PG after ectopic - 6 week scan

(10 Posts)
SaggyOldClothCatpuss Sat 09-Mar-13 23:27:55

I think possibly, they haven't taken bloods because blood results aren't definitive. A scan generally is, and you are booked for one on friday, so taking bloods could potentially just confuse the issue in the mean time. Also blood tests presumably are paid for out the surgeries budget. By passing you over to EPAU they are saving those costs.
None of which helps you at all sadly. sad
My recent MC was presumed to be ectopic and I can totally relate to your worries. When if I become PG again I will feel exactly the same. I just hope that a confirmed non ectopic will stop me worrying. Im not convinced it will entirely, but it is definitely a start. If you dont have any symptoms of ectopic by now, that is a GOOD sign.
I have my fingers crossed for you. x

nectarini1983 Sat 09-Mar-13 21:04:48

Im very surprised you weren't sent for bloods though given that epu had me up there as soon as got a positive test result. Suppose everywhere does things differently? Since my ectopic I just self refer straight to epu now and dont go to my gp til I need to register with my midwife again. If you're uneasy waiting then speak up...the only way to get anywhere with the nhs!

Becky2007 Sat 09-Mar-13 20:53:35

Went to doctors Monday and all he has done is book me for a scan at 6 weeks, I did wonder about that because with the previous ectopic I spent days in and out of hospital having blood tests for the hcg levels. But not offered anything this time, although he did ask if I had any pains or bleeding which I haven't so I suppose they don't really put into consideration the anxiety it causes. Only got a week to go and already done a week so I just have to stay positive for this little one and hope for the best!

Becky2007 Sat 09-Mar-13 20:46:04

Thanks, gives me a bit of a relief to know when ectopic's start to show so I can relax a little bit more smile

nectarini1983 Sat 09-Mar-13 20:41:55

Have they been doing bloody tests to check your hcg levels increasing properly? If not maybe call your local epu and ask. They should be open weekends and would give some indication if something wasn't adding up if you're that anxious about another ectopic.

nectarini1983 Sat 09-Mar-13 20:38:26

I think my ectopic was dated at around 6 weeks when it ruptured. Obviously there's not much room to grow in a tube so they don't tend to progress too far. Hopefully once youve had the scan confirming babys in the uterus then that's the first and biggest hurdle crossed and you can just go on from there x

Becky2007 Sat 09-Mar-13 20:13:21

Thank you for the messages, after having the tube removed they never really told me how far along I was. I have no pain or bleeding so that is some relief for me. But i know the scan next week will help my faith in this pregnancy once I know it is in the right place. I already have a 17 and 7 year old and had perfectly normal pregnancies, just have my doubts now with what happened last year as it was very traumatic for me and my partner who is supportive but obviously his concerns are about me being ok as the tube ruptured and I had internal bleeding so lucky to still be here....just appreciate other women's thoughts and experience to know that I am not alone xx

nectarini1983 Sat 09-Mar-13 19:20:06

Hiya.

I had an ectopic and tube removed in February 2009 and then fell pregnant again the same month with my daughter who's now 3.

Ive had early blood tests and scans for all pregnancies since the ectopic (My daughter as mentioned above, son born March 12 and baby boy I lost at 17 weeks pregnant in Jan 13) For me the 6 week scan should show gestation sac and fetal pole and normally 8 week scan should show little heart flicker.

Until my last pregnancy I always relaxed slightly after I saw the baby's heart beating. I don't think I'd be able to relax and enjoy a pregnancy again now after what happened until baby was in my arms.

But in relative terms once you see that little heart flickering, and you know baby's in the right place, your faith in the pregnancy should grow as each week passes and hopefully you'll be able to relax and enjoy it at some point... even if its just retrospectively! Its only 9 months and then the fun really starts....

All the best x

schobe Sat 09-Mar-13 18:49:49

I think ectopic pain generally starts at around the 5/6 week mark though obviously it varies a bit from case to case. Some people have bleeding prior to that as well I think.

Before realising I had an ectopic pg, I had shooting pains on that (left) side and a lack of period-type cramping pains that you might normally expect in the uterus. Didn't think much of it at the time but then it turned out to be ectopic. Sorry you experienced it too, it's absolutely awful.

At the 6 week scan, they should definitely be able to tell you if the pregnancy is in the right place this time - possibly even a heartbeat if your dates are spot on. All you have to do is hang on a few more days and you should be reassured it's not ectopic again - which is pretty unlikely, so fingers crossed for you.

Becky2007 Sat 09-Mar-13 18:37:28

Just wanting some common ground, had ectopic pregnancy last May and had left tube removed. Just found out last weekend that I am pregnant again, suddenly felt quite scared and concerned rather than the normal excitement you get?! Attended doctor on Monday and have 6 week scan booked for next Friday 15th, what should I expect as I don't have the pain or bleeding I had last time but don't know how far along I was to know when to expect it again? Do you re-gain the excitement after an all clear scan as really disappointed that I can't feel like getting excited as was so devastated to lose the baby last year....has anyone else felt like this??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now