Recurrent Miscarriage Support - tests, treatment, trying again - thread 9

(996 Posts)
bakingtins Sun 19-Jan-14 07:41:10

Welcome everyone - pull up a chair! A thread for anyone who has suffered multiple miscarriages and is in need of information, moral support, tea or sympathy. Newbies very welcome.

Can we start the thread with a recap of where we are all up to again, please?

Justonemoretime Thu 01-May-14 17:51:51

How awful for Jbrd, she must be in pieces. If you are in touch, Baking, please send my best wishes. sad

Triplespin Thu 01-May-14 18:01:36

Oh no this is devastating news. I a so sorry to hear this. She had gone through enough already and for it all to fall through at such a late stage .... It makes my mcs really pale in comparison. I do hope she has good support in real life.

Hope everyone else is well! I had my first spotting free day 7 weeks since mc. I hope AF arrived over the course of this month!

mintleaf Thu 01-May-14 20:36:07

Totally gutted for jbrd. I was with her on the posifrickintivity thread and she is absolutely lovely. If she's reading this I hope she knows that she's being thought of and cared about all over the place. Absolutely devastating and am deeply sorry. X

mintleaf Thu 01-May-14 20:37:09

P.s love CamomileHoneyVanilla flowers

Tryingno1 Fri 02-May-14 10:32:49

Bakingtins- I just wanted to ask what quenby said about ur mc? As 2 of mine have also been after seeing a heartbeat. Did she have any opinions about this? Is it common for nk cells to do that?

X

TinyTear Fri 02-May-14 10:38:43

I only saw a hb in the last one, but the first was at 10w and the third at 8, so there could have been a hb but I never got early scans then...

Can't wait to go to Prof Q...

Tryingno1 Fri 02-May-14 10:46:28

So many questions. Hard to not be obsessed!
Hope ur appt goes well tiny tear

JBrd Fri 02-May-14 10:50:06

Ladies, thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts - this means so much.

I was induced yesterday, it was all quite straightforward, no complications, and even the (physical) pain was much less than I expected. Managed to get home in time to put DS to bed (the GPs were here to help, but it was nice to do something 'normal').
Feeling very tired and drained today, it has been a lot to process in a very short time. This was my first 'missed' mc - with all the others, I had bleeding etc. for quite some time before they were confirmed, so I had been expecting bad news. This one hit me out of the blue, we had two great scans at 12 weeks, where everything looked completely fine. I had started to believe that this might actually happen, felt that we are now through the worry zone and can start to relax. Yes, the amnio was hanging over us, but I was deluded enough to think that there was a good chance all would be fine - after all, I've had my share of bad luck, right!?
Turns out, no.
This week has been a total rollercoaster, and I am still trying to take it all in. Everyone has been absolutely brilliant - DH, the midwife, the hospital, family and friends, even work. Now I need to find the strength somehow to resume my normal life, whatever that might be.

Not sure I will be back here... Lots to think about. But I will continue to lurk and cheer you all on silently. Please don't be disheartened by my bad luck - if I'm the statistical 'freak', more chance for you all that you'll have sticky beans!
Good luck, ladies, keep going, you will get there!

tannyLoo Fri 02-May-14 11:06:14

JBrd I'm pleased to hear you're ok at the moment, and just gutted for you and everything you've been through. To have come so far...

I understand the need to withdraw for a while, but we are all here for you, you are in our thoughts, and will be really happy to hear from you when you're up to it.

If the group thing is too much, I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say please PM us if you want to chat.

Lots of love xxx

TinyTear Fri 02-May-14 11:11:57

Jbrd big big hugs and I hope you continue to be ok and have all the support around you.

More than natural to want to take a break for a while... we will be wishing you all the best, and yes, do PM if you want to talk 1 on 1 with any of us...

Trying I don't have my appointment yet, need one more AF and only then will get the ovulation sticks out to make the appointment... wait wait wait...

bakingtins Fri 02-May-14 19:14:19

jbrd thanks for updating us. Of course we can understand you needing some time away to come to terms with your loss, but we will be thinking of you.

trying I'd seen a HB in 3 out of the 4 MC, the other one MC without a scan first but baby had got beyond the HB stage IYSWIM? They were all at between 8-10 weeks. The later ones where I was having multiple scan trying to figure out what was happening development was behind dates and getting further behind with each scan, so at 7 weeks there was no HB, but by 8 weeks there was one, but measuring about 10 days behind, still at HB at 9 weeks but less than a week of development, then MC later that week. Tests later showed a perfect embryo literally starved out sad That seems a bit unusual on the pred thread where most MC from NK cells seem to be early, but maybe it depends on levels? Mine are high but not v high, I guess that slows down the process. Prof Q was pretty certain from my history that it would be my issue so I guess it can present different ways.

Forester Fri 02-May-14 19:47:56

I'm pretty new to this thread so I don't know your background jbrd but the fact that you were previously on this thread and now you've lost this baby means you must have been having / and still having an awful time. I'm so sorry for you. flowers

tannyLoo Fri 02-May-14 21:21:00

Has anyone got an email address that works for Prof Q's secretary? I emailed an address I found online, but I've had no response...

I have my appointment with the consultant here on 12th, but I really think that whatever the outcome I want to investigate NK cells. I know it feels a bit like jumping on the bandwagon, but I fit the pattern of early MCs, and want to make sure I've covered all angles before trying again.

