MC at 5+2 - When should hcg drop to give a negative pg test?

(6 Posts)
purplemurple1 Tue 18-Feb-14 08:59:30

Pretty sure I'm having/had a MC cramps and heavy red bleed overnight but stopped now. (I'm not in the UK and have been told its just to wait 3 weeks and do a home test again.)

I need to take hormone tablets to ovulate but can't take these whe pg, and would like to start these asap as they take a couple of months to start working. So I'm wondering when my hcg levels should start to drop so I can confirm to myself that it was a mc.

If I use one of those digital test that tell you how many weeks you are and it says less weeks than it did last week, is it safe to assume I've mc?

thanks

bakingtins Tue 18-Feb-14 10:06:15

Hormone levels will start to drop as soon as the pregnancy starts to fail. How long it takes to get a negative depends on how high the HCG was to start with, so with an early loss you should get a negative fairly quickly. I'd try testing in a week, but I wouldn't worry if it was still positive at that stage.
If it continues to be positive then push for a scan, at the stage you are now it would not be conclusive because they wouldn't expect to see anything more than a sac, but if you still test positive in a few weeks then a 7 week pregnancy should have a heartbeat.
It is possible to bleed and not miscarry, but the heavy bleed and cramps doesn't sound positive. I'd prepare yourself to have the miscarriage confirmed. flowers

jazzyjenbo Wed 19-Feb-14 16:14:22

I have just had a miscarriage at 10 weeks and it took 2 weeks to get bfn.

If i were u without having definite confirmation continue to look after yourself as if you are still pregnant but thinking u'll b negative in 2 weeks.

I say this as it is possible you could still b pregnant, u may of lost a twin.

In my first pregnancy i thought i was pregnant and was about to test at 5 weeks then started bleeding (like a period) so just thought i may of got my dates wrong or period was having an irregular cycle.

When a couple of weeks later i still felt rotton i waited 4 weeks from lmp test and got bfp... My point being i was 16 weeks at 12 week scan and had lost a twin when i had the 'period'.

I really hope u r ok, if u have miscarried then start ur medication from bfn so u have reference guide for ovulation and ttc.

If u would likd to talk to othe mc mums I will bump the fb group i run on the mn posts x x

jazzyjenbo Fri 21-Feb-14 16:10:23

Just wondering how ur getting on? Been thinking about you x

ImBrian Mon 24-Feb-14 19:36:03

I got a bfp at 4+2 and started bleeding at 5 weeks. I got a negative test the second day of bleeding but my line never got very dark. When I mc at 6.5 weeks it took nearly 3 weeks to get a bfn.

purplemurple1 Thu 27-Feb-14 19:20:54

Hi Jazzy,

I got a neg test a few days after my bleeding started, so restarted my tablets - just waiting for my AF to show up so I can start ttc again and have a clue where I am in my cycle.

Hope you're doing OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now