I think I am miscarrying

(119 Posts)
vix206 Sun 24-Mar-13 13:00:23

Just that really. Started brown spotting yesterday lunch time and have now started full on bleeding, just like a period. I was 6 weeks pregnant with DC2 on this Friday just gone.

I'm devastated and really frightened. Not in any physical pain yet but really worried about what this afternoon will bring.

Any support or advice would be gratefully accepted hmm

vix206 Mon 25-Mar-13 15:36:24

Thank you

Welovegrapes Mon 25-Mar-13 15:53:15

Hoping all will be ok now Vix.

x

Bakingtins Mon 25-Mar-13 19:30:09

Hoping it is all ok - take it easy.

xigris Mon 25-Mar-13 19:33:37

Keeping everything crossed for you. Best of luck! flowers

vix206 Mon 25-Mar-13 20:17:31

Thanks all. I will update one way or another.

ncsmummy Tue 26-Mar-13 07:24:52

Will keep everything crossed for you

Fingers crossed op flowers

vix206 Tue 26-Mar-13 17:50:33

Very heavy bleeding since lunch time today so I'm as sure as I can be that it's a miscarriage. Thanks everyone for the support.

Thinking of you vix, unmumsnetty hugs x

Welovegrapes Tue 26-Mar-13 19:25:08

Oh Vix I am so sorry sad

Please use us for handholding, advice, or anything else you need.

xx

vix206 Tue 26-Mar-13 19:54:55

Thank you. I'm unsure about whether I should be seeing a doctor at any point. Do they need to check to see if everything has passed at any stage? Haven't seen any clots yet just lots of period type blood. Everyone I know in RL has had to have an op rather than having a 'natural' miscarriage. hmm I'm quite happy to let nature take its course with the minimum fuss but at the same time would feel safer if someone medical checked me over at some point. If that makes sense.

Welovegrapes Tue 26-Mar-13 19:59:25

I think I would want to have a scan really to see the mc was complete, as there is a risk of infection otherwise. If you call the mw tomorrow morning she should be able to advise.

Really sorry you are going through this sad

vix206 Tue 26-Mar-13 20:04:00

My me has told me that unless I am in lots of pain or am experiencing unmanageable bleeding I should not seek medical attention from her, GP or hospital. I asked for referral to EPU and she refused. So maybe bypass her tomorrow and go to GP?

Welovegrapes Tue 26-Mar-13 20:09:49

She sounds unhelpful sad did she say why?

I would go to gp, say you are in pain and think you are mc and ask to go to epu for a scan.

I think with a natural mc you really want the scan after the bleeding has stopped, though I know not all hospitals offer that.

A private scan would be another option - would be approx £125 in London iirc, less elsewhere.

Schooldidi Tue 26-Mar-13 20:42:53

At such an early stage it may be that there wouldn't be anything to see on a scan. I know the epu at my local hospital don't do scans before 7 weeks, not because they are heartless, but because there really isn't anything big enough to see clearly.

You don't have to have a scan after a mc, you don't ahve to have any medical people look at you at all. I was advised to take another pg test about 7-10 days after the mc and if it was negative then the mc was complete, if positive then I needed to go in and see someone.

Personally, I was offered a scan but didn't bother. I just wanted it to be over and I most definitely didn't want to be hanging around a hospital waiting room with obviously pregnant women (not all epus share a waiting room with the antenatal scans but ours does). Nobody medical has checked me at all since mine happened and that's almost a year now.

If you feel ill in any way then you need to see someone in case it is an infection.

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this sad

vix206 Tue 26-Mar-13 20:48:19

She just said it was a cost issue sad

I suppose I just want to know everything is ok afterwards but if the answer is to POAS then I can do that.

escorpion Tue 26-Mar-13 21:04:15

So sorry you are going through this vix the worst part for me was the uncertainty of what would happen, I couldn´t even sleep. I had surgery in the end and was glad when it was over (obviously still upset of course). I am abroad, so have private medical insurance which means I was offered surgery straight away. Were you not given any options?? I hope all goes as best as it can for you. x

Schooldidi Tue 26-Mar-13 21:49:03

Cost is a huge issue with scans. Ideally they would do whatever you wanted them to do but if the budget is tight it makes more sense to scan women who are having problems with a more established pregnancy. At this early stage the majority of women manage perfectly well at home and don't really need any medical intervention. Before pg tests became widely available you probably wouldn't have even known you were pg, it would just have been a wierdly late period.
Stay at home, rest, be comfortable. Take as much help as you can get from anybody willing to do it.

vix206 Wed 27-Mar-13 01:46:17

No I wasn't given options just told to see what happens and go to A&E if it became unbearable. Having strong contraction pains now which is why I'm awake. hmm

vix206 Wed 27-Mar-13 01:48:57

And I know what you mean schooldidi, my mum says the same about the late period thing but the thing is I have been pregnant before and we were trying. I knew I was pregnant before I took a test, I still felt very pregnant yesterday and this is nothing like a period it's so painful hmm

Just want it over with now.

EMUZ Wed 27-Mar-13 01:56:26

I'm sorry thanks
Offering a hand to hold

cher31 Wed 27-Mar-13 02:18:07

Hope your coping with the pain. I suggest
that you phone epu tomorrow. It's good to have the pregnancy confirmed even if it fails. You will still show a positive if you POAS due to hormones still being in your body.
Sorry you're going through this. I've had a natural miscarriage at 10 weeks and am happy to answer any questions.
Take care and stay warm

vix206 Wed 27-Mar-13 06:32:21

Thanks all. It's hard to know what stage I'm at as I've only passed small amounts of blood so far. No clots or tissue. It's like an intermittent period coming in fits and starts. EPU won't take me without gp referral so I think I will call dr.
Pain subsided overnight but surely at some point soon must come back if I'm to progress with this?

ncsmummy Wed 27-Mar-13 06:36:37

I am so so sorry Vix sad I hope you are not in too much physical pain.
I went via the emergency docs when I started bleeding and got sent to the hospital where they did a hcg blood count, then they had me back 2 days later for a scan and another blood test which confirmed that I was m/c. I was told to wait 7 days and poas and if it was pos then they would have to see me again.
Take care flowers

ncsmummy Wed 27-Mar-13 06:41:02

I think the doc should refer you to see whats going on one way or another hun, x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now