Don't know what to do or expect (maybe TMI)

(12 Posts)
butterflyroom Mon 26-May-14 11:39:54

I had a bfp on 23 April and should now be 9/10 weeks according to the date of the last day of period. Last Wednesday I had an unexpected scan ( was told I needed it to make sure I had a viable pregnancy before having an injection to avoid DVT when flying on Sunday ).

I was shocked when scanned that it showed an embryo and sac that measured 5-6 weeks with no heartbeat. This was clearly a contrast to my expected dates. Due to my BMI and having a tilted uterus, they needed to proceed with an internal scan too. I was pretty traumatised afterwards and very worried about what had been shown on the scan. It didn't help that I was on my own as nobody had pre-warned me that I'd need a scan.

A few hours later I began to feel very uncomfortable and the following day began to bleed, not enough to mark a pad but brown and red when wiping. I contacted the midwife who couldn't refer me for a scan for four days due to the bank holiday so I went to a and e. Eventually they sent me to the pregnancy unit who suggested the bleeding may have been because of the internal but couldn't rule out that it was the beginning of a miscarriage. Again, I had a painful internal there so swabs could be taken and it was confirmed that my cervix was closed. They cancelled my scan for this Tuesday and told me not to go on holiday.

Following this visit I've been in more pain and have been having to take paracetamol and codeine every few hours. I'm still not bleeding onto a pad but when I wipe there's plenty of red blood and clots.

This all started on Wednesday and here I am on Monday not knowing what's happening or what to do. I feel too unwell to go out and about. I'm booked in for a follow up scan to the original scan next Monday. Should I contact anyone or just ride it out and wait a week for the follow up scan? I'm trying to retain a small sense of positivity but my gut feeling is that this is going to be a drawn out miscarriage.

Thank you for reading if you got this far. Any advice would be appreciated. My confidence in my care from the midwives/ hospital is at an all time low. Thanks.

Purplefrogshoes Mon 26-May-14 12:17:21

I'm so sorry butterfly the care you have had is appalling! The wait between scans is truly awful.
Have they told you what to expect if you do miscarry? You say you feel unwell, is it cramps or do you have other symptoms such as a temperature? If so I think you should contact dr

There is a really good thread on here that will let you know what to expect if you do sadly mc

flowers

Catlover2014 Mon 26-May-14 12:35:55

Hello Butterfly,

Sorry to hear what you are going through. It seems like you've had very poor care and no support or information from the hospital.

My advice would be to let DH run around and take care of you and try to rest up for today. If you feel no better tomorrow I would take yourself to the early pregnancy assessment unit 1st thing and insist that you have a scan. Despite what they will say they can and do see people last minute. I know because when I mc I insisted on having a scan in that way!

Thinking of you and hope you get a good outcome.

Hugs xxx

butterflyroom Mon 26-May-14 12:52:31

Thanks so much for the replies. I am now slowly bleeding onto a pad. Not much but more than yesterday when nothing was on the pad. The pain I have is like bad period pain.

I'm pretty sure that staffing and help will be low or non existent today being bank holiday but if it gets worse I think I'll have to go back to hospital. If not I'll call the midwife in the morning.

My feelings are all over the place - would love a positive outcome but also realistically just want it to be over. Feel guilty even thinking that.

Armadale Mon 26-May-14 12:52:50

Hi Butterfly, I agree with other posters that it doesn't sound like you are getting the best care. My local EPU has self-referral so if you are bleeding and worried you can just turn up. Is there somewhere like that near you, and if so can you get DH to take you, maybe on Wednesday? (at my EPU they like a week between scans to judge how things are growing)...waiting till next Monday just seems like a long time to me.

My coping strategy in the same situation is to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst just in case. I would read the thread on the miscarriage board about what to expect having a miscarriage so you are prepared if the worst happens.

Purplefrogshoes Mon 26-May-14 13:25:41

I agree I think Monday is too long to wait, I have bumped up the thread for you to read so you are prepared, hoping for the best for you flowers

butterflyroom Mon 26-May-14 13:53:00

Thank you x

butterflyroom Wed 28-May-14 14:53:00

I had a earlier scan today. They can see a sac but no baby. Looks like a miscarriage but the sac hadn't passed. To be sure, I have another scan booked for a weeks time. They want to double check as in their words, it was a difficult scan because I have a very tilted uterus. They are 99% sure it's a miscarriage though. Never thought such an awful process would be so lengthly. I'm exhausted.

Armadale Wed 28-May-14 19:35:01

Oh Butterfly, I'm so sorry. Another week is a horrid thing to have to go through. I'm sure you are exhausted, life can be very cruel sometimes flowers.

Are you still bleeding/in pain? What have they said to you about that?

butterflyroom Wed 28-May-14 20:41:33

Still bleeding a bit. Not much pain. However, the midwife called me this afternoon to tell me that my hormone levels have halved. Must be a definite miscarriage. Feel worn out and very sad. I appreciate the kindness and concern on this thread. Thank you x

Armadale Wed 28-May-14 21:35:57

I'm so sorry to hear that.

Purplefrogshoes Wed 28-May-14 22:36:25

I'm so sorry butterfly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now