Missed Miscarriage-surgical management tomorrow

(3 Posts)
0mia0 Thu 21-Aug-14 09:50:51

I found out on Tuesday at my 12 week scan that the baby no longer had a heart beat, I am having surgical management tomorrow. I am a little bit nervous and am wondering what I should take with me? I am thinking a book and some pads. Do I need to take PJs and slippers? I was told I should be able to leave a couple of hours after, was this the case for you if you have also experienced this?

jbee1979 Thu 21-Aug-14 20:10:05

I'm so sorry for your loss - I went through the same thing and had the ERPC on 7th March.

I was a wreck - I couldn't think what to pack. I wore jeans & a hoodie - I took PJs and wash bag with me - they recommend that in case you have to stay.

I wouldn't have had the attention span for a book - I played games on my phone as a distraction and wished I'd brought my charger!

I didn't need pads - I bought loads, brought 2 with me, they gave me one in recovery, it was completely clean, I wore it home - I didn't even need to change it.

They got me into a gown when I arrived about 7am - op was scheduled for 9.15 - but it was delayed by a bit because I absentmindedly popped a piece of chewing gum in my mouth on the way into the hospital (nil by mouth)!!! I was furious with myself - but I was scared and my mouth was dry - it was a reflex reaction...

I was out of theatre for about 11 and I was in a lot of pain and they gave me morphine - so they kept me in recovery for a bit longer to make sure I didn't have a reaction.

I had tea and toast when I went back to the ward - I had to wait more for the surgeon to debrief me, various nurses with leaflets, the pharmacist with painkillers for home. I asked about 2pm if I could go home, rang my dad and left - I told them he was outside... I just wanted air!

That night I could have done anything - I was exhilarated (morphine). The following day was BAD - I woke up crying, pain, devastation... I was a mess. Don't expect too much of yourself - you might be fine, but don't beat yourself up for feeling bad on top of everything else.

Be kind to yourself - I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. Don't hesitate to PM me or message back on this thread if you have questions or need anything thanks

Erica21 Thu 21-Aug-14 23:37:53

Hi Mia,
I had exactly the same happen to me four weeks ago, no HB at dating scan. I was booked for surgical management but had MC at home whilst waiting. Still had the ERPC which to be honest was a relief that everything would start to heal more quickly. My hospital only do 2-3 ERPC's a day, so arrived at 7.30 and was in surgery at 9, came back to room for 9.50 and was home by 12.30. I found the procedure pain-free, the anaesthetic left me feeling quite chatty afterwards, and I coped with only ibuprofen afterwards for some mild cramping. My hubbje was with me for company, will you have a partner with you? Take some comfy stretchy trousers and a warm jumper for your journey home. Take a normal toilet bag in case you need to shower, but to be honest, there was barely any bleeding afterwards, and I didn't need any large pads just some normal always type pads for the bleeding afterwards. I did have small amounts of dark brown blood for about 7-10 days, but enough for a liner, nothing more. They got me some tea and toast and made me have a wee before taking out the cannula and sending me home. Send me a message if you need to ask anything more. Hope it helps, sorry for your loss xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now