Help! MMC at 6 weeks, wtaf came out of me yesterday?

(11 Posts)
LanaStraightLeg Tue 11-Feb-14 23:07:57

Sorry if this is a little graphic, I'm completely freaking out at what came out of me yesterday.

Currently getting to the end of a mmc, went for a scan at what should have been 9 weeks after a few days of bleeding and was only measuring 5+5, then a second scan a week later confirmed miscarriage.

I've been bleeding for about 2.5 weeks now (but hopefully getting to the tail end of it), no cramps to speak of, hardly any clots and only small ones.

Scan last week confirmed that the sac had gone. A few days before that I'd passed something that looked/felt a bit like a dead baby bird in texture, didn't really look like anything but thought it could have been a 5+5 week old foetus, from google they look like a kind of elongated tadpole, so thought that was probably it.

Yesterday found this large piece of ... meat ... in my pants when I wiped. A couple of inches long, it had a piece that looked like a bit of root or umbilical cord (same size, muscley texture) but very dark red, then on the end a pair of joined tear drop or pear shaped things, pale pink and smooth. They felt fleshy rather than seeming to have anything inside them. Tbh the thing they most resembled was a tiny pair of smooth shiny testicles, about 1-1.5 cm long.

This doesn't look or sound like any descriptions of the sac I've seen or read online. Tbh from my googling the thing it most resembles is an ovary, but I'm relatively sure that an ovary can't just fall out and definitely without me feeling it.

Most sacs seem to be oval or egg-shaped, not two pears joined together. If it was a sac, would it have taken at least 5 days to be expelled (from the time scan confirmed sac had gone to the time I found it)? Could it be a sac in the process of splitting into twins? Should I call the EPU and ask to be rescanned?

Sorry for all the info, just really worried about what it could have been.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 11-Feb-14 23:13:01

Could it have been the start of what would become the placenta?

I had a medical termination many many years ago, and a few days afterwards a long spongy looking pinkish thing came out of me. I was just about to go into one of my final exams and was so freaked out I flunked the exam totally. I still have no idea what it was, but went on to have three healthy pregnancies.

Silly question, but do you still have it? Could you take it to them for examination?

LanaStraightLeg Tue 11-Feb-14 23:17:15

Thanks for the reply. Maybe? Did think that, have been googling but finding nothing that looks like it.

Don't have it unfortunately, was at my parents' and my two year old was yelling for me so panicked and flushed sad

LackaDAISYcal Tue 11-Feb-14 23:32:45

You poor thing though, it's quite a traumatic thing to go through sad. Are you OK?

I had a MC at almost 12 weeks and passed something very solid into the loo whilst DH had gone out to buy me more sanitary towels. I couldn't look and was just sat hugging the (closed) loo when he got home, incapable of speaking. He didn't look either, just led me gently away from the loo and then flushed. I had already been to A&E after I started bleeding; it was a Friday night and they had sent me home with the advice to go to the EPU on Monday.
I'm still haunted at the thought of flushing my dead foetus down the loo sad

LackaDAISYcal Tue 11-Feb-14 23:33:17

...and step away from google; that was madness lies!

LanaStraightLeg Tue 11-Feb-14 23:42:13

Yes, I've lost all squeamishness for google images!

The bit I thought was the foetus I saved and cremated and will scatter in the garden.

I'm fine, thank you for asking. Sorry you had such a difficult experience x

LongRoadToRuin Wed 12-Feb-14 00:01:14

I had a mmc at 13 weeks, the baby stopped growing at 8 weeks and I passed exactly the same thing as you describe and assumed it was the placenta. I know it wasn't the baby because I passed that earlier in the day. I think it was definitely the placenta.

You sound very together about it all and thats good. I am sorry for your loss though.

LanaStraightLeg Wed 12-Feb-14 00:12:33

Thank you, LongRoad, that really helps. Sorry you've been through this too.

Toucanet Fri 14-Feb-14 02:00:56

Hi, from my mmc at 12,6 of a 6-wk foetus last year wonder if it could've been just the last remaining bit of sac? I passed an intact meaty/muscly sac looking like 2 plums joined together, with a clear stem at the top. Hence wondering if you might have just passed the remaining stem & top of sac, if the rest had already gone? Sure it wouldn't have been an ovary!
This wkend though my 2nd mmc (12,6 again but 9-wk foetus), passed foetus & placenta, no sign of a sac which got me worrying it's still to come - but nurse advised all mcs are different and chance of anything remaining after passing the foetus slim. So I wouldn't worry too much trying to pin down exactly what it could've been. Fingers crossed your bleeding stops soon - maybe just ask an EPU nurse for advice/reassurance, but another scan if the bleeding continues much longer?

Elderberri Sat 15-Feb-14 18:11:25

Yes I passed a baby at 8 weeks. Looked like what you said. In shock I flushed.

LanaStraightLeg Mon 17-Feb-14 08:07:25

Thank you both, and sorry to hear about your second mmc Toucanet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now