Aspirin or not? Where do you stand on the 'it can't hurt' debate?

(32 Posts)
Justonemoretime Thu 10-Jul-14 18:28:52

Many consultants recommend 'baby' aspirin as a 'can't hurt' medication for women suffering from recurrent miscarriage, but not all think it helps. Some even suggest it can do more harm than good. Here are my thoughts: justonemoretimeagain.wordpress.com/2014/07/10/it-cant-do-any-harm-the-aspirin-enigma/, what do you think?

fackinell Sun 13-Jul-14 10:21:14

Furryleopard, congratulations on your pregnancy. It all sounds very similar to my situation. It gives me a lot of hope as do the other success stories.

Justonemoretime Sun 13-Jul-14 11:23:56

Furryleopard, many congratulations on your pregnancy. I'm so glad you've found something that works for you. Let's face it, if it works, that's the main thing. Best of luck with it all!
Thanks, everyone, for commenting. smile

fackinell Sun 13-Jul-14 12:40:01

Thanks for your link, Just. Was very useful reading. smile

Justonemoretime Sun 13-Jul-14 18:42:23

You're welcome smile

Tranquilitybaby Sun 20-Jul-14 01:50:38

Reading this thread with interest. I've just bought some 75mg aspirin before we start TTC again after my ectopic pregnancy 3 months ago. My tube was removed and histology found endo and a blood clot inside it. I also have family history of heart problems, so from I've read it's a recommendation to take it to help reduce my risk.

CanISayOfHerFace Sun 20-Jul-14 02:16:01

I took low dose aspirin daily during my second and third IUI. The first IUI resulted in a miscarriage so after some research I suggested aspirin to my consultant and he said I could take it if I wished to and it wouldn't do me any harm!

My third IUI was a success and I asked if I could continue to use progesterone until I was 12 weeks pregnant (rather than just for the two weeks after the IUI itself) and again was told the same thing.

IME NHS fertility treatment (amazing as it was) followed protocols which couldn't be altered. It was one size fits all. I really had to be my own advocate to try anything different.

My DS is now five months old. I will never know if the aspirin or progesterone contributed to his safe arrival but at the time I felt like I was doing everything I could to maximise the success of my BFP. When you've only seen two in four years of TTC and one has ended in MC that's very important.

fackinell Sun 20-Jul-14 09:51:52

Interesting to read all these experiences. I made up my mind to take 75mg from BFP and say nothing to my MW. I know they say it can mess with implantation but 3x losses at 5 wks and no aspirin doesn't work either. If I lose again then at least I know I tried it. It's hard to feel positive when I get a BFP these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now