Scared.

(10 Posts)
ponyponypony Tue 18-Mar-14 21:07:53

I'm sad to be joining you on here. I had my 12wk scan yesterday and found out baby had died at 9wks. Overnight before the scan I had some cramping and a tiny amount of pink spotting. I was told to go home, read the information they had given me and call the pregnancy advice unit. I made my mind up straight away I wanted surgery to get things over with as soon as possible. I am not a brave person.

By the time we'd got home from the scan the cramps were really bad. As I was taking my jacket off I felt a pop and was soaked through my jeans with bloody fluid. Our lounge, stairs and bathroom looked like a murder had taken place.

It has all been a bit of a blur. I managed to speak to the pregnancy advice centre who were very kind. They advised they had no space for surgery for another week. They advised I would probably miscarry at home in the following 4-6 hours.

Yesterday was horrendous. I have never been so scared. At times I was cold/hot/weak/nauseous all at the same time. The blood loss was so bad I just had to sit on the toilet as no pad could cope. My husband wanted to call an ambulance but I wouldn't let him as I was so scared of having to go into hospital and not have him with me. Stupid I know.

I passed lots of big lumps of tissue/clots into the toilet. I couldn't bear to look so I have no idea if everything is gone. :'(

The bleeding has been less today, more like a very heavy period. I'm not feeling it flood out of me when I stand up.

I am still getting bad pains though. They come and go, really excruciating for a few minutes then nothing for 10minutes or so. It is exhausting and frightening. I'm worried that I haven't passed everything and there is more to come. I'm scared of going to the toilet for fear of that awful sensation of something big falling away.

I am taking diclofenac, paracetamol & dihydrocodeine that my gp put up for me. I'm also using a hot water bottle and just resting on the couch.

Yesterday the pregnancy unit told me I should feel better after I had passed the baby. Has anyone else continued to have almost like contractions even when everything is gone?

They called me today but my phone was on silent so I missed it. They said I shouldn't need a follow up scan but I will ring tomorrow to see what they think.

Sorry for the pathetic post, I know a lot of people on here have been through much worse. sad

jazzyjenbo Tue 18-Mar-14 22:05:25

Ohh pony i'm so sorry for your loss and its not pathetic at all!! Please don't think that, u need hand holding and advise and ppl r here for you.

I had medical but have had similar symptoms as you.. I went for scan and baby had died aswell.

During the miscarriage i passed the sac, clots and other products like u have described and also had very heavy bleeding.

For approx 2 days had cramps and contractions and although wasnt flooding passed some large clots.

Once the clots had cleared the pains went but continued to bleed for approx 2 weeks....(lots of mucas aswell sorry tmi)

If you start to flood again or the pains don't go or u get any unpleasant smell u should get checked out again. Maybe insist on a follow up scan.. I had one and was told everything had passed but still thick lining and clots (this passed with horrendous first AF 1 month post MC)

Sorry if this is all TMI but just want you to know ur not alone with ur experience (i took comfort that others had similar stories so i felt i had support)

Be kind to yourself over the following weeks x x

JokersGiggle Tue 18-Mar-14 22:20:47

I am so sorry for your loss x thanks

bakingtins Tue 18-Mar-14 23:02:06

pony I'm so sorry. It is a horrible thing to go through and I think the information and support given could be so much better, you shouldn't have to be scared and lonely throughout.
If your bleeding is settling then I should think the worst is over. I've had 4 natural or medically managed Mc at 8-10 weeks and the pattern has been horrendous bleeding until the sac is passed then settling down. The cramps could well be your uterus contracting back down. On different occasions I've either had a follow up scan or been told to take a pregnancy test and expect it to be negative in 2 weeks (if it's not they will do blood HCG to check it is low and falling, it has taken me three weeks to get a negative test ) Having a scan may give you some closure knowing it is definitely all over but it does mean another trip to EPU and encounter with fanny-cam, which can be pretty difficult when you are so emotionally raw.
I should think you are pretty shocked at hearing the worst news followed straight away by the physical loss, don't be surprised if it hits you emotionally in a few days time. There is lots of support here whenever you need it.

healthyhippo Tue 18-Mar-14 23:11:29

Really sorry you've had to go through this sad
It's so awful.
It sounds like the worst may be over if you've passed the sac and lots of tissue.
I had a scan to make sure everything had passed but did lose another bit of tissue a couple of weeks after that. Make sure you take as much time off as you need and take some iron too as you have lost a lot of blood.
Take care.

jbee1979 Tue 18-Mar-14 23:28:11

Hi Pony. My story sounds so similar to yours, although I was able to hang in there and have the surgical management on 7th March. I can't imagine what you have been through. Sad times. Thinking of you. I was an emotional wreck, but my dr and a midwife said it was okay to go back on the pill to help my hormones even out so I could go back to work without crying at customers. Its helped. Also very scared about getting pregnant right now, I imagine my insides look like a war zone! Xx

picklepen Wed 19-Mar-14 00:22:41

Hi Pony
So very, very sorry you're going through this.
I miscarried spontaneously at 12 weeks- had 3-4 days of cramps though they were worst on day 2. I didn't get the feeling of anything coming away but I know what you mean. sadthanks
Be gentle with yourself.
[Hugs]

ponyponypony Wed 19-Mar-14 10:35:09

Thank you for your kind words.

Last night I slept quite well from 1am - 6am. This morning I am getting awful awful cramps again. I have just taken some tramadol on top of everything else, because the cramps are reducing me to tears. I know I have a low pain threshold, but I'm struggling to cope. sad

bakingtins Wed 19-Mar-14 11:45:35

pony contact EPU or wherever you were scanned and ask to be checked out. You sound like you need to see someone and be told either that the worst is over and your uterus is empty, or that there is more to come (sometimes material becomes lodged in the cervix and can cause pain until it comes away or is removed) They are there to support you through this, that is their job and reason for existing. You don't have to do this on your own.

Ruggle Wed 19-Mar-14 11:58:11

So sorry for you loss. My natural mmc (at 11 weeks) took over a week for everything to pass. I passed the sac and most of the remaining clots over the course of two days, but I continued to have cramps until I had passed all the remaining clots, and bled lightly for a further week. I had a scan after a week and after two weeks to check on progress. By the second scan everything was clear apart from some remaining blood which I was told would just come out with my next period. They weren't worried about infections unless it went on for many weeks, and they were happy to keep an eye on me in the meantime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now