MC - what comes first, blood or pain?

(19 Posts)
Skinnydecafflatte Tue 06-Nov-12 18:50:24

Hi just checking back in. Well scan today showed pregnancy had gone so I did mc naturally. Very weird as almost completely pain free which I was not expecting. Also not as much blood as I thought there would be. No need for an erpc which I guess is a good thing.

Well time to get back to 'normal' I suppose, roll on Saturday when we go on holiday. Thanks for all your help and advice. Fingers crossed for healthy pregnancy's soon for us all.

Ostrich78 Tue 06-Nov-12 15:58:15

Hi skinny,
I hope you're ok. And I hope tomorrow goes as well as it can for you.
Take care of yourself
xx

lotsofcheese Thu 01-Nov-12 17:55:37

I've had 2 m/c & required ERCP for both - I only ever had slight spotting & no pain.

I would not consider going back to work so soon; agree with what MrsDevere has said re: recovery & time off. I realise everyone is different, but you will need 48 hours after surgery to recover physically. And then there's the emotional side of things.

I'm sorry you're going through this; miscarriages are just crap.

MrsJohnDeere Wed 31-Oct-12 08:33:07

Sorry you are going through this.

I really don't think you should be back at work the day after an ERPC. I had one 12 days ago and honestly wouldn't have been physically up to working for the first week (let alone the emotional side of things). The anaesthesia is in your system for 48 hours afterwards, and you aren't allowed to drive, and I felt really spaced out for those first 48 hours. It was a struggle to do the day to day minimum.

I'm a SAHM so it is irrelevant, but the doctor who did mine said that he would advise someone who worked to take 2 weeks off afterwards.

Ostrich78 Wed 31-Oct-12 08:26:01

Hi skinny,
Yes erpc is the same as a d&c.
With my last mc I had been bleeding lightly from the Monday and had been going to work as normal. Thursday morning I got to work and I started to pass clots, luckily it was early in the morning so not many people around was a bit teary as you can imagine. My boss was great, insisted on getting me a cab to my local hospital. Company policy apparently. I've had 3 erpc and have been physically fine straight away - no pain after surgery, everyone is different you'll just have to see how you feel x obviously the emotional side took slightly longer! Really sorry that you're going through this x Take care of yourself xxxx

teaandchocolate Wed 31-Oct-12 08:23:27

Sorry you're going through this, it's really horrible. I've had 2 mmc and also one natural mc and like others have said they're all different (unhelpful I know!). My mmc had no pain & no blood and I had to erpcs (same as d&c) and I went back to work after a couple of days. I wouldn't have gone in the next day mainly because of the emotional trauma but also because you don't know how you'll feel from the anaesthetic. Could you work from home? To be honest mine were both fine but I found the 1st mc particularly difficult to deal with and couldn't face work.

My natural mc was at 7.5 weeks & not very painful at all - just like period pain and bleeding like a heavy period. I was 'lucky' in that sense as I've read on here that others have very different and much more painful experiences. If you do go in definitely take painkillers - you can take co-codomol/paracetomol & codeine as well as ibuprofen & also feminax now do an extra strong ibuprofen which is amazing for cramps and you can get over the counter (& can also take with cocodomol). Can you work from home at all?

Skinnydecafflatte Wed 31-Oct-12 07:55:16

Thanks guys for your advice. I'm actually on 2 weeks holiday from next friday which seems like it will fall at a good time to get my head round things. I'm not too worried about missing work but because I will be off for those 2 weeks Ive got a few things I need to get done before. If it does not happen naturally this will feel like the longest week ever.
Sorry to be thick, Is an erpc, the same as a d&c?

maillotjaune Wed 31-Oct-12 07:34:28

Sorrysad

I had one mc at 6 weeks - was incredibly painful for a few hours then like a heavy period. A few years later a mmc at about 12 weeks didn't hurt at all. Had to have surgical treatment as I hardly bled either.

So - it depends and if you need distraction then work sounds like a good idea. I would expect to be off Thurs and possibly Fri too. I think they tell you to rest for 24 hours after the anaesthetic.

Daisybell1 Wed 31-Oct-12 07:29:35

Skinny, I also had an erpc in July. I couldn't have worked the day after, not because of pain but because my head was too wooly to drive. In fact I didn't feel safe driving for a week. Could you work from home if you must, but maybe from Monday onwards?

AngryBeaver Wed 31-Oct-12 07:20:55

Also it sounds as though people experience different levels of pain, so you might get lucky and be ok with paracetamol, therefore able to continue with "sensible work"

AngryBeaver Wed 31-Oct-12 07:19:35

Codeine will probably do it. I would say that's sensible go in if you feel ok and you want to minimize the length of time you have to take off. Take loads of pads with you.
...And yes, it sucks ass

Skinnydecafflatte Wed 31-Oct-12 07:13:13

Thanks guys. I think I am going in but will leave as soon as I feel I need to. Have some kick ass codeine so if paracetamol does not work I have those, only thing is they make me high as a kite so no way I would do any sensible work.
Sorry that you are all going through it too, sucks doesn't it?

AngryBeaver Wed 31-Oct-12 07:11:19

skinny I don't think you'd be back in for Thurs, I had a ERPC in Sept, and was in quite a bit of pain for a few days. Also, mentally/emotionally, I was pretty fucked up, and needed some time to absorb things.

damnitdamnit Wed 31-Oct-12 07:07:32

I had no pain just blood getting worse and worse over a few days. I stayed at home but could have worked to be honest.

AngryBeaver Wed 31-Oct-12 07:06:39

I am in the middle of a mc. It started yesterday. Blood came first, then pain, pretty bad. Paracetamol doen't touch it.
Sorry that you're going through this too. Sorry for us all x

Skinnydecafflatte Wed 31-Oct-12 07:03:54

Oh daisy sorry to hear that. Do you have any pain?
I would say for you stay home and see. It may help for your peace of mind to rest.
I am only thinking of going as I was at the hospital all day yesterday so already missed a day and I know if it does not happen will need a couple of days or so next week for the scan and op. btw does anybody know what the recovery time is, I am booked in for Wednesday, would I be black at work Thursday?
Let us know how you get on daisy.

MortimersRaven Wed 31-Oct-12 07:03:02

Mine was pain first. The pain was terrible and lasted about 2 hours before the only thing I could think to do was get in the shower and that's when the blood started.

Are you sure you really want to go to work? I did that day but was very upset - and was lucky it had happened early morning, I wouldn't have coped well if it happened at work.

Hugs x

Daisybell1 Wed 31-Oct-12 06:54:39

Massive hugs skinny, I'm so sorry. I'm afraid I can't help but I'm looking for some advice too. I'm 5+3 max but have started bleeding and so am also wondering whether to head for work. My travel times are similar to yours.

Hopefully someone useful will be along soon to advise us, but until then I'm with you. (hug)

Skinnydecafflatte Wed 31-Oct-12 06:42:33

Hi
Long and short of it is I had a scan yesterday and I meant to be 8+3 but it does not look viable, looks like a mmc. I went as I had some bleeding but no pain. I've been told that I am likely to mc soon but if not I am booked in for a D&C next Wednesday.
So there is a little bit of fresh blood now but still no pain. Basically I need to know whether to head off for work. I can't stay off for the next week on the basis of 'maybe' and I'd rather take my mind off things.

I did have one at five weeks but that was five years ago and I think I had pain first but I can't remember. Also if it is pain then blood can you remember how quickly it happened. It will take me about an hour to get home. I will be wearing a pad and have spares with me as we'll as painkillers.
Thanks in advance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now