false positive after miscarriage??

(10 Posts)
nearlyreadytopop Fri 26-Oct-12 13:26:58

I had a miscarriage at the beginning of August. 8 weeks later I had a light period (lasted a week). That was 2 weeks ago. Today a pee stick is telling me im pregnant. Trying very hard not to get excited, its a false positive isnt it? If anything its too soon after my last period for it to be positive, but it was an immediate very strong/clear result. Does it take this long for hormones to settle? confused

messtins Fri 26-Oct-12 14:03:27

Have you had a negative test at any point since your miscarriage? Depending how far on you were it seems a very long time after to get a false positive. My HCG levels/HPT results were monitored after MC to make sure they went back to zero, which took 3 weeks after MC at 8+ wks pregnant.
Is it possible you ovulated at some time in the 8 weeks you were waiting for a bleed and your "light period" wasn't a period at all? I agree it's too soon after the period for you to have ovulated and be enough DPO to get a positive.
I'd be straight down the shops to get a clear blue digi test and then on the phone to the EPU to get a scan! Hope it is good news for you.

nearlyreadytopop Fri 26-Oct-12 17:19:54

I didnt do a test afterwards. Have pcos so really hard for me to get pregnant. Did another Clearblue week predictor says 4-5 weeks (Gp dates). ???

nearlyreadytopop Sat 27-Oct-12 16:48:24

Last messege was from phone so didnt make much sense. Thanks for replying Messtins, no I didnt do a test after the miscarriage.
I did a clearblue digi this morning and it says 3+ weeks or 5+ from GP dates. Which would mean I conceived before what I thought was a period. So confusing.
The local EPU isnt open at the weekend so I will have to wait for Monday morning. Have had some more bleeding todaysad

messtins Sat 27-Oct-12 19:32:45

Very difficult to work out what is happening in the cycle immediately after a MC but think it is more likely that you have conceived again and that the bleed wasn't a period (implantation?). If you still had a strong positive test 10 weeks post MC then that would be cause for concern so I think either way you need a scan to see what is going on. I will keep FX that there is a little bean in there and that this one is sticky.

nearlyreadytopop Fri 09-Nov-12 19:04:28

just to update- 7weeks pregnant!! a major lovely amazing surprise. And today, a little heartbeat grin have to keep everything crossed that it sticks. EPC think that 'period' was actually attachment bleed.

lotsofcheese Fri 09-Nov-12 20:51:31

Congratulations! That's lovely news!

whiterose2011 Fri 09-Nov-12 21:34:01

How lovely! Many congratulations. You must be delighted. Xxx

CheckItOutFartShoes Thu 15-Nov-12 09:39:46

Awwwh!! It is so nice to hear some lovely news! Congratulations xx

messtins Sun 18-Nov-12 18:43:22

So pleased! [smug emoticon] I hope your surprise bean is very sticky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now