So when they say "lie down"...

(5 Posts)
ecuse Mon 31-Mar-14 15:18:19

How literally do they mean? A&E tell me my cramps and bleeding are threatened MC. Am booked in for a viability scan on Thurs and told to lie down until then.

I've come home and realised I didn't ask how literally to take this. Can I nip out to the shops and to pick DD up from nursery? Put on a load of laundry? Sit in bed and work on laptop? Or just literally lie down till Thursday?

And is this really going to avert a miscarriage?

TinyTear Mon 31-Mar-14 15:24:53

Honestly I don't think 'liying down' helps prevent a miscarriage unless it's a late one becasue of cervical weakness when a stitch and bedrest do help...

Cramps and bleeding can be a mc, can be mcing a twin but one baby is fine, can be some fibroids, can be just unexplained cramps and bleeding...

I think you won't know until the scan. How many weeks are you? Can't they see you sooner?

Wishing you the best outcome...

ecuse Mon 31-Mar-14 15:38:35

7 weeks. I was shocked at 3 days for EPU appointment as well. I might call them direct to see if there's anything sooner.

TinyTear Tue 01-Apr-14 08:33:31

that is silly, I thought you were about to say 5 weeks as you can't really see anything in a scan before 6 weeks.

At 7 weeks you should be able to see if things are progressing ok. I have one DD but 5 mcs, so unfortunately know what good scans and bad scans look like... and 7w should have a visible heartbeat, so they should have seen you earlier...

Good luck!

ecuse Tue 01-Apr-14 09:56:51

And indeed by their records I'm 8 weeks (LMP). I have 35 day cycle so am probably a week behind but they don't take your word for it and just put LMP dates on notes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now