I think I am miscarrying

(119 Posts)
vix206 Sun 24-Mar-13 13:00:23

Just that really. Started brown spotting yesterday lunch time and have now started full on bleeding, just like a period. I was 6 weeks pregnant with DC2 on this Friday just gone.

I'm devastated and really frightened. Not in any physical pain yet but really worried about what this afternoon will bring.

Any support or advice would be gratefully accepted hmm

vix206 Wed 27-Mar-13 07:01:06

Thanks ncsmummy. I can see this being a horrid wait again as its Easter weekend so that'll delay it all. Also happens to be my 35th birthday on Sunday hmm

vix206 Wed 27-Mar-13 07:03:16

The torturous aspect is that it stops and starts. I expected a dramatic bleed where it would be obvious that I had miscarried without question. Instead I'm getting it in dribs and drabs, with enough hours in between to feel hopeful again. Although with the amount of red blood I saw yesterday my hope has all but gone.

vix206 Wed 27-Mar-13 07:13:05

Ps re-read a lot of this and feel like I haven't expressed enough gratitude for each and every one of you that has taken the time to reply to me. I really am grateful for all your help and I'm sorry that you're in a position to give it because this is a horrendous thing to experience.

ncsmummy Wed 27-Mar-13 07:13:22

Aww vix, def get yourself to the docs, mine sent me straight to hosp and even it being a sunday I was given my blood test and got the results a couple of hours later.
I know what you mean about the starting and stopping, it means you dont really know what is going on and it plays with your emotions. The 3 days I had from the bleeding and pains starting to the point where I knew for definite felt like an eternity and even though deep down I just knew what was happening I didnt truly believe it I believed it until I knew for certain.
I have everything crossed for you that all will be ok.

vix206 Wed 27-Mar-13 07:18:44

Thank you ncsmummy I will let you know how it goes. Yes, it's been the longest 4 days of my life and I really think I will feel a huge sense of relief (along with great sadness obviously) just to get some kind of confirmation.

Welovegrapes Wed 27-Mar-13 09:20:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mapal Wed 27-Mar-13 09:24:47

So sorry to hear what you're going through. I have had 2 miscarriages, one at 12 weeks and one at 10 weeks just a couple of months ago. It is a rough ride, I am thinking of you. xxx

vix206 Wed 27-Mar-13 09:55:19

I'm sorry to hear that Mapal hmm

Gp rang. Said same as midwife. May be miscarrying, may not. Before 7 weeks they won't scan. Wants me to do another test on Tuesday and until then bed rest as much as possible. I really feel deep down that its a lost cause though. I was hoping to get it sorted before my birthday on Sunday.

COCKadoodledooo Wed 27-Mar-13 10:50:49

Would a private scan be an option Vix?

I had a mc at just over 11 weeks last year. I phoned my GP pretty much at the first sign of blood on the Thursday afternoon. He called me straight in to see him and tried to reassure me. He booked the earliest scan he could (Monday morning, and he was really quite strident with them and gave them an utter bollocking for not seeing me sooner!).

I was told to go to a&e if the pain got bad or I passed any clots, otherwise just take it easy and see how things went. I did end up going in on the Friday night as I was terrified at the amount of blood I was losing (maxi pad every 45 mins or so). I started passing huge clots whilst there and my bp dropped to 80/39 as a result of blood loss. So glad I was in hospital at that point!

Just that 24 hour period of not knowing what was going on was hideous so I really feel for you sad It was actually a relief in a way when it all kicked off so drastically and I knew what was happening.

Another thought that occurs, along with some people experiencing bleeding in pregnancy as being normal for them, is whether you may have been carrying twins and have sadly lost one of them.

Rest up and ensure you're looked after. I'm really sorry you're going through this and am thinking of you.

vix206 Wed 27-Mar-13 11:01:40

Thank you cockadoodledoo. The twin thing had crossed my mind too.

