Miscarriage or ectopic? HGC levels down then up

(6 Posts)
SparrowSG Mon 17-Feb-14 23:54:11

Hi all,

Last Tues/Wed at just short of 8 weeks I had what I thought was a MC. However after having my hormone levels monitored at the EPAU last Thurs/Sat & today I am now worried it could be an ectopic pregnancy. My levels were 2200, 2000 & today 2700, the fact it has gone up today has put me in panic mode. I was sure it was just a MC and my levels were going down slowly as I'm in no pain apart from the odd twinge and feel physically fine otherwise. However after the count today increasing I'm wondering if it's a ticking time bomb inside.
Does anyone have any experience of hormone levels going down then up again after a mc? Or is this definitely a sign of an ectopic?
Only got the latest results late tonight so no doctor available to speak to, would be very grateful to hear from anyone else who's been in a similar situation. Thanks xxx

bakingtins Tue 18-Feb-14 10:09:20

Hi Sparrow, sorry you didn't get any replies yesterday. I hope you've been able to contact someone today and arrange a scan to see what is going on. I think it's unlikely an ectopic could get to the 8-9 week stage without causing you serious problems, but obviously it needs checking. You may have some retained material? I think either way you probably need to be checked out again.

kalidasa Tue 18-Feb-14 10:43:57

What a worry. But would be quite late for an ectopic I think, especially if you have no pain and don't feel 'strange' or unwell. Did you bleed very heavily? Have you had a MC before to compare it to? It might be an 'incomplete' MC in which case they'll probably do a D&C I think. Can you call the EPU today to ask for advice?

SparrowSG Tue 18-Feb-14 10:45:45

Hi Bakingtins, thanks for your reply. I called the EPAU this morning and a doctor is going to call me later to discuss my results. I think I still want to wait till the end of the week to make any decision on treatment, which is what I told the consultant on Sunday after my scan. As you said, at 8 weeks surely I would feel some pain if a baby was growing outside my uterus? I didn't mention in my original post that I have already had two transvaginal scans, one last Wednesday at a private clinic and one last Sunday with a consultant at the EPAU. Both showed an empty uterus and both ovaries looked healthy and they could see no sign of an ectopic.

Northey Tue 18-Feb-14 10:50:00

I don't want to alarm you, but I got that far along with an ectopic (lots of doctors doing double takes at my dates and hcg levels etc), so it is not impossible that you are having one.

Is it possible that you could have lost a twin, which might account for levels falling then rising again?

SparrowSG Tue 18-Feb-14 11:00:02

kalidasa, I haven't had a MC before no, so nothing to compare it to. I didn't bleed overly heavy and had period like pain on day 2. Both doctors who have done the scans have said that there is nothing left inside, I am guessing that they can see that from the scans.

Northey, it is possible I guess that it was a twin, they don't run in my family but I am 38 and I know twins are more common the older you are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now