Still a positive preg test 3 wks after miscarriage

(9 Posts)
thelionsleeps Thu 14-May-15 18:30:11

Had a miscarriage just over 3 weeks ago. Was just 6 weeks pregnant and then had a very heavy bleed basically like a heavy period - bright red blood with lots of bits (sorry if tmi).

The day before my boobs had stopped feeling sore and I had stopped feeling really tired. I was going to go to the epu when the bleeding first started but once it got so heavy the next day together with loss of symptoms I just knew. I also went on holiday the day after so wasn't able to go down to epu.

However pregnancy tests are still showing as positive over 3 weeks later. I'm using the poundworld ones. Has anyone had this? Getting worried something may be left inside although bleeding has stopped - only lasted 3-4 days and I feel fine. Would you feel unwell if bits left inside?

KittyandTeal Thu 14-May-15 18:38:06

I'm sorry about your miscarriage.

I had a tfmr in jan at 22 weeks. I was told to refrain from poas for up to 6 weeks as it would take that long for the hcg to return to normal. I don't know if that time is different for 6 weeks but I imagine it'll just take a while for it to get back to normal

sebsmummy1 Thu 14-May-15 18:43:27

So sorry for your loss. I've had three, one in March and was nearly three months and it was a MMC so my body was still merrily producing hormones. Didn't even look at an hpt until 6 weeks after my surgery and even then there was still the slightest of lines.

I would give it some more time and test again unless you are worried about retained products. If you have any pain or funny smells/discharge then it might be worth asking for another scan to check everything has passed.

thelionsleeps Thu 14-May-15 18:49:25

Thanks guys. I feel fine and no discharge. Just can't wait to try again really so fingers crossed back to normal soon.

KittyandTeal Thu 14-May-15 19:59:08

If it helps my cycles got back to 'normal' fairly soon after my tfmr. I bleed for around 10 days then had my first period 4 weeks later so I guess the body kicks back into it pretty quickly.

I was told that I would be very fertile for the first few months after having my DD2 so to use protection if we wanted to avoid another pregnancy (which we did, not ready emotionally yet)

I'm not sure if it's the same with an 'early' loss but my cycle has been permanently effected in that it is now longer (27 days compared to 24) and heavier.

Good luck with tcc again

thelionsleeps Thu 14-May-15 20:05:05

Thanks kitty for the advice. Sorry about your loss and it must be so hard to have to make that decision. X

Bubblybubbles80 Thu 14-May-15 20:45:32

thelionsleeps i had positive test 3-4 week after my m/c it take some time to get back to normal

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Sun 17-May-15 06:50:00

Sorry for your loss. I had something similar, felt fine but was still getting positive pregnancy test until 4 weeks post miscarriage. I pushed for a scan at 3 weeks as I was getting stressed out. I also had blood tests which showed the hcg level coming down. If you feel this would help you, you could ask your GP for a referral

FishWithABicycle Sun 17-May-15 07:27:02

So sorry for your loss. 3 weeks later it could be either that it's just taking a while for hormones to get back to normal, or could be that there is still something inside. The latter does happen quite often. You don't have to wait, ask for a scan to check for retained tissue. If nothing is found then it will just be a matter of time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now