MC - do you need to go to get checked out after MC?

(6 Posts)
squizita Fri 09-Aug-13 11:19:43

Yes, you MUST get checked out. It is national NHS policy. There are certain rare conditions (molars, heterotopics) which need a check up and at least a pee pregnancy test 2 weeks after to rule out.

My junior doc did not do this for me. It ended up with me needing ongoing treatment for months. To reassure you- my case was 1/600 rare, but best safe than sorry. Remind them of the protocol and why it is there! I would even feed back to the manager about this.

I didn't have a scan I was told to do a pregnancy test & if it was negative then all was fine.

ecosln Thu 08-Aug-13 20:53:26

thanks for your replies. will go in to the walk in on saturday morning. xx

Liskey Thu 08-Aug-13 20:46:52

I had a mc on Tuesday and had a scan yesterday to check everything had passed (which it hasn't) therefore waiting to see if everything does pass naturally - I've to go back in 2 weeks for a blood test to check that everything has gone (hormone's have gone I presume).

Vatta Thu 08-Aug-13 20:36:25

I think you are meant to have a scan even if you think everything has passed, just to check whether anything could be left inside. If it hasn't all come out, there's a risk of the remaining "products" causing an infection, which could affect a subsequent pregnancy.

As you're hoping for another baby, in your shoes I would ask for a check up/scan.

ecosln Thu 08-Aug-13 20:28:05

Hi

I started bleeding at t 8/9 weeks and the initial scan showed a sack but no 9 week sized baby. they said to go back 2 weeks later so they could check to see if their was a baby.

however a week later after lots of heavy bleeding i passed what i assume was a sack so i never went back as i knew i was not pregnant; this was my 3rd pregnancy and i am still b/f my son so all the nipple pain went, was no longer exhausted or felt sick.

I stopped bleeding 12 days after it started. that was 2 weeks ago. I have had no adverse symptoms. However i read somewhere that you should be looked at if you mc after 6 weeks? Really? or because the baby probably wasn't much over 6 weeks then i need not worry?

Should i just call the gp for a telephone chat tomorrow?

I just started thinking about it today as i would also like another baby - posted in bf thread about this.

Sorry to waste time - thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

ps: for all those reading this and suffering a loss. I often look at my son and think if he had been conceived a minute/ hour / day later, it would not be him and i am so glad he is who he is. I know you are hurting now and i hope you have a trouble free pregnancy and a healthy baby soon. take care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now