three weeks since I MC this coming Friday x

amymb86 Sun 30-Aug-15 22:25:48

HollyJenni, I'm so sorry to hear your loss. It's completely rubbish isn't it? Was yours natural or D&C? I've heard that natural takes slightly longer to get a negative. I don't know about you but i see pregnant women wherever i go, it's heartbreaking.
I tested this morning and the line was very faint so at least I know that I'm heading in the right direction. Im hoping to get a complete negative soon.

Tftpoo Mon 31-Aug-15 10:54:17

Sounds like things are heading in the right direction for you amy. I remember squinting and squinting at sticks until I really couldn't see anything then did a cb digital to confirm. It was sad to see 'not pregnant' come up but kind of a relief as well as I felt it marked a milestone and that the mc was over. Have you decided whether to try again? There are a couple of wonderful threads on here which really helped me through - the head wreck and hope thread on the miscarriage/pregnancy board and ttc after mc thread on the conception board. Good luck xx

amymb86 Mon 31-Aug-15 12:59:30

We will definitely be trying again. I'll definitely have a look over on the conception board. It's a comfort speaking to others who have been through the same thing. Thanks so much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now