I think I've only got one try left in me, so I want it to be a good one...

Sorry I haven't said hi to everyone joining us. Hi!

JBrd still thinking of you honey.

Justonemoretime Sat 03-May-14 07:21:44

Tanny, in my early morning state of digital confusion I have replied to your message on the other thread blush

tannyLoo Sat 03-May-14 07:59:52

Just thanks lovely x

bakingtins Sat 03-May-14 10:32:21
Purplefrogshoes Sat 03-May-14 11:19:04

jbrd I am so very sorry, will be thinking of you

tannyLoo Sun 04-May-14 10:44:52

Thanks baking x

SeaSaltMill Tue 06-May-14 09:13:01

I'm just here to update on my appointment on Friday. It was my first (and apparently only) appointment with the consultant. Luckily we saw the man himself. He was brilliant. Very matter of fact but with a sense of humour. (asked me if i had any Dcs. said no. Asked DH, he said yes from a previous relationship. Consultant said 'no shit?' haha) He seems very confident that it will happen and be fine for us. He's put me on 75mg aspirin and cyclogest (progesterone) 400mg 1 per day pessaries. He said I am to use them every day from day 14 of my cycle (though I usually ovulate on day 16 so more like then) through for 2 weeks until bfp. If no Bfp I will stop and AF will arrive. If I get a BFP I will carry them on until 14 weeks. He has given me the prog due to having never seen a heartbeat, he thinks my luteal phase may be defective and perhaps I'm not producing enough progesterone for my body.

He sent me for lupus anticoagulant bloods too, and I have 2/3 weeks for those results. If I test positive for that, I will need to go back for another, but he also said, that he would prescribe heparin injections anyway if they are positive. Just in case I fall pregnant in that time.

I've been discharged from his care, back to my GP. I am feeling quite positive, I feel like we have that little push we need. I ovulated the day before my appointment so I started the cyclogest straight away. We only had sex once during my fertile period, but it only takes one doesn't it....?

It appears I'm quite lucky to have been given the progesterone this early so I am really hoping it works! Feeling quite good. Thanks to everyone for your help up to this point.

SeaSaltMill Tue 06-May-14 09:15:17

I posted this without reading. I'm so sorry jbrd.

mintleaf Tue 06-May-14 10:00:27

Don't be sorry SeaSalt. It's good to hear to hear your update (I appreciate I'm talking on behalf of JBrd a bit but I think she would feel the same). Your consultant sounds like someone who knows what they're doing. Fingers crossed for you. It does only take one!

JBrd I hope you're as well as you can be in the circumstances and that you've got lots of real life support. I hope your time away is helpful and soothing. Wishing you all the best.

I'm back in EPU waiting room atm awaiting my 'is everything gone' scan and my inevitable receipt of my 73rd copy of the miscarriage info leaflet (which they thrust at me every time bless them). I'm so f£&king fed up today (sorry). 'Missed' my non-existent children a lot this weekend (was a very child oriented bank hol and 'they' would've enjoyed it I think). Sigh.

Hope everyone else is doing better.

tannyLoo Tue 06-May-14 11:06:10

Well I've just come home from a very positive GP apt, she signed off for a month more to cover notice period, my rheumatoid factor, liver function, blood sugar and thyroid levels are all normal, to find this from my consultant.

I didn't realise how much I was holding onto that gossamer thread of hope that there was something treatable, something that might make me feel like I could try again.

This letter just feels like such a brush off. I feel tiny and insignificant.

I have an appointment with him next week. I really don't know if I can bear to go.

bakingtins Tue 06-May-14 11:44:35

That all sounds positive seasalt good luck for your first 2WW on progesterone. Really don't worry about being upbeat, we are all aware of the rollercoaster nature of this journey and this thread is here for the highs and the lows. I'm sure Jbrd wouldn't want anyone being less than totally honest how they are getting on.

mint hope you get the all clear. Maybe you should politely decline the leaflet and suggest some other ways they could be supporting their 'frequent flyers'. What support are they actually offering you at this point? A leaflet just doesn't cut it really! Sending you ((HUGS))

tanny that's a really hard situation to be in. In many ways it's good that the RF in particular is negative, I guess that makes rheumatoid arthritis less of a possibility for you with your joint pains, but I know what you mean about it being really frustrating to have no diagnosis. A reason for losses does seem to make them easier to bear, particularly if it also means some specific treatment is available. In your shoes I would go to your appointment anyway and grill him on what possible causes have not been investigated and what options are open to you (NK cells, tertiary referral to St Mary's...)
We were at the point after our NHS referral left us with no diagnosis of deciding not to try again, it feels masochistic to keep doing the same things and expect a different outcome. Easy enough for them to suggest it when it's not them going through the heartache.

tannyLoo Tue 06-May-14 19:27:02

I've been a bit proactive this afternoon and emailed Prof Q's secretary, and had an acupuncture session. Both have helped (a bit). My acupuncturist would like me to go down the Chinese medicine and acupuncture route without any other interventions. I'll look into it, but I think I always assumed that it would be complimentary to my western medical treatment.

I don't know. I need a few days to regroup...

tannyLoo Tue 06-May-14 19:30:19

Baking I meant to say thank you. It's good to know you've been in a similar place, iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now