What does shoulder pain feel like in ectopics?

(6 Posts)
Olive1987 Mon 01-Sep-14 17:00:12

Hello. I've just done a pregnancy test after previous bfn's and it's a lovely clear 2nd positive line!!!!
I'm worried though because I keep getting pains. It feels like period pain and then sometimes like and on off pain on my left side low down. Like where my ovaries are? I've had two previous miscarriages in a row so I am scared I've got an ectopic now! The pain was before I knew I was pregnant. It hasn't happened in a couple of days now.

But

Yesterday at work I had a pain in my shoulder. Right at the tip. It lasted about 30 seconds and was like a sharp throbbing. If that makes sense?
If I was reading this myself I would probably say it's nothing to worry about I'm just being paranoid because of the previous losses. I just can't help but worry. All I've ever been to the doctors for recently is bleeding in pregnancy. I think the epu are getting to know me. I feel like I shouldn't go back just yet.

If you had an ectopic what did your shoulder pain feel like? (If you don't mind talking about it). Thank you. X

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Mon 01-Sep-14 21:09:19

I haven't had an ectopic pregnancy but have had similar one sided 'ovary' type pain (no shoulder tip pain though) and this page was helpful for me and meant I felt I could discount ectopic pregnancy for the moment.

If you are still worried I would give the EPAU a call, it is what they are there for and they would much rather see you than risk you getting very ill. Hopefully it is just your uterus stretching and an unconnected muscular pain, but better safe than sorry. smile

EffinIneffable Wed 03-Sep-14 13:42:29

When I had a laparoscopy to investigate suspected ectopic, I had shoulder tip pain afterwards, as they inflate your abdomen to do the procedure. This is pretty much the same as ectopic shoulder pain apparently as both are caused by excess pressure on the diaphragm - bleeding in the case of ectopic, air in the case of a laparoscopy.

It was, as they say, weird, and absolutely nothing like muscular pain, almost like someone was poking me from the inside out, but quite sharp. The pain changed a bit with my breathing, and was made better by only breathing shallowly.

If your pain was yesterday and hasn't come back, I doubt you have much to be concerned about. But if it comes back or gets worse, then do call EPU. You don't want to mess around with ectopics. How far are you do you think? Pain is apparently normal in many pg's, but the EPU won't be able to confirm much on a scan until 7 weeks+.

Tranquilitybaby Sat 06-Sep-14 16:54:54

If you were suffering from an ectopic, the shoulder pain wouldn't go away as it's caused by internal bleeding irritating the diaphragm. If you're worried see your gp x

TerrysNo2 Thu 11-Sep-14 23:32:38

Hi Olive, I know this message is a few days old but I couldn't read and not respond. I actually disagree with Tranquility as the shoulder pain can come and go, and sometimes its not even there at all! I had an ectopic in July. My main symptoms were some bleeding and cramping. I did get some shoulder pain just before I had my operation (I was lucky that they realised it was ectopic before it ruptured)

I would always advise to err on the side of caution considering ectopic pregnancies can be fatal. Push your GP for a EPU referral if you're not sure, I had to push mine as he said nothing sounded wrong but I was so glad I did.

FX everything is ok though!! smile

Olive1987 Fri 12-Sep-14 19:20:51

Thanks for answering ladies. I haven't had anymore shoulder tip pain. I think that may have been a muscle ache or some one off pain that panicked me.
I've still got the period type throbbing pain that lasts a few seconds at a time though. I'm scared to go to the gp incase I jinx it. I'm not in unbearable pain and no blood. So I don't think I want to waste gp nhs time and money. I am going to see how it goes. And fingers crossed it all works out for us this time. We both want this baby so badly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now