Nhs letters

(11 Posts)
Marrow Tue 15-Oct-13 20:20:45

So sorry this happened to you. Glad your husband was able to call for you. Hospitals really need to sort out their procedures so this doesn't happen.

I had emergency surgery for an ectopic pregnancy and was in hospital for a week on a surgical ward. I told them I had appointments booked and they reassured me they would be cancelled. On the fifth day I managed to get up for a shower. As I was getting dressed the ward clerk came and knocked on the door and told me that EPAU had phoned and I was to hurry as I was late for my scan hmmI felt I had managed to hold things together until that point but the floodgates opened after that. They had five days to update their records which I would have thought would be plenty of time. They had also tracked me down to the ward so you would have thought they may have questioned why I was there too.

Thatssofunny Tue 15-Oct-13 20:10:08

Sorry for your loss. It's horrible getting these stupid reminders.

I got one letter offering me a vaccination for pregnant women. Rang up the GP and reminded them that I wasn't actually pregnant anymore and that at least one of the two hospitals involved should really have informed them... Was promised that they'd sort it out and amend my details.
A few weeks later, I went to a GP appointment and was greeted with:
"Oh,...have you had the baby yet? Looks like it." shock hmm angry I was too shocked to smack her in the face at that point, and just calmly told her that no, actually, I miscarried in July. Thanks for asking, though. She was rather blush, apologized and rushed out to have the information changed properly. Seriously...hmm

SprinkleTwinkleMagic Sun 13-Oct-13 02:44:48

My son was 3 months premature and died a few hours after birth. Hopistal staff promised me they'd sort it out so my future appointments were cancelled. 3 days after I came home my midwife rang me and asked me why I hadn't been to the appointment! I was that shocked I just put the phone down and my partner rang her back up.

After a miscarrige in July I rang the midwife myself just to make sure it didnt happen again.

So sorry for your loss x

Chacha23 Sun 06-Oct-13 10:44:38

Oh kat, so sorry this happened to you too. Got the same letter, had to call the hospital to tell them I wasn't coming because I'd MCed.

And then I kept getting those bloody emails from babycentre or some other website every week, not their fault I guess but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to make them stop, I ended up having a full-blown panic attack in front of my computer and crying hysterically, thank god DH came in and calmly sorted it out.

firsttimekat Wed 02-Oct-13 22:06:19

Thanks all. DH rang up and sorted it, apparently they were very apologetic so hopefully that will sort it.

vladthedisorganised Wed 02-Oct-13 13:49:26

Oh kat, I feel for you, the same thing happened to me a while back and it was like a kick in the teeth.

I wrote to my PCT enclosing the letters and suggesting a full review should be carried out of their procedures. Got a short, generic apology and assurance that they'd amended their records - that was the last I heard from them. I figure if they have enough complaints in writing then they'll at least think about reviewing how they keep records.

thistlelicker Wed 02-Oct-13 13:39:47

This happened to,my friend she spoke to supervisor of midwives at her hospital and made a complaint!! Sorry your experiencing that

Forester Wed 02-Oct-13 13:37:44

This is very insensitive and shouldn't happen so you have every right to complain (or your DH on your behalf). You are not just being emotional.

firsttimekat Tue 01-Oct-13 21:36:43

Thanks (love the name btw), wanted to check I wasn't just having an emotional reaction. DH has said he will ring for me so I don't have to deal with it. Have to say he has been amazing through all this.

Bakingtins Tue 01-Oct-13 19:33:26

Sorry kat that must have been a real kick in the teeth. As you say, one mistake forgivable but not to have sorted it when you've already been upset and complained once....
I think I'd escalate it and insist on speaking to and getting an apology from the head of whatever dept is sending the letters. If that doesn't get you a grovelling apology I'd contact PALS.

firsttimekat Tue 01-Oct-13 19:13:39

Had my erpc on the 30th August and was really starting to feel better within myself. Today I got home to find a letter from the hospital inviting me to my next antenatal appointment. It really upset me and has brought all my feelings back to the surface.

When I had the erpc they promised that they would sort this all out, then a couple if weeks ago a letter arrived and I had to ring and tell them, understandable I thought probably already in the system but a second one has really upset me.

I'm going to have to ring up again, how can I stop this happening, I don't what letters until march to constantly remind me of what stage I should have been at. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now