Scared im going to lose this baby...

(18 Posts)
ToriB34 Sat 05-Jul-14 11:49:00

We had an early private scan last week at 7+4, because of some sharp left sided pain. There was a gestational sac measuring 2cm by 3cm, but what we were told was the fetal pole only measured at five weeks. We have to go back for another scan on weds to see if its grown at all and im just further back than I thought or if it stopped growing 2 weeks ago.

I got a positive test only three and a bit weeks after my lmp on 10th May so im not sure about being so far out on dates. Im just so anxious that there'll be nothibg there when we get rescanned, the waiting is awful.

Mumof3xox Sat 05-Jul-14 11:52:53

I've no experience of this at all but I imagine the wait must be agonising! I am the kind of person who wouldn't be able to wait and would be off blowing money on private scand

Catlover2014 Sat 05-Jul-14 16:52:07

Hi Tori sorry to hear of the anxiety you're feeling.

I have heard of a lot of early dating scans being incorrect and then as women get closer to 12 weeks things tend to even out so there's hope here.

Do you know if they were able to see a heartbeat on the scan? Have you had any bleeding or any reduction in pregnancy symptoms? X

ToriB34 Sat 05-Jul-14 17:25:48

No heartbeat seen which they wouldnt at five weeks but should at 7+4. Symptoms are same, if anything nausea is a bit worse but thats not reassuring as there is a good sized gestational sac, which even with no embryo in it would create pregnancy symptoms. No bleeding either.

Catlover2014 Sat 05-Jul-14 22:25:00

When I had my mmcs the nausea went away so that could be a positive sign for you.

I know it's awful having to wait for that next scan. I hope you get some encouraging news when you go, I know how upset you must be right now.


ToriB34 Mon 07-Jul-14 16:28:54

Well I've spoken to my midwife today to find out what I need to do if we do get bad news in weds night. So at least we'll have a small plan in place. I feel awful for feeling so negative but I think preparing for the worst is my best way of dealing with things.

I am off course hoping we've had a growth spurt and developed a heartbeat by weds xx

worriedmum100 Mon 07-Jul-14 17:52:26

Hipe, just wanted to say I am in the same boat and know how awful it feels. I had a second early scan today at what I think is 7+5. Sac had grown since last scan 10 days ago and fetal pole seen. Measuring 6+3 but no heartbeat. Got to go back in a week. The waiting is so hard. Trying to be positive but, like you, also want to prepare for the worst.

ToriB34 Mon 07-Jul-14 20:35:11

I'm sorry to hear youre going through similar Worried.

I'll be 8+4 on Weds and I really hope we have got growth!

worriedmum100 Thu 10-Jul-14 15:59:59

How did it go OP?

ToriB34 Thu 10-Jul-14 17:57:35

No fetal growth seen and gestational sac seen. Going to hospital on Saturday to discuss medical vs surgical management. I don't want an op at all if it can be avoided. The midwive did say I can wait to miscarry naturally but given it stopped growing four weeks ago, I dont know how long that might take and im in a horrible limbo at moment.

Thank you for asking xx

ToriB34 Thu 10-Jul-14 17:57:52

gestational sac shrinking even x

stillenacht1 Thu 10-Jul-14 18:01:10

So sorry to hear your news xx

worriedmum100 Thu 10-Jul-14 19:26:10

So sorry. None of the options are pleasant to contemplate.x

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 10-Jul-14 19:34:23

I'm so sorry. A very similar thing happened to me recently. I miscarried naturally in the end. I hope you have lots of support around you.

thesmallbear Thu 10-Jul-14 19:43:35

So sorry to hear that you didn't have good news.

I had the medical management as I was frightened of having an operation, but it was so much worse than what they described. They told me it would be a bit worse than a heavy period. I have painful and heavy periods anyway so I thought 'ok I can deal with that.' It was nothing like a period, the pain was so severe and they told me to take paracetamol and ibuprofen which did nothing to elevate the pain. I also had severe diarrhoea and was violently sick and I was never told these were possible side effects. At one point my eyesight went blurry and I could barely see.

I'm not telling this to scare you, but because if I'd have known how bad it was going to be I'd have definitely had the operation. From what I can gather from people on this board the surgical management isn't too bad. It may be that I had a particularly bad reaction to the tablets but I honestly wouldn't want anyone else to go through what I did. Also, in my case it took six days for the pregnancy sac to come out, so it was a long drawn out process. At least with the surgical management it won't go on for too long.

I'm so sorry you had that experience smallbear thanks but just to offer another perspective, I had medical management (also blighted ovum, c. 8/9 weeks size sac) and although it was fairly unpleasant, I didn't suffer any extreme pain (I was given cocodamol by the hospital, and only had two doses more in anticipation of pain and hoping to get some sleep) and it was all over by morning (given the peas arises at 5pm, kicked off around 9pm). I was extremely faint the following morning (almost passed out lying down), but that's all.
However I had experienced heavy bleeding and massive clots when pregnant with DS, so I was accustomed to the physical experience in a way.
There is no way of knowing how each woman will react though.
So sorry for your loss ToriB - I hope you get some good advice and do what feels right for you; don't let the hospital pressure you one way or the other thanks

Catlover2014 Thu 10-Jul-14 20:07:56

Just wanted to say I'm so sorry tori. I was hoping and praying for good news.

I've had two mmcs, one I waited and let nature take course and with the other I had an operation. I found the operation to be much less distressing and painful but of course everyone is different.

Hugs to you. XX

ToriB34 Mon 14-Jul-14 22:29:29

I didn't update this thread. Our scan at the hospital confirmed the private scan findings but they dont acceot private scans as proof of misscarriage so I need to be rescanned for a fourth time on 21st.

If I dont miscarry naturally by then I will be opting for medical management. My local hospital does medical management as an inpatient, which I am truly adamant I don't want so I'm not sure how im going ti deal with that. I have told hubby I plan to come home anyway as Ifeel very distressed at the thought of being admitted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now