Question on Medical Management

(13 Posts)
Moffit Wed 07-May-14 11:42:04

For those ladies who have had medical management, I wondered how long it took between having the tablets and the bleeding starting? I know that everyone is different, but the nurse made it sound as though it usually happens quite soon. I had mine yesterday morning, (now 26 hours ago) I had some cramps last night and thought it was imminent, but slept fine and woke up to nothing this morning? Now I'm worried this means they won't work and I'll have to go back in for surgical management. They also said I only need to contact them if nothing happens in 72 hours.

Sorry for those of you that have been through this, I'm just after some other peoples experiences. TIA xx

Tryingno1 Wed 07-May-14 12:33:22

Hi. Last time I had medical nothing happened. I then had a higher dose done as an inpatient and then things started going......
This time things started a few hours after taking tablets....but I think I may have retained products so will need d and c.
Hope you avoid surgery-i didn't find it was as distressing as I thought it was though....
Hope your doing ok

Wantohope Wed 07-May-14 12:48:24

With me it happened within 5-6 hours.
As far as I know if it doesn't work for you the first time, they will offer a higher dose first.
Good luck, I hope it won't be long now!

Wineandchoccy Wed 07-May-14 12:52:15

I also had medical management yesterday at 2.30pm and apart from awful pain for a couple of hours yesterday evening I have had no more pain and I was bleeding naturally before and now the bleeding has almost stopped.

The hospital said they would ring at 2.30pm today to discuss what had happened but I guess I am going to have to go back for a 2nd dose sad

I really don't want to have surgical management but it looks likely that I am heading for that.

I hope you are ok and something starts happening soon, it's awful being in limbo and just wanting it over with.

Moffit Wed 07-May-14 13:15:27

Thanks for the replies so far ladies, it really helps to share these experiences on here! I'm sorry that you have all been through this/are going through this too!!

Sorry for you too wineandchoccy, I feel like I've been in limbo for the last two weeks and was hoping yesterday would be the start of moving on, but instead I feel more confused than ever! Ive excepted it's over but my body certainly hasn't!

Katie6391 Wed 07-May-14 15:02:35

Hi. I had medical management last August. Nothing happened with first dose but second dose worked after about 6 hours and I think this is common. I know it is awful waiting but it will be over soon. Make sure you get lots of rest and look after yourself. Xxx

Wineandchoccy Wed 07-May-14 16:10:50

Hi Moffit how are you doing? Are you able to have a 2nd dose of the treatment?

I've been back to the epu and taken the 2nd dose and feel a bit rubbish but hope that means something is happening.

Take care x

Moffit Wed 07-May-14 16:43:37

They told me I would have to go back Friday if nothing happens but think I will call in the morning, 48 hours seems more than enough time to wait. Hope the second dose works for you wineandchoccy, do you know how much you were given for your first and second doses?

Wineandchoccy Wed 07-May-14 17:11:09

I had 4 tablets yesterday and 2 today, not sure how many milligrams that is though.

I have to go for a scan on the 20th to check everything is ok.

It's the waiting that is horrible I wish I had gone for the Erpc just to have an end result.

Hope you are being looked after x

Moffit Wed 07-May-14 17:25:03

Thanks wineandchoccy! My DH is being fantastic, he has been my rock through all of this! Hope you are being looked after too.

I also had 4 tablets yesterday (I'm sure they were 200mg each, totalling 800mg). It's a shame things vary so much at different hospitals. I have a follow up appointment on the 20th too but they told me that would be for a pregnancy test and blood test, depending on the results will depend if they re-scan?!

JBrd Wed 07-May-14 23:08:20

Moffit So sorry that you have to go through this. Did they offer you the options to get the MM as an day patient at all? I.e. you go in, they give you the tablets, but you stay there until you have passed the pregnancy?
At my hospital, you get a tablet to 'prepare' your cervix and uterus, then 2 days later, you go in for the day to be induced, staying in hospital until it's over. I'm quite amazed that they induce you and then let you go home... I'd ask the hospital, you really don't want to hang in this limbo, on top of everything else!

Hope that it'll go as smoothly as possible for you, it is such a horrible experience and should be made any harder than it already is xx

aloysiusflyte Wed 07-May-14 23:20:20

I had medical management nearly a year ago now, I had four tablets inserted and everything kicked off about 2-3 hours later, had very bad cramps and began bleeding grainy blood and then the clots soon afterwards (sorry for tmi) The worst was over in about 2 hours.

It was also the policy at my hospital to send you home to go through it, which in some ways it was good to be in home surroundings but I was not expecting it to be as painful as it was so I would be prepared with the strongest painkillers possible.

So sorry for your loss, it really is a horrible thing to have to go through thanks

Moffit Thu 08-May-14 13:18:44

Thanks for sharing all of your experiences!!

I called the hospital this morning and spoke to the doctor, if nothing changes by tomorrow I'm having an ERPC, got to go in at 9am. I'm pleased they made a plan, but I'm very nervous!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now