2nd MC in row

(7 Posts)
starfish99 Fri 14-Mar-14 14:03:23

was feeling pretty upbeat about this pregnancy until I suddenly m/c this morning. out of the blue i had some stomach pains and went to the toilet and lots of blood and the sac came out. I had a mmc in Jan, and thought the chance of it happening again were really low. absolutely devastated.

does anybody know if I'm able to get any testing done after 2 m/cs? I really don't to go through another one just because nhd guidelines say I need to have 3 before they'll do anything.

Ruggle Fri 14-Mar-14 15:26:53

Sorry for your loss! How far along were you?
I had a mmc at 11 weeks in July, followed by a mc at 5 weeks in November. At that point I was in the same situation, but my GP did actually refer me to the recurrent miscarriage clinic (possibly due to my age...39...and not yet having had any children). However, 2 weeks after the second one I fell pregnant again, and am now 18 weeks along and everything seems fine. I waited until my 12 weeks scan before cancelling the RMC appointment.
It's really hard to know what to do at the pint where you've had 2 and can't contemplate going through it again. If you can speak to your GP you might be able to get a referral after two, but it may depend on your age and whether or not you already have kids.
Good luck!

starfish99 Fri 14-Mar-14 18:22:34

thanks Ruggle.. congratulations on your pregnancy. must be nerve walking after 2 m/cs.
I had both m/cs at 5 weeks. would just like to talk to someone about what the causes could be really, my doc doesn't have a clue and feel like he's just fobbing me off. Just want someone to listen and take me seriously, and possibly offer tests if they think it's necessary rather than just telling me to 'try again and see what happens'.

Forester Fri 14-Mar-14 19:15:21

I'm sorry that this has happened to you again. I had two MMC's last year but haven't tried to get testing at this stage so not sure whether there are any other routes to explore. (I do have a DD and also the MMC's happened at different dates) It's probably worth posting on the recurrent miscarriage thread (included on this board) as I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

healthyhippo Fri 14-Mar-14 19:25:53

Also sorry for your loss x
Whether you get tested after two depends on your age.
I've also had two in a row and have my testing appointment next week as I'm over 35 (37). No idea what they will look at, lots of bloods I'm told. They've said that its just testing for me at this stage but DH wants to come along to support me so he will be there too if required.

Triplespin Sat 15-Mar-14 01:41:03

Hi star. I am sorry to hear of your losses.

I am in a similar boat with 2mc, both very early at 5+3 and then second starting at 6 weeks.

I have been told that I need 3mc before I can be referred. I find there must be a reason for my losses as both were around a similar time and both times my body spontaneously miscarried.

I have decided to go for testing privately as I don't really want to start trying again before I have done answers. Don't think I would emotionally be able to handle another loss.

It may be worth it posting on the recurrent miscarriage, trials and testing thread. The ladies on there will be more knowledgeable on the process for referral etc as I am only at the beginning of the process (just miscarried this evening!).

All the best.

bakingtins Sat 15-Mar-14 16:13:48

I paid privately to see a consultant (c £200) after my 3rd MC - it wasn't 3 in a row so didn't "count" for NHS purposes. My GP was sympathetic and did a lot of the blood tests the consultant recommended on the NHS. I was 38, I didn't feel I had either time or the emotional energy to "qualify".
Bear in mind that even after 3 consecutive miscarriages they will only find a reason in 50% of cases. Many people are just unlucky enough to have 2 consecutive chromosome problems. Of the 50% of recurrent miscarriers where no reason is found 70% will have a successful pregnancy 4th time round, I turned out to be in the 30% sad and had a 4th MC, but have since had NK cell testing which is not available on the NHS, tested positive and am 28 weeks pregnant after treatment.
You are very welcome on the RMC thread if you have any more questions, we apply the criteria much less strictly than the NHS!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now