Graphic. Don't read if squeamish please. Is this a miscarriage foetus?

(9 Posts)
Hubbubs Fri 27-Jun-14 16:50:46

I've posted elsewhere because I didn't know this board existed.

I'm pretty sure I've had a miscarriage today.
If I describe it I wonder if anyone can give me their opinion on whether it sounds like one.
I've already rung the doctor but they said do another preg test on 10 days and if's neg I've lost it, if it's pos then not.
That simple :/

Anyway, began bleeding yesterday, brown then heavy bright red. I then felt a large lump slipping out when I stood up ( I swear it felt like that moment you give birth and the baby's head is out then the rest just slithers out in a nanosecond) about the size of a pound coin lump.

It's not three dimensional though, it's flat with a couple of tiny protuberances that are grey skin coloured and bulbous, and a couple of dark black spots on one end. The other end peters into a tiny tail. It's all sounding foetus- like isn't it? That could be eyes and the spine and the bulbous nodule thing the intestines or something.
Turning it over to look at the other side, there's like a mushed up lot of dark red stuff which looks like it's 'insides' if it is a foetus.

It's just the fact that it's all flat and not three dimensional that gives me minuscule hope. If I 'arrange' it into a foetus shape it looks like one. But then sometimes I pass big clots on usual periods that are flat like this, but never anything with this grey/skin coloured little lumps on it.

Either way, I assume the cervix should be shut tight if pregnant so there's no way it should be open enough to let something this size out?

I don't have any other miscarriage symptoms, I'm 45 with two previous healthy pregs and births age 38 and 40, however this was conceived whilst on contraception, so it would have been growing for at least 2 weeks whilst I was wearing Evra patch, which is a pretty strong contraception.

What do you think? My apple devices can't upload pictures to Mumsnet otherwise I'd PM a photo.

Hubbubs Fri 27-Jun-14 16:52:06

I'm also approx. calculating I am/was no more than 6 or 7 weeks preg.

HonoraryOctonaut Fri 27-Jun-14 16:56:49

I'm really sorry you are going through this. It does sound likely doesn't it. I googled 8 week miscarriage just to see what it would look like and if it was similar to how you described - DONT DO THIS. It's really upsetting and I wish I could unsee it.

Do you have an early pregnancy unit near you? Your doctors sounds really unhelpful.

Lilybensmum1 Fri 27-Jun-14 17:01:14

Hi, I have been through mc and am an early pregnancy nurse, it does sound like miscarriage as you rightly say cervix should be closed, having said that it can't be confirmed without ultrasound and your GP should arrange for you to attend the early pregnancy unit, are you bleeding at the moment? Do you have any pain? I'm sorry you are going through this it's horrible .

Greyhound Fri 27-Jun-14 17:13:05

Yes, it sounds like a miscarriage sad I'm really sorry. I echo those who suggest you get a scan.

Hubbubs Fri 27-Jun-14 17:30:50

Yes Lily still bleeding, as much as a heavy period. Just a fair bit of backache and uncomfortableness as per a usual period really. I was very weak and lightheaded earlier today but I'm ok now.

After I described the expulsion to my doctor he said it sounds highly likely it's a miscarriage and a scan didn't seem appropriate now, so I should wait ten days and do another preg test. If I get any pains meanwhile he'll reconsider a scan at the EPU.

I don't suppose I can just turn up to a hospital and ask for a scan myself without his recommendation??

skinnyamericano Fri 27-Jun-14 17:33:19

Really sorry. Can you phone the early pregnancy assessment unit? If you have one.

skinnyamericano Fri 27-Jun-14 17:35:07

Sorry, just saw your last post. Can you call them yourself without a referral? Obviously it would happen just before the weekend.

Lilybensmum1 Fri 27-Jun-14 18:31:32

You can go to A&E if you can bare it!! They will probably book you for a scan, the problem is that even in 10 days chances are the preg test will still be positive, if you can cope with waiting 10 days then do so but if positive you may need a scan anyway! With the other symptoms you describe does sound like a mc, you know how you feel so depends whether you can face A&E. Hope you are ok and have some support at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now