Likely to miscarry - what to expect?

(9 Posts)
ilovechops Fri 06-Jun-14 09:12:10

Hello,

Yesterday I went for an early scan for dating purposes and was told that the gestational sac (although there) was abnormal in shape and it was likely the pregnancy would fail. They didn't really tell me much else as I think they couldn't see much. There was a yolk sac but no heartbeat etc. I was told to come back in a week to have another look but in the meantime prepare myself for bad news.

In the last 5 days most of my (albeit minor) pregnancy symptoms have decreased. I am left only with mild period like cramps (not so much a stretching feeling, just mild pain). I have a DD so have experienced early pregnancy before and know I felt much more hormonal / more symptoms although appreciate it's different every time. Oddly right now I feel quite calm and just like I know in my body it has failed. Although I feel sad for the disappointment because it is so early I hope to move on relatively quickly.

BUT now I am really worried about what to expect? The doctor didn't tell me anything other than I might bleed and don't come back until next week unless it's severely painful. So what should I prepare for? In my mind I am 95% sure it's failed and am ready to miscarry but what will happen? Ideally I am hoping it will happen naturally but there's been no bleeding at all yet so I am worried it may mean I need an operation perhaps. Can anyone point me in the direction of some advice and information on this? Or has anyone been through a similar situation? I don't know what physical symptoms I should be preparing for.

Thanks

breakfastnotattiffanys Fri 06-Jun-14 09:59:35

I am sorrry for your loss. Everyone reacts differently but I had similar to you x 3 and at 7 weeks I just had what essentially was a heavy painful period. My other 2 at 8.5 and 10.5 weeks (missed miscarriages) I had slight bleeding and was then advised to have a D & C to remove the "products of conception". This procedure was quick and not too distressing in my case and I went home after a few hours and had cramps and bleeding but not too bad. It used to be before 8 weeks they let nature take its course and after that they intervened-this may have changed - Once again sorry for your loss.

bakingtins Fri 06-Jun-14 12:09:08

Hi OP sorry you are facing the loss of your pregnancy.

Have a look at the "tips for coping" thread on this board and at the Miscarriage Association website. You don't say how far along you were, a very early loss is like a heavy period, a later one can involve heavy bleeding, losing clots and passing a recognisable sac/foetus. If what is seen on the scan corresponds to a 4-5 week pregnancy you are more likely to be on the milder end of the spectrum. If you start to bleed you need to use pads rather than tampons and take some painkillers (paracetamol or ibuprofen) to help with cramping. If you bleed heavily enough to fill a maxi pad in 30 mins or you feel faint or unwell then get yourself checked. NICE guidelines are to use expectant management ( wait for natural MC) for 7-14 days and then if nothing has happened offer medical or surgical anagement. If you do MC naturally you should either take a HPT once a week until it's negative and contact EPU if still positive after a fortnight, or be offered a scan to ensure your womb is empty.

longestlurkerever Fri 06-Jun-14 15:03:50

Hello OP. I am so sorry. I echo what others say about everyone being different. I miscarried in January and googled "what to expect" and really scared myself reading some people's stories but actually my experience was physically not that distressing. Like a heavy period for a week, with a few clots in it, and at one point I felt like I passed the sac. It was like something "plopped out" (sorry, tmi) but I didn't see it. After a week it was totally over though I needed a scan to confirm this. I was only 6 weeks pregnant although it was a mmc so I thought I was further along. But it was upsetting, of course, and you'll need to look after yourself. Though actually for me it was a relief when the bleeding started and from what you have posted I suspect you might feel the same - I just wanted it to be over so I could move on. If you want to confide in friends then do - I did and had some really good support. It turned out a couple of them had been through the same. Equally if you want to keep it private it is totally your business.

longestlurkerever Fri 06-Jun-14 15:07:07

PS I went for a scan as I had some light spotting at 11 weeks. This confirmed the foetus had stopped growing at 6 weeks but I had no bleeding in between. So you may not have anything at all until you go for your scan next week, in which case they will tell you your options for speeding things up if you want.

miracle0812 Sat 07-Jun-14 09:09:15

Hi I'm sorry you are going through this! I am going through the exact same thing right now! Had a scan no heartbeat went for a second a week later no heartbeat and no growth.
I was then made an appointment 2 days later at the early pregnancy unit within the same hospital where they gave me all the info.
I'm sure you will be referred too.
After I left the EPU started to get a few pains in lower back and the day after that I started bleeding I'm now on day 4 of bleeding it's been like a heavy period with clots so far it's not as painful as I thought but I still have a way to go!

Hope this helps any questions feel free to ask xxx

marshmallowpies Sat 07-Jun-14 19:51:23

Longestlurker your description is exactly what happened to me, I was 9 wks but the fetus only measured 5-6 wks. Painkillers & a hot water bottle on my tummy really helped...hope that the experience is not too painful for you, OP.

ilovechops Wed 11-Jun-14 11:32:48

Thanks for the tips all. I went back for a scan this week and it does look as if it's non viable. They have advised me to have a ERPC under general an and booked me in next week. I am now really quite scared of the operation but the Dr advised me against having a natural miscarriage as I haven't had any bleeding yet and for whatever reason she seemed to believe it could be long and painful, well I guess it's unknown. I just want it all to be over with. Mentally I feel fine about the miscarriage (as I know the baby hadn't developed) but not about the operation / physical side of things.

RiverRocks Thu 12-Jun-14 09:43:40

I love the ERPC is quick, takes about 10 mins. I was under GA for about an hour, then back to my room for NHS toast. I was worried about having surgery, as I've never had anything before, but it wasn't anywhere near as scary as I thought.

PM me if you have any questions xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now