How long after D&C for the BFPs to dissapear?

(9 Posts)
EricaJ Mon 23-Jun-14 08:12:17

I wonder if you would mind sharing your experiences.

I had a d&c after heavy bleeding and a scan revealed a mc at 7.5 weeks.

Had my d&c on the 31st of May. Took a test on the 7th of June, got a faint BFP which I mentioned to my doctor and he said it would be a BFN before the 14th of June.

However, I have been getting really bold/dark BFPs since then, without never seeing a negative.

We've had sex in the last few weeks (very keen to get back om the TTC horse) but I know I am not pregnant because it seems my Hcg levels haven't lowered enough for me to ovulate.

So my question is: how long did it take you to get a BFN after a D&C? Could the BFPs be a result of retained products, despite the D&C?

In previous 2 mcs I ovulated around 18 days after mc and my period arrived as usual so this is very frustrating.

I am planning to call my doctor but I am going to be away from the country I live in for another 7 weeks so I guess he can't do much apart from telling me to wait and see.

I'd love to hear your experiences! Thanks!

RiverRocks Mon 23-Jun-14 15:57:42

Hi Erica

Sorry to hear you're in this position.

My tests stopped being positive 2 weeks after the operation and a week after I stopped bleeding. I've read a lot on here though, and it seems to be pretty evenly spread between people who get back to normal quite quickly and people who take weeks/months. Fingers crossed you're in the first group.

I'm sure other people will be along soon to share their experiences, but with bold BFPs over 3 weeks after to operation, I'd be seeing a doctor xx

EricaJ Mon 23-Jun-14 16:54:40

Hi River,

Thanks for sharing! I have just e-mailed my doctor, mainly because seeing one in a country where you don't live or are going to stay very long it's a bit of a hassle (I assume they may want to do blood tests if things don't change and I am not staying anywhere longer than a week at the moment).

Let's see what he says. But if I'm still getting BFPs by the week end, I'm definitely seeing a doctor. It's crap when getting or staying pregnant is really complicated but having all this difficulties with an mc despite having a D&C is just too much!

Thanks again! x

HopefulMum111 Mon 23-Jun-14 17:14:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EricaJ Mon 23-Jun-14 17:40:40

Hi HopefulMum!

Thanks for sharing your experience! I actually started testing for pregnancy when I got some suspiciously bold OPKs around 11 days after my D&C (I would normally get faint ones at that point, if you count the D&C as first day of AF, and get a positive OPK on day 15 or so).

Even if a part of me wants to hope and hope, I realise that I would have had to have a BFN and then ovulate in order to be able to get pregnant this month. Thing is, my husband and I both travel a lot, so ovulating a week later/earlier could make the difference between having a chance or not in both June and July. I also had endometriosis removed in April (and got preg straight away, then miscarried) so I am extra concerned about conceiving before it comes back. It adds to the obsession of wanting to find out what's going on!

Nothing I can do about it though. Not that I haven't tried. I even googled 'how to make hcg hormone leave your body quicker'. Nothing came up smile

Thanks again!

HopefulMum111 Tue 24-Jun-14 08:45:58

EricaJ Tue 24-Jun-14 10:20:26

Thanks HopefuMum - I am crossing my fingers so at least we have a chance to TTC in the next few cycles.

Bit of a silly question: I've started to spot again this morning, feel a bit crampy. Since I got a BFP yesterday, surely this must be more mc aftermath and not my period ? Trying to figure out when I'll ovulate next and having my period now would really screw my TTC plans up!

HopefulMum111 Tue 24-Jun-14 17:04:15

EricaJ Thu 26-Jun-14 09:33:46

Hi Hopeful,

I have been spotting since the operation, bar a few days last week so yes, a period already seems unlike. Good news is that I took a test this morning and the BFP was really, really faint (the sort that would really send you crazy in a 'normal' situation) so hopefully the last of the pregnancy is coming out and my body is finally moving on! Ovulation any time after the 12th of July would mean that we have a chance at TTC so I am crossing my fingers.

I am still seeing my GP tomorrow morning to discuss the whole saga with her. I will try and remember all my questions and share my advice here!

How are you? When are you testing? Crossing my fingers for a BFP for you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now