MMC and don't want surgery

(12 Posts)
CharEW Wed 11-Jun-14 20:18:12

Hi
I'm new to this and desperately need some advice. I went for my 12 week scan yesterday and found that the baby had died at 9 weeks. I'd had no symptoms so it came as a complete shock. I went to see a consultant today at Royal Berks who said that medical management wasn't available there and he didn't think I would pass the pregnancy sac that remains naturally, leaving my only option as surgery. He said he was unable able to tell me if any hospitals in the area were able to provide me with the tablet route but if I could find one then I could cancel my surgery. I really don't want surgery but don't know what to do now. I was expecting the consultant to be a bit more helpful. Surgery is booked in for Friday so I am now worried that it's going to be the only option.
I feel so sad that our baby didn't make it but also now feel stressed because of the lack of options offered to me.
Thanks in advance for any advice xx

CharEW I'm so sorry you are going through this. I had medical management at Wexham Park in Slough in February. Could you see your GP and ask if he/she can refer you to the Early Pregnancy Unit there, if they can give you the medical management route instead?

Florencewinifred Wed 11-Jun-14 20:35:52

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear your sad news. It must have been such a shock. I went through this myself 3 weeks ago. I went for a scan at 11 weeks and the baby hadn't made it past 9 weeks. I had no symptoms that anything was wrong and no bleeding.

I also didn't want surgery. My consultant was happy to let me try the natural route first to see if my body would begin to miscarry on it's own. I waited 2 more weeks and had a tiny bit of spotting but nothing more. By this time, I was getting concerned about the size of the sac etc and passing it all. The sac and contents etc measured approx 7 cm. In the end, I asked if I could have a MVA (manual vacuum aspiration). This is quite the standard procedure in the States but hadn't been as widely used over here. I posted about this further down the thread if you want to read about the experience. It was sort of 'semi surgery'. No general, just local and it was done in 10 mins and I went home straight afterwards. I would definitely recommend this option to anyone in the sad situation of having to make a decision. My pregnancy was approx the same size as yours and it was a tolerable procedure.

Almost 2 weeks on and the bleeding has stopped and physically I have been fine.

Again, so sorry for your dreadful loss. We all understand the pain here.

Please ask if you would like any further info..

CharEW Wed 11-Jun-14 21:32:21

Thank you both for your replies and sorry for your losses.
I'm going to try and get a drs appointment first thing and see if they can refer me somewhere else. It's nice to know Slough does medical management.
I hadn't heard of MVA before but sounds better than being under a general anaesthetic. I don't like the thought of going to sleep and waking up to everything being gone, not sure I'd be able to grasp that it's actually happened! Is MVA offered in most hospitals do you know?
Thanks again

miracle0812 Thu 12-Jun-14 01:54:50

So sorry for your loss!
I am in same boat went for scan no heartbeat baby died at 7+3.. I've opted for natural and within a few days it started it's been 8 days now and I had no idea it would have been so hard!
I didn't want surgery either but after all that's happened I'm asking myself why I have put myself through this long painful natural process so maybe as you're further along surgery would be best.

If you really don't want it can you see a different consultant or go to a different hospital?
I really feel for you it's so heartbreaking xxx

RiverRocks Thu 12-Jun-14 09:39:02

Char I'm so sorry you're going through this.

It's awful that your consultant isn't giving you the choice of how to manage this - are there other units you could speak to? A walk-in centre?

I had the ERPC under general anaesthetic, and it was fine. Feel free to PM me if you want to know any more information, but if you don't want surgery then your consultant should not be pushing you to have it.

Thinking of you xx

CharEW Thu 12-Jun-14 16:27:36

Hi

I've spoken to a few different drs now and we've agreed that I'll see if it passes naturally in the next week or so, but still none of them offered me the tablets sad
So now I'm just waiting and hoping that nature takes it course. Going to try and relax a bit hopefully that will help.
Thanks so much for all the advice on support. It's awful that we have all been in such sad situations. xx

JokersGiggle Sun 15-Jun-14 18:48:51

If you need you can self ref to another hosp, explain the situation and they should help you.

Catlover2014 Sun 15-Jun-14 20:57:17

So sorry for your loss and all you're going through. It's such a hard time sad

I know everyone is different and I am sure you could push for tablets if you want to. I can't offer that much advice on that as never went that route but I have had two mmc.

One I waited until it happened naturally (took 2 weeks) and the second I had surgery. From my experience the surgery was much less painful and much less distressing.

Whatever route you go I wish you a speedy recovery and healthy pregnancies for the future.

Hugs xxxx

Messygirl Sun 15-Jun-14 21:19:17

I am so sorry that you have lost your baby thanks

I do understand how you feel as I have been in the same position. I wanted to see if my body would have a natural mc but after two weeks nothing had happened. Medical management wasn't offered at my hospital either which I was very upset about.

In the end I had an ERPC under GA (sometimes now called surgical management of mc). I was reassured by reading that the MIST study of iirc over 1,000 women who had suffered mc actually showed that conception rates over the next few years were very similar for all the treatment methods. Something else which I read in the MIST study was that only 25% of mmc will become a complete natural mc. Around 75% of those in the study with mmc needed surgery.

I actually would have another ERPC under GA by choice if I had another mmc now - the op was much easier physically than I expected. I felt better afterwards emotionally too - like I could start to properly grieve after the physical dimension was dealt with.

Thinking of you xx

HaPPy8 Tue 17-Jun-14 17:33:15

Hello, ive come to this a bit late so may be too late for you but a few years ago I was in your situation - a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks with a baby measuring around 9 weeks. I opted to have expectant management and it was 3 weeks before I miscarried but it did all happen naturally in the end and I have no regrets in waiting for nature to take its course, although it was very tough waiting at the time. If I can answer any questions for you please let just ask xx

HaPPy8 Tue 17-Jun-14 17:37:33

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/miscarriage/827119-how-soon-after-bleeding-starts-is-MC-likely-to-happen/AllOnOnePage

This is link to a thread i started around the time I started to miscarry which might give you some info on what to expect xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now