HcG slow to rise

(5 Posts)
Anon4Now2015 Wed 24-Jun-15 19:13:05

I posted this in Pregnancy but haven't had many replies and realised it might be better to post it here.

The link to the thread is here: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2405551-HCG-levels-not-doubling-at-5-weeks?msgid=55161742#55161742

In a nutshell, last week (at 5 weeks) my HcG levels were on the low end of normal range and were doubling quite slowly (up 74% in 72 hours). This week (currently 6+4) they are still on the low end of normal and are doubling even more slowly (almost doubling in 6 days/144 hours).

I had a missed miscarriage in January/February and then was diagnosed with high FSH (22) and told my only real chance of becoming pregnant was IVF with donor eggs - before then amazingly becoming pregnant naturally. I know that because of the raised FSH my chances of miscarriage are higher than normal and I'm terrified.

Does anyone have any experience of HcG levels that are slow to double and/or are on the low side? I'm really panicking and would like to hear anyone's thoughts/experiences even if they are telling me I should prepare for the worst.

bakingtins Wed 24-Jun-15 19:42:28

Will EPU scan you? With HCG above 1000 they expect to see something, and at 6 + 3 you'd be hoping for a heartbeat. The caveat to that is if they don't see a heartbeat it's too early to be definite the pregnancy is not progressing and you might be left in limbo for another week.
I have no direct experience with HCG readings but understand the rate of increase ( doubling in 48-72 hrs) is more important than the actual numbers. Not quite doubling in 6 days doesn't sound v hopeful to me, sorry sad

High FSH = low ovarian reserve, is that right? Does it directly increase MC rate or is it because there are more dodgy eggs?

Anon4Now2015 Wed 24-Jun-15 20:03:21

Yes high FSH indicates low ovarian reserve. It increases the miscarriage rate because the eggs are likely to be lower quality

Thanks for your reply. We have a scan booked in for a week on Friday but it seems like ages away. Just trying to see if we can book a private one earlier. The "not quite doubling in 6 days" doesn't sound optimistic to me either but the GP says that it seems fine and not to worry so I doubt she's going to try to move the scan forward.

Anon4Now2015 Thu 25-Jun-15 10:28:10

i've now been referred for a scan tomorrow (6+6) Anyone know what I should hope to see and what would be a bad sign?

bakingtins Thu 25-Jun-15 13:00:30

They date by measuring the foetal pole, which should be growing at 1 mm a day from 6 weeks, so a 6mm FP would be dated 6+6. foetal heartbeat should appear between 6 and 7 weeks. If you have a FP measuring within a few days of your dates and a heartbeat that is excellent news. It's almost certain to need a transvaginal scan, just so you are prepared for that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now