Any point going to hospital?

(22 Posts)
SprinkleTwinkleMagic Mon 14-Oct-13 15:47:37

They only did a urine test today, I thought it would of been a blood test. Urine test came back negative but id just had a wee before I went in n I literally only peed out a drop for the urine sample.

Im not convinced about the negative result, in July when I went to hospital I had a negative urine sample but a blood test came up positive. So im going to buy a test on Saturday and if that says negative then ill believe ive had a miscarrige.

Im a bit hmmm because ive only bled for three days ( its completely stopped now) and im further along than I was in July. And nothing has passed yet so as daft as it sounds because it hasn't "fell out" im not entirely convinced ive had a miscarrige. I bled foe much longer in July and I was in agony.

I could of well had a miscarrige but its just strange that I passed the baby last time but nothing this time when im further along.

just going to have to wait and see xx

SprinkleTwinkleMagic Mon 14-Oct-13 15:47:27

They only did a urine test today, I thought it would of been a blood test. Urine test came back negative but id just had a wee before I went in n I literally only peed out a drop for the urine sample.

Im not convinced about the negative result, in July when I went to hospital I had a negative urine sample but a blood test came up positive. So im going to buy a test on Saturday and if that says negative then ill believe ive had a miscarrige.

Im a bit hmmm because ive only bled for three days ( its completely stopped now) and im further along than I was in July. And nothing has passed yet so as daft as it sounds because it hasn't "fell out" im not entirely convinced ive had a miscarrige. I bled foe much longer in July and I was in agony.

I could of well had a miscarrige but its just strange that I passed the baby last time but nothing this time when im further along.

just going to have to wait and see xx

HollyBen Sun 13-Oct-13 22:04:02

Fingers crossed for good news Sprinkle. Let us know how you get on x

SprinkleTwinkleMagic Sun 13-Oct-13 18:02:42

Thank you. Yes I went to EPU in July, we have one quite close. I rang them up today and told them what's happening and my previous miscarrige ect.

Woman on the phone said 20% of woman have bleeding in their pregnancys. She also said its looking positive if iv had no pain or clots. She said vest thing to do as I didnt want to go to hospital was to go to my go tomorrow and get my blood took. Then to ring up two days later for the results.

Because im 5.6 weeks now if it is a miscarrige my hcg will be quite low. If everythings ok then I think my hcg should be at least a 1000?

Im guessing a thousand because last time at 5.4 days my hcg was 500 and it doubles every 48 hours or somthing doesn't it.

Im not holding out for good news because if I get my hopes up ill be devastated if its gone. But things are looking positive at the minute. Just a horrible waiting game isnt it x

Bakingtins Sun 13-Oct-13 07:53:25

Sprinkle will keep everything crossed for you. It is possible to have huge bleeds and still have an ongoing pregnancy. I would go to EPU tomorrow and get some clarity. You are at the very earliest stage they might see a heartbeat so not seeing one is going to put you in limbo for a bit, in that situation you would be rescanned in a week.
Do you know how to access EPU? Some are walk-in but others you need GP to fax a referral so it would be worth finding out today and getting in touch with out of hours GP if you can't self refer.

SprinkleTwinkleMagic Sun 13-Oct-13 02:11:29

Yes gandalf think I could do with some me time, I have gained an atrocious amount of wait since I got pregnant with my son, I was 9 1/2 stone, im nearly 11 1/2 now! Too many buiscuits in my case lol. Im sorry about your loss x

Im wondering now if im possibly having a threatened miscarrige? The pain has gone & it wasn't really severe to begin with, the bleeding was heavy yesterday but not too had today. Im only pondering this because the pain hasn't been bad at all, less painful than period pains and im further along now than I was in the first miscarrige. Im going to see how this bleeding gets on and take a test in a week or so. I know im just getting my hopes up that its just a threatened miscarrige but I suppose im going to.

