Can stress cause miscarriage?

(7 Posts)
GuppieK Mon 26-Nov-12 11:00:28

The subject says it all really. I've had three early miscarriages this year and have been found to have Factor V Leiden. But I have a nagging worry (ironically!) that my stress levels could be related to the problems I've had.

I've always been a worrier. I had a stressful childhood (without wanting to sound too dramatic!) and my parents suffer from anxiety so I suppose it's all led to me being a pretty sensitive individual. I've taken medication on and off, but am obviously reluctant to take anything while I'm trying to conceive. At the same time, I'm going through a stressful period - which the miscarriages are contributing to - and I feel pretty tense at the moment.

I've started yoga and meditation and am trying to do lots of exercise. I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow so will ask them about this. As with it seems everything related to miscarriage, I've found studies that say stress is related to early miscarriage and studies that say it isn't!

Geekster Mon 26-Nov-12 12:00:39

I'm no expert but I don't think stress alone causes miscarriages, especially in your case as they have found a physical reason for your miscarriages. Finding out you are pregnant is stressful, even if you desperately want to be, if you have had repeated miscarriages it's even more so. I can completely understand your reaction to miscarriages I was the same. Some of it is you can't control what is happening when you are pregnant, you can't see or feel it in the early weeks. Telling you not to worry would be daft because you can't help it. I was very anxious and stressed every time I was pregnant and it got worse after each miscarriage.

Speak to your doctor see what they say, but remember the miscarriages are not your fault it wasn't anything you did or didn't do.

I wish you the best of luck xx

GuppieK Mon 26-Nov-12 16:21:24

Thanks for your nice reply Geekster. It's so difficult isn't it? I can see how easy it would to think that how I am is causing the miscarriages, which in turn is going to make me even more stressed if I get pregnant again.

How many mcs have you had if you don't mind me asking? Do you have any children? We've just started trying to conceive again the last 2 months, now the test results are all back. Period is due tomorrow so keeping everything crossed at them moment..!

Geekster Mon 26-Nov-12 16:44:49

Hi GuppieK. I had six miscarriages. Then the seventh time was lucky and we had our lovely daughter in March this year. So good things do happen and if its any reassurance I was stressed out through the entire pregnancy and she turned out fine and is a happy easy going baby.

nananaps Mon 26-Nov-12 16:49:22

Na definitely not!

Otherwise i would not be 30 weeks pregnant right now after 7 miscarriages because i was on the cieling with stress from the moment i got my positive test...is an understatement!

So no, i would say its always a physical cause for miscarriage.

MistressIggi Thu 29-Nov-12 23:10:20

I agree with nananaps, the most stressful pregnancy I had was my 6th one, which resulted in dc2. I could not have worried more I don't think. Women can have babies in all sorts of horrible conditions, and women who are unhappily pregnant for example don't manage to miscarry from worry about being pregnant. It's great that a cause/factor has been found for you - what is the treatment for that?

seeker Thu 29-Nov-12 23:13:10

Absolutely not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now