I just passed the sack.

(10 Posts)
thesmallbear Mon 16-Jun-14 14:33:56

can anyone help please. I just passed the sac (at home) after medical management of the miscarriage (tablets given on Wednesday). Trying to ring the hospital to find out what to do with it, but it just rings out for ages and then cuts me off!

Discussed this with my partner and we'd like to have it analysed, but then given back so we can can bury it. Can I just keep it in box wrapped in some tissue until I can get to the hospital, or should I put it in the fridge or something?

Sorry if this is disgusting but really unsure what to do!

sleepyhead Mon 16-Jun-14 14:36:42

Oh honey I'm sorry sad.

In a plastic box in the fridge I think. No tissue.

thesmallbear Mon 16-Jun-14 14:37:56

Thank you. Says you can ring the ward 24/7, but it's no good ringing if they never answer the god damn phone!

Mouldypineapple Mon 16-Jun-14 14:41:57

I agree. Plastic box in fridge, no tissue sounds like a good plan.

Sorry for your loss. When I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks a few years ago, we were able to bury the (very tiny) baby in a family grave. It's close to where we live and every time we go past it I say hello in my head. It has helped me with the grieving process definitely.

rightsaidthread Mon 16-Jun-14 14:46:43

oh smallbear so sorry for your loss

This happened to me and I did as other suggested and used a plastic tub in the fridge. We then buried under a lovely bush in our garden
Xx

IdaClair Mon 16-Jun-14 14:47:02

Tupperware in the fridge is not a bad option. My 18 week baby was put in the fridge at the hospital for a while in case we wanted to look at him again, but I wasn't fussed and I suppose he must have gone with medical waste after autopsy. It was better than where my first baby ended up being flushed down the loo I suppose.

I am sorry for your loss, and hope you get some good answers soon. Look after yourself.

thesmallbear Mon 16-Jun-14 15:29:37

Thank you all so much. This has been such a long drawn out process. I was bleeding for 5 weeks before they could tell me 100% that the pregnancy was not going to continue and administer the medical management. Taken almost a week from the medical management for the sac to come out.

This has gone on for so long and I've been in so much pain over the last week, that I just feel more relieved than anything at the moment.

SundayLieIn Mon 16-Jun-14 15:39:28

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I've always gone the tupawear in freezer route, that way it is still cold when it gets back to the hospital.

Just a bit of a heads up- at my hospital genetic analysis means you are not able to get the remains back again afterwards for burial, unfortunately if you hand over for testing they dispose of afterwards. I'm not sure if this is the same everywhere or it varies.

personally I have found testing very useful. The causes and prevention of miscarriages are really different for genetically normal or genetically abnormal embryos and it is hard to know which investigations/treatments will be useful without knowing the genetics.

It sounds like this has been a horrific experience for you, I hope you are now able to rest and recuperate. xx

thesmallbear Mon 16-Jun-14 15:59:03

Thanks SundayLieIn. I'm pretty sure that when the doc went through everything with us (before I was given the tablets) she said that if I passed the sac in hospital, we could send it off for analysis and then have it back to bury. Can't see why it would be any different just because passed at home? Anyway, I will double check as I was given a hell of a lot of info on that day. Seems a bit unfair that things differ so differently between hospitals and some women don't seem to have as many options.

I think she did say it could take a few months to get it back sad

She also there was an option to incinerate after the testing, but I lost it when she said that. I couldn't cope with the thought of it at all!

SundayLieIn Mon 16-Jun-14 16:01:50

Hopefully your hospital is more flexible than mine, just wanted to warn you in case.

I've had 4 analysed now (at two diff hospitals) and I'd say it takes about 8 weeks round here for results, so hopefully she was warning you about the worse case scenario and it won't take that long in practice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now