I think I may be having an early miscarriage

(13 Posts)
Jollyb Wed 02-Jan-13 10:48:18

Hi there I would take a pregnancy test and if it comes out positive I think you need to see someone as your left sided pain could be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy.

If you are away from home your options are self referring to the local early pregnancy unit, a&e, or signing up to a GP as a temporary resident and getting a referral that way .

Hope you feel better soon.

fourbears Wed 02-Jan-13 10:07:26

How are you doing OP?

fourbears Sun 30-Dec-12 17:54:34

That's a good idea to tell your best friend. Us girls need company when this kind of thing happens. Maybe phone her tonight for some moral support. Glad the pain is being controlled at the moment.

I don't know about taking a test. Would it be helpful to you to know for sure this isn't 'just' a late period or would it distress you more? Only you can know. I imagine a doctor would assume you had been pregnant if you needed a scan.

Take care of yourself and have a good cry when you need it. You've been through a tough time. Keep talking here if it helps ((()))

Sucksoutthejoy Sun 30-Dec-12 15:25:05

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I'm ok, had more pain relief, have some left sided pain but just a niggle. Very little bleeding. I'm with my parents just don't want to tell them what's going on. Would think just a period if not for the pain and tissuey material I saw earlier. As I don't even know if I am/ was pregnant should I do a test? I'm a woman in her 30s and have no idea what to do. Going to see my best friend tomorrow so may tell her if still in pain/bleeding. Feeling very tearful all of a sudden.

fourbears Sun 30-Dec-12 14:15:05

Hi OP how are you doing now? Thinking of you x

No advice, other than to second fourbears excellent advice ^ and to send very unmnetty ((())) and hand holding in what must be a horrible and isolating experience.

fourbears Sun 30-Dec-12 09:38:23

I've just read the NHS pages on miscarriage. (link on the right of the page) I would urge you to get some medical advice as I've realised just how little I know. Please don't worry about other people knowing. Your health is so important.

fourbears Sun 30-Dec-12 09:29:31

Oh you poor love. What a time for it to happen. Certainly just letting nature take its course is possible and I'm sure women do that all the time but I'm worried for you going through this alone with no one else knowing. Is there a nice women there who you could take into your confidence? It might be worth finding a phone number for a doctor so you can have a chat just for reassurance even if you don't go to see them. How are you doing now?

Sucksoutthejoy Sun 30-Dec-12 09:15:17

Thank you so much. So I only need to see doctor if bad pain or heavy bleeding? I'm 10,000 miles from home for Christmas (although in UK) and would just like nature to take its course if possible as don't want anyone to know :-( Could only have conceived 3 weeks ago.....

fourbears Sun 30-Dec-12 09:10:30

You poor thing. I'm sure you are in shock. That's sounding more 'normal' but I think you still need to see a doctor. I've had a miscarriage but it was dealt with surgically so haven't experienced what you're going through with the bleeding etc. You may need a scan afterwards to make sure everything has gone. You need to go to hospital if the bleeding is very heavy or the pain escalates. Emotionally, I found it very hard and cried so much. Sending ((()))

Sucksoutthejoy Sun 30-Dec-12 08:49:01

Thank you fourbears. The pain has now eased and I am bleeding intermittently, there is some tissuey looking stuff too. I'm in shock I think. Been to buy some pads for bleeding.

fourbears Sun 30-Dec-12 07:51:52

I'm no expert at all but the brown discharge rang a worrying bell. Don't want to alarm you but I think that's one of the symptoms of ectopic pregnancy. Please see a doctor urgently. You sound like you're in a lot of pain. If you're in the UK, contact the Out of Hours service or what I would be tempted to do is ring the Early Pregnancy Unit of your local hospital and tell them your symptoms and mention ectopic pregnancy. Take good care of yourself and don't be fobbed off. ((()))

Sucksoutthejoy Sun 30-Dec-12 07:32:03

I'm not even sure I'm pregnant but period at least 3 weeks late which is unheard of. Woken up by strong cramping on lower belly and front of pubic area. Dont usually get any period pain so feels awful as not usual. Can't lie still. No blood but had brown discharge last 2 days. Taken some ibuprofen. Do I just ride it out or should I see doctor? Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now