Experience of good practice today in relation to miscarriage

(13 Posts)
duvetheaven Fri 18-Oct-13 21:43:54

As it was known I have been experiencing a miscarriage for two weeks when I turned up at the Maternity / EPU today they ushered me into a separate room where I could sit on my own rather than having to sit with all the expectant mothers facing the noticeboard with pictures of 12 week scans. This really made a difference to me - even though last week I sat in the main waiting area. Maybe one day there will be a separate waiting room/ area?

HollyBen Sat 19-Oct-13 10:50:29

The EPU in Edinburgh Royal infirmary has a separate writing room. However you do need to walk through the maternity waiting room to get there from the entrance of the hospital

HollyBen Sat 19-Oct-13 11:22:55

Waiting room not writing room obv!

Bakingtins Sat 19-Oct-13 13:56:06

That's good. It's worth filling in a comments form to say it made a difference. At my local hospital EPU is with gynae, not maternity services.

duvetheaven Sun 20-Oct-13 21:59:58

That's interesting to know HollyBen and Bakingtins. Perhaps I will write a letter as I have found the current health board area I live in to be lagging behind the previous health board area I lived in when I had 2 previous MC's which is why I was pleasantly surprised by my experience above.

Forester Mon 21-Oct-13 19:50:48

My local hospital also has EPU / Gynae separate from maternity and all other services. (Though for scans you are still back with all the baby bumps sad)

Huffpot Tue 22-Oct-13 06:37:36

My local hospital has a separate EPU and when I went in to deliver my baby I was in a unit mikes away from maternity.
The gynaeo I saw for follow up WAS next to maternity but they made my appointment an hour before the maternity clinic opened so I was the only one there which was amazing

TinyTear Tue 22-Oct-13 15:21:52

At the Royal Free the EPU is on the same floor as maternity but the waiting room and scan rooms are a separate ward.

KatAndKit Thu 24-Oct-13 08:42:49

Three years ago i had a miscarriage followed by surgical management in Milton Keynes. Treatment was excellent. Epu nowhere near maternity and had its own scan room. Operation carried out in general day treatment centre so again, nowhere near maternity. Kind staff in epu.

the following year i moved and had a miscarriage at Kettering. So very different. Ridiculously the epu shares a waiting room with late pregnancy unit where women go if they need monitoring. You don't just see 12 weekers, you see big bumps. Very upsetting.

Jollyb Thu 24-Oct-13 17:18:27

EPU with gynaecology here too (think I might be from the same area as Bakingtins). Did have to sit in main antenatal waiting room when attended RMC clinic which wasn't so fun.

I have has excellent treatment with all my MCs. I sent a card after my ERPC.

CamomileHoneyVanilla Wed 30-Oct-13 21:50:00

I've had very positive experiences of the EPU at Colchester General. Easy access (during the week, not sure about the weekend), seen promptly, lovely staff, gave clear info, access to counsellor if needed, cancelled midwife appts for me etc. Couldn't fault them, made it a bit easier. And had EPU with gyaenecology which as everyone has said is essential.

loopylouu Fri 08-Nov-13 15:51:48

The EPU at Queen Charlottes in Hammersmith is also good. It's separate from the maternity by quite a way and they have their own scanners. I've been seen there at 17 weeks recently for a scan for pain and spotting rather than being sent to maternity, which I was very grateful for.

HootShoot Fri 08-Nov-13 15:56:42

EPU where I am was a small waiting area within the larger waiting area for maternity so you saw a constant stream of women happily going to and from their scans which was tough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now