I havnt cried or anything im just strangely numb at the minute, just doesn't seem real and part of me thinks it could still be ok. Daft I know but I suppose im going to feel this way sent I x

Habbibu Sat 12-Oct-13 00:39:54

I'm so sorry about your wee boy. And I know what you mean about the awful ache to have your baby in your arms. When dd1 died I had to take high dose folic acid for 6 months, so couldn't try, and it was so hard to wait. I had to tell myself it was all in preparation for getting pregnant again. Be gentle on yourself, and give yourself some time and space to breathe.

So sorry to hear about your little boy sprinkle, sounds like you've been through a very tough time. One thing that I did realise after coming back from the hospital on Wednesday, is that I really have let myself go, and this miscarriage was a bit of a wake up call for me. I need to loose weight ( have never ever been this fat in my life), stop puttying crap in my mouth and start to value my body more. That is my resolution until Christmas, and then we'll try again, i want to create a better environment for my baby to grow in. You sound like you've had an awfully tough year. Maybe you need a bit of you time too? Do you have someone that could properly take care of you for a while? I am so sorry for all you've been through, cannot even begin to imagine the loss of a baby x

TinyTear Fri 11-Oct-13 15:58:23

Just tell them you had a miscarriage, they need to log it.

Ask to be referred anyway as the prematurity could have been caused by an underlying problem that is also causing miscarriages. no harm in trying.

so sorry for your losses

when i had my investigations done, i couldn't try for another baby but at least i didn't feel like i was wasting time as i was doing something, if you see what I mean

SprinkleTwinkleMagic Fri 11-Oct-13 15:49:53

This is going to sound stupid but what do I say on the phone? I cant think straight at the minute. Sorry this isnt my 3rd miscarrige, I had a little boy in March, but he was 3 months premature and unfortunatly he passed away. I then fell pregnant in June but miscarried in July and now.

Im not in as much pain as I expected, and im 2 days further along than I was in July, but I suspect things will get worse before they get better.

I just feel numb at the minute, I was worried about miscarrying again but in the back of my mind I thought it was going to be ok.

Since my son passed away ive been desperate for another baby. Not to replace my son because I never could, he was lovely. But my hearts hurt since he died.

I think ive pushed my body to its limit atm, its been under a lot of stress this year especially as this is my third pregnancy in just over a year. I fell pregnant with my son in September ladt year so ive been pregnant too many times in one year I think.

It took us two years to get pregnant with our son so we were really excited. But 3 pregnancys in just over a year is far too much isnt it.

Even now id like to start trying again as soon as I can, but realisitcly I need to give my body at least 6/7 months rest.

Its just awful, I cant quite believe its happening. Thank you all for replying,

TinyTear Fri 11-Oct-13 13:38:19

So sorry, but 3 in the 'magic' number that you can be referred to further investigation. I was after three and then got lucky on my 4th prgnancy

Bakingtins Fri 11-Oct-13 13:34:05

If you would like to talk to us about potentially asking for testing then come to the recurrent miscarriage thread we'd be delighted to try and help.

Hi Sprinkle,

So sorry you are going through this. I miscarried at 9 w last weekend. I went to the EPU for an ultrasound, if you retain any 'products of conception' you could continue bleeding or develop an infection, ultrasound showed empty uterus, they took bloods for pregnancy hormone levels. I had to go back today for follow up bloods to make sure the hormone levels are falling, just to exclude a tube pregnancy. Midwife phoned me about an hour ago with blood results and asked me to poas in 2 weeks to make triple sure. They were lovely and very caring. If i were you I'd at least get a referral to an EPU. Take care,

flowers

HollyBen Fri 11-Oct-13 13:03:30

Hi Sprinkle. Sorry for your losses. How are you feeling today? I would have done exactly what you did. Having had 2 MC resulting in 2 EPRCs i would do most anything to avoid time in hospital. I would echo that you should get it on your records via GP or EPU as they might start doing some further investigation for recurring MC. Such an awful time. Big hugs x

eurochick Fri 11-Oct-13 12:48:37

I had a GP appointment just to get it on my notes, but didn't bother with hospital.

