Uterine abnormality cervical incompetence mid trimester loss- Advice desperately sought!

(7 Posts)
findizzle Tue 22-Apr-14 12:34:39

Hello ladies
I lost my beautiful son Freddie at 22 weeks gestation in January; woke up with terrible crampy pains but no bleeding and foolishly initially assumed it was gastroenteritis as I was vomiting. My waters then broke and I delivered him myself over 20minutes with the 999 operator telling me what to do. The paramedics got in and cut the cord and rushed us to the nearest hospital but sadly he was too premature and passed away in my arms an hour after birth. I miss my little boy more that words can say.

I’d been previously warned by two different GP’s during cervical smear tests that they thought they could see two cervical oses and that I may have a bicornuate uterus and hence risked mid-trimester loss. I saw an obstetrician privately the first time it was mentioned who reassured me that all looked normal and that investigations were not required. We were fortunate to conceive swiftly after stopping OCP and I mentioned my concerns repeatedly throughout during our antenatal visits however again were reassured by staff caring for us. At 17 weeks my abdomen was noticeably sloped and Freddie was completely to the right of the midline however again when I mentioned it to the obstetrics SHO and eventually consultant they told me not to worry as the 12 week scan didn’t show any obvious uterine anomalie. Neither of them would examine me however which I regret not pursuing to this day.

I have since undergone all the usual blood tests (antiphospholipid, lupus, toxo etc) which were normal, a hysterosalpingogram, the report of which wasn’t very helpful and simply said the uterine cavity was abnormal but didn’t elaborate and most recently an MRI and hysteroscopy. I am anxiously awaiting the results of the MRI. I was told after the hysteroscopy that the cervix was incompetent. The gynaecologist who I am seeing is very kind and has taken note of everything however has not dealt with this situation before and prior to me undergoing all these investigations half-heartedly suggested we try for another pregnancy to see if the uterus could stretch however I could not countenance going through that harrowing experience again without at least trying to prevent it.

My husband and I both think I have a bifid/didephyus uterus based on how the pregnancy was in association with an incompetent cervix. I am absolutely petrified of having either another 2nd trimester loss or worse again losing a baby in 3rd trimester from placental insufficiency, which is also associated with uterine abnormalities. (Also my PAP A protein was very low) Has anyone out there got any recommendations of obstetricians with an interest in this area? I’ve been researching Dr Farquharson in Liverpool and Prof Regan in London. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bakingtins Tue 22-Apr-14 16:48:25

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of Freddie, findizzle it must have been a terrible ordeal to go through.
I hope the MRI will bring clarity for you. Raj Rai and Prof Regan at St Mary's are the foremost experts in the country when it comes to miscarriage, and they accept tertiary referrals (from an obs/gynae consultant) out of area on the NHS, and also private patients. I think I'd be heading that direction if the local consultants can't help. flowers

findizzle Tue 22-Apr-14 22:18:14

Dear Bakingtins
Thank you very much for your kind words and advice. We are seeing our consultant to discuss the results soon and will talk to her about it then.
thanks

RhondaJean Tue 22-Apr-14 22:28:12

Hi find.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I have a bicornate uterus, bordering on didelphys, ŵith two cervices, and two completely distinct chambers in my womb.

I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations for doctors but I just wanted to let you know that despite having been given the same warnings as you, I have two daughters,one born at 37 and one at 32 weeks. Like you, both pregnancies were distinctly on one side, which was disconcerting.

The difference I think was that I had been diagnosed at smears, then with an ultrasound and gynaelogical incestigation befor ei was ever pregnant, I knew there was something odd going on as I had never been able to use tampons due to a septate vagina as well. Because of that I was immediately classed as a high risk pregnancy and monitored highly throughout both pregnancies. If you do have a mullerian anomaly then getting it diagnosed really helps as once you have that on your notes, in my experience, they take very good care of you. In particular the risk of third trimester loss in minimalists due to extra checks, scans etc.

They really should have pursued this earlier on as apart from anything else they should be checking material from both cervices when you get your smear.

I hope that's in some way useful, I just wanted you to know things do not always go badly and I really hope that's true for you with your next child. If I can be of any support please, pm me, any time.

plentyofshoes Sat 26-Apr-14 16:28:23

I am so sorry about Freddie. I have a rubbish cervix and a suspected abnormality of the womb.
I gave birth at 33 weeks. I then went into labour at 26 weeks. However there are treatments available and I was given a trial drug which helped my cervix stay shut until 33 weeks again.
There is a thread called the short cervix which may help?

zoemaguire Sun 27-Apr-14 14:06:42

Very sorry for your loss. I can wholeheartedly recommend getting a referral to dr farquharson. I had an abdominal suture done by him a few years ago after a very prem birth due to ic. Quite apart from the expertise he has, his whole team are incredibly compassionate, supportive and their care pathway is incredibly well-organised. My dd was born two months ago at 38w and over 8lbs!

findizzle Tue 29-Apr-14 16:57:02

Dear Rhonda, Zoe and Plenty of Shoes, thank you all so much for your help and giving us some hope, my husband and I are very grateful. The MRI showed a bicornuate uterus , and we've asked our gynaecologist for a referral to either Dr Rai or Dr Farquharson for advice on future pregnancies and monitoring- we'll go/do wherever it takes to try and prevent what happened first time.
Fxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now