Loss of one twin

(13 Posts)
Expectingtwins1975 Fri 21-Feb-14 21:29:47

I'm currently 21 weeks and found out today during a scan that one of my twins has died (probably happened over the last week) - was totally unexpected hadn't had any indication of problems and both seemed fine at a scan I had at 18 and a half weeks. Don't know what the chances are for the remaining twins survival. Hospital didn't say. I wondered if anyone had experience of this and if they would mind sharing? My twins were completely separate placentas etc.

TIA

bluecheque4595 Fri 21-Feb-14 21:32:34

Sorry for your loss.

wifey6 Fri 21-Feb-14 21:42:22

no advice I'm afraid but just wanted to say how truly sorry I am for your loss.

Expectingtwins1975 Fri 21-Feb-14 21:49:04

Thanks

mylittlemy Fri 21-Feb-14 21:55:30

Am so sorry for your loss, just wanted to say this happened to me and my remaining twin is a lovely 4 month old baby girl x

Oh I am so so sorry for your loss. Poor poor you. I have no advice for you but just want to say that you should take time to absorb the loss of one of your precious babies. The fact that you still have one darling baby doesn't mean that this should be any less painful. It is more complex but all the more important that you try to understand your feelings.

Take care

Xxx

marmitecat Fri 21-Feb-14 22:01:05

I'm sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my prayers

WooAGhostCat Fri 21-Feb-14 22:08:39

I'm a surviving twin smile

Many, many years ago, I think Mum was also 20 weeks, got terrible heavy bleeding, cramps etc. Was in Africa so not a sodding thing she could do about it until she got home.
After scan found the other twin (identical apparently) hadn't survived but I was still there.
After birth found out there were all sorts of placenta and cord anomalies (these would be diagnosed early nowadays) and I shouldn't have survived either, but here I am and I'm very healthy!
Miracles happen every day.

RandomMess Fri 21-Feb-14 22:10:55

So sorry for your loss. The only person I know had this happen much earlier in pregnancy but she did go on to have full term healthy pregnancy with her remaining one.

Expectingtwins1975 Sat 22-Feb-14 10:17:39

Many thanks for all your stories ..... Gives me a bit of hope

jazzyjenbo Sat 22-Feb-14 12:26:46

Hi,
I'm so sorry for your loss. This happened to me but much earlier in the pregnancy and mine shared a placenta (identical)
By the time i had my son all that remained of his twin was a cord and placenta, i like to think that my little lost boy was absorbed by his brother and is still part of me.
Your little one will probably still remain and wont fully absorb but if i were u i would maybe start thinking now whilst you can as to what you want to do after your twins birth.
It maybe possible if you speak to the hospital and chaplin to have the placenta and any other material cremated so that you have a place to visit. If this isnt your thing then why not think of a way of remembering ur little angel such as planting a tree or some kind if jewellery.
Its just a thought and I know ur emotions must be all over the place and you may get some hurtful comments along the way but trust me your not alone and it is perfectly ok to grieve for your baby and you will remember them always.

'an angel in the book of life looked on my babies birth, and as he slowly closed the book whispered.. To beautiful for earth'

Expectingtwins1975 Sat 22-Feb-14 14:05:35

Thanks jazzy

TheBuggerlugs Sun 23-Feb-14 21:18:21

Expecting I've seen some of your posts on other threads and I am so so sorry to read your sad news. I've had 3 miscarriages but all of them pre 12 weeks so I can't begin to understand how you're feeling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now