help, scan at epu tomorrow?

(9 Posts)
DDMB Sun 01-Jun-14 13:41:34

Hi,

I'm having a scan in the morning at the epu, I just wondered what to expect? I was ment to be 7 + 3 on Friday but I'm 99.9% sure I've miscarried.... Think completely as bleeding has died down completely.
Will they just do normal ultrasound? How long will it take roughly, i'm fully prepared for nothing to be there etc but have a dd and not sure what to do with her as don't know how long we'll be at the Hosp?

Thanks in advance, no one tells you about this stuff.

grocklebox Sun 01-Jun-14 14:37:14

Dildocam, I'm afraid. At that stage it will have to be an internal scan. It doesn't take long, maybe 5 mins. Waiting times depend on your own hospital though.
Sorry for your loss.

DDMB Sun 01-Jun-14 14:45:40

Ah crap, think the whole thing is grim enough without that. Thanks tho. Just want it to be done and dusted now.

eurochick Sun 01-Jun-14 14:49:03

The dildocam is really fine. I must have had about 30 in the course of fertility treatment and epu visits. They are actually a lot more comfortable than having the external kind with the sonographer pressing on your full bladder!

I hope you are ok.

grocklebox Sun 01-Jun-14 14:51:31

yeah I've had tons, its ok really. Better than them arsing around for ages with the external one not finding anything to look at. And you don't need a full bladder, which is a bonus.

DDMB Sun 01-Jun-14 14:54:05

Thanks guys, at least I know what'll happen now. I dont really mind, just didnt know. Just hope everything has gone so don't need a d&c or whatever.

grocklebox Sun 01-Jun-14 14:57:28

it probably has. On the off chance that they do say you need an erpc, thats not as bad as it sounds either. I've had a couple and they are quick and painless really, its just half a day at the hospital usually.
It's the not knowing that is the worst bit, isn't it? Easier to walk in there when you know what to expect.
You will feel better when its all over. Time does heal, cliche though it is.

DDMB Sun 01-Jun-14 15:10:24

Thanks so much, it totally is the not knowing, as no one knew I was preg apart from my dh and ds but my ds has her 12 week scan tomorrow (timing) so can't really talk about to anyone. I have come to terms with the situation as it didn't feel 'right' from the off but just wish could fastforward. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

impatienceisavirtue Sun 01-Jun-14 15:23:09

They will probably try an abdominal scan first but almost definitely will follow it up with a dildo cam.

I had to have quite a few as it took several weeks after discovering at 7 weeks that baby had gone for them to definitively diagnose. None of the scans were ever painful, they were over in minutes and the sonographer was lovely and very sympathetic.

At this stage, if necessary, there are several options, you won't necessarily need a d&c. I opted for the Mva as it is less invasive and there is quicker recovery than from a d&c. I'm not going to lie, it was painful, but over very quickly and I was fine physically after. Just had my first proper period three weeks later and it looks like I'm ovulating again already, I think this happens quicker than with a d&c. There is also a pill they can give you.

I am so sorry for your loss thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now