Frankly, staying at home in relative comfort was preferable to sitting on a hard plastic chair for a couple of hours.

lighthousesea Fri 11-Oct-13 12:44:54

Poor you. Sorry you are going through this. I second the advice to call the gp and discuss over the phone to ensure it's marked on your record.

Thinking of you

Habbibu Fri 11-Oct-13 09:45:21

I'm so sorry you're going through this. When you feel up to it, I would phone the early pregnancy unit, just to get the fact that this has happened on to your records and their radar - I've found that once you're in their system you can essentially bypass the GP, though it may be different everywhere. They may offer a scan, and you can choose to decline - that's entirely up to you. I just found things easier when I dealt directly with them (I have an ace GP, but it just felt like going through a third party a bit pointlessly).

As others have said, a third miscarriage can be a trigger for further investigations in some areas.

It's horrible, though, and you must be feeling rotten just now. Take care of yourself, and be gentle. I haven't had miscarriages per se, but had a baby with anencephaly and a molar pregnancy, and know how awful it feels to just wish that things would go right. If it's any consolation, my two "go rights" are watching Horrid Henry as I type.

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 11-Oct-13 09:36:58

Oh btw, if you have three consecutive miscarriages, most NHS trusts will treat it as a recurring miscarriage and you can ask your GP to refer you.

Take care.

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 11-Oct-13 09:34:37

Sorry you are going through this. I've had two miscarriages. First time round, it's just bleeding like a period. I went to the A&E, no scan and a simple urine test to check pregnancy hormones. I could have done it at home. Second time I was bleeding so badly that I couldn't leave the toilet. I stained my trousers bright red on the 20 min to the hospital. Ended up having the operation to extract the stuff within the uterus to stop the bleeding. And I lost so much blood I was on iron tablets for 2 months.

Both times I asked the doctors/midwifes and they all said there is no need to have a scan to check whether everything has come out. If it has, you'll stop bleeding. Both times they say see whether the bleeding stops within 7-10 days. (They might not have extracted everything in the operation, and they don't do a scan afterwards to confirm).

HTH. Have a lot of rest, a cup of tea, some biscuits and a good shoulder to cry on. I found that helps more than the hospital.

SprinkleTwinkleMagic Fri 11-Oct-13 09:25:05

Me too, Id only just said to my parnter last night that I thought everything was going to be ok with this one. This is my 3rd pregnancy now and I dont have any live children. Three seems like a big number at the minute.

Again I dont really see the point in ringing GP either, although I might change my mind about that in a few days,

Yes ill be getting a test. Thank you, I was a lot better than I thought it was going to be, I didnt wake up once and the pain again isnt too bad either. Thanks, relieved to have my thoughts confirmed. I know if the bleeding suddenly gets worse or Im suddenly in severe pain then to go to hospital but its not that bad compared to last time. Just have to see how i get on. Thanks for repling

Bakingtins Fri 11-Oct-13 07:31:19

Sorry you are facing this again Sprinkle I would tend to stay at home unless the pain or bleeding is becoming worrying. It is worth informing your GP and requesting a miscarriage is marked in your record, and I would do a test in a week or so to make sure it's negative and the miscarriage is complete.
Hope you were ok overnight. As you say, nothing anyone can do, you are saving yourself the hours of waiting and the poking and prodding by staying home.

SprinkleTwinkleMagic Thu 10-Oct-13 22:46:01

Im 5 1/2 weeks pregnant and for the past few days I've had a niggle in my right side, today i started bleeding bright red blood. I had a miscarrige in July and went to the hospital, they gave me a scan and took my blood and told me to go home (scan showed no baby) then went back a few days later to be told my hcg had halved and i was miscarrying.

I knew that by the pain and the blood so wasn't surprised. I was given painkillers and told to go home and take a pregnacy test in two weeks to make sure my hcg levels had gone down.

So now im miscarrying again is there any point going to the hospital? They cant help, and i have codeine at home, im just on the couch with a hot water bottle and a quilt. The paint isnt too bad but i know it will get worse in a while. I really dont see the point in going hospital and waiting for hours to be told to go home anyway. My partner wants me to go though just to be sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now