I can't afford a private scan unfortunately hmm but I've gone into hermit mode anyway. I just want to hide away, so staying in bed and waiting works for me right now.

escorpion Wed 27-Mar-13 12:32:49

I agree with ncsmummy I am shocked they told you to just go home. I am so sorry you are going through this.

vix206 Wed 27-Mar-13 18:57:36

Been heavily bleeding bright red blood with clots since 5pm so I'm wallowing in the bath. Tbh at this point I feel relief more than anything. Today has been so tough and to feel like I have an answer to my question is a comfort somehow. The birthday cards that are coming through my door feel like a slap in the face for some reason. I just don't want to celebrate this weekend hmm

Bakingtins Wed 27-Mar-13 19:15:22

Hi Vix I'm so sorry you are going through this, but agree in many ways the uncertainty makes it worse. I don't think you necessarily need to seek medical treatment if you are coping at home. The guidance is if you have bleeding heavy enough to soak a maxi pad in an hour for any period of time, or any pain that you are finding yourself unable to cope with, then go either to A+E or to EPU if they have any out of hours provision (ours does through gynae ward). If the worst bit passes for you this evening, then do a pregnancy test at weekly intervals and ask for advice if you are still getting a BFP. For me it has taken 3 weeks to get a BFN, but they've monitored HCG after 2 weeks as this is a little unusual (at 8 weeks pregnant). I would suggest that you let your GP know what has happened and ask that it's put into your medical records, in case (god forbid) you are ever in the situation of facing this multiple times and wanting tests.
I had a very scary miscarriage at 10 weeks and ended up in hospital for heavy bleeding, then 2nd time I panicked a bit and went in, and wished I hadn't, as the poking and prodding just makes it worse. 3rd time I held my nerve and stayed at home and was fine. If in doubt - phone for advice, it can be a frightening and isolating experience. I hope since it's early on it will not be too bad physically, but everyone is different.
Postpone your birthday - celebrate another time if you don't feel up to it.

vix206 Wed 27-Mar-13 19:39:59

Thank you for the advice. I am pretty scared about the hours ahead. I had a big haemorrhage after DS was born and I'm scared I might suffer one overnight and nobody will know as DH is a heavy sleeper. Probably irrational and silly but you read so many horror stories about miscarrying confusedconfused

vix206 Wed 27-Mar-13 19:40:52

And I'm so sorry you've gone through this so many times hmm

vix206 Wed 27-Mar-13 20:48:19

I passed what appeared to be a totally empty sac about an hour ago. I'm hoping that's the worst of it over with now.

Bakingtins Wed 27-Mar-13 20:55:26

Hopefully you'll find the bleeding will settle now and you can get some sleep tonight. Take it easy, and if you are worried don't hesitate to contact someone, that's what they are there for.

Welovegrapes Wed 27-Mar-13 21:07:43

xigris Wed 27-Mar-13 21:26:22

Ah, so sorry vix. flowersbrew.

vix206 Wed 27-Mar-13 21:39:26

Thank you everyone. I'm probably numb because I just feel relieved. I'm sure it will hit me at some point. So grateful for your support and I hope to be able to help others now too. hmm

vix206 Thu 28-Mar-13 08:07:58

Today I feel like someone has ripped my heart out.

ncsmummy Thu 28-Mar-13 08:10:59

Vix I am so sorry to hear that. I am shocked that your gp was so unhelpful, I thought they would have reffered you.

I hope the bleeding settled down for you, its quite scary at the heaviest point. I was told to take a preg test after a week and if it was still positive the they wanted to see me again to monitor my hormone levels.
Take care of yourself, hugs xx

so sorry for you, I mc at home early January, really thought we were going to be ok as we'd seen a heartbeat but it wasn't to be. Take time for yourself now, cry if you want to, get angry to if it helps and don't rush back to work. x

Welovegrapes Thu 28-Mar-13 08:30:09

vix206 Thu 28-Mar-13 08:35:39

Thank you. I'm feeling lonely because DH is having to care for DS (2.7). I'm hiding away upstairs very upset because I don't want DS to see me crying. I tried to get up and be with them but I just feel too sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now