5+6 scan after recurrent MC - seen sac and yolk but no fetal pole and heartbeat - is there still hope?

(17 Posts)
orangeone Fri 05-Oct-12 17:03:05

Hi ladies,
Just needing some reassurance or reality really. As the title suggests I'm 5+6 on 6th pregnancy (1 MMC at 13 weeks, 2 EP including one rupture and 1 early MC at 5 weeks. Have 1 miracle DD through IVF now aged 2.4).
Early scan today showed sac about 5-6 weeks and yolk but no fetal pole or heartbeat. Pretty sure I OV on day 16 as have PCOS but take metformin so am pretty regular. Could I just be out date wise or should I have seen a heart beat today?
The EPAU were very non committal and just want me to go back in 7 days. No sign of MC and feeling nauseous and tired still. However taking progesteone, which can delay a MC.
Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be keeping positive or preparing for the worst again?
Thanks, Orange x

bonzo77 Fri 05-Oct-12 17:10:59

So sorry for your losses. 5+6 is too early to guarantee a heart beat, but good to check the pg is intra uterine. After much discussion with my EPU I had my first scan at 7 weeks, to allow for the possibility of dates being out.

orangeone Fri 05-Oct-12 23:08:54

Thanks for replying Bonzo - I had wondered why they wanted me in so early but the appointment was via the recurrent MC clinic and maybe they wanted to check the location of the PG, given my history, rather than necessarily the viability. Still a bit nervous but hoping dates just out..... Has this happened to anyone else?

artifarti Sat 06-Oct-12 13:45:44

orange, what a lot you have had to go through, so sorry. I had a scan for DS1 at 6+3 where there was just a sac and nothing else but it all turned out okay so it can definitely happen. I have had that 7 day wait a couple of times and it's hellish, so look after yourself and fingers crossed there's a hb next time you go.

willitbe Sun 07-Oct-12 18:33:31

With my second pregnancy, I went at 7+3 weeks and they saw a small sac and could see nothing in it. I was certain of my dates and so concerned. But 10 days later there was baby, right size for dates etc. Early scans can measure 2 weeks behind (with a tilted uterus which is common). Hospital close to us will not do scans before 8 weeks (unless suspected EP) for exactly the reason that it can cause more stress than it helps.

So please really try not to worry yet. It is great news that the sac is in the right place.

MummytoKatie Sun 07-Oct-12 23:24:28

Hi Orangeone. Due to bleeding I had an early scan on Thursday with a sac and yolk but no pole or pulse either. sad

I was somewhere between 5+5 and 6+6 then. (Very short cycles & dd's due date was moved by 8 days at the 12 week scan.)

For me they did measurements as well. Did they do that for you. From what they said (and I have obsessively googled) if the average is 25mm ormore andno heartbeat then it is lost. Mine was 24 so there is still hope although not a lot I think.

I have to go back in two weeks. 4 days down, 10 to go - just trying to get through it.

Fingers crossed for us both.

orangeone Mon 08-Oct-12 20:38:32

Hi ladies- thanks for your messages of hope. I am hanging in there. 6+2 and no sign of mc. Just counting days till Friday.
Hope it's good news for you too mummytokatie (they didn't tell me my sac measurements - all very vague TBH!!).
Will keep you all posted.

MummytoKatie Fri 12-Oct-12 07:55:36

Hey Orangeone,

Just wanted to say good luck for today. I'll be thinking of you.

artifarti Fri 12-Oct-12 09:04:02

Good luck for today. Let us know how you get on. xx

orangeone Fri 12-Oct-12 18:24:01

Thank you ladies for all your kind words and thoughts today.
After a 3 hour wait for a scan, finally saw a heartbeat. I'm just measuring a few days behind where I thought I was due to OV late. Still in shock that finally been to the EPAU and had good news although know there's a long way to go yet. Just so happy over the first hurdle!!!....
Thank you again for keeping me sane over the last 7 days, which have been the longest ever!!!!

48Hours Fri 12-Oct-12 18:26:54

That is lovely news orangeone, wishing you a very uneventful pregnancy! Lots of best wishes x

MummytoKatie Fri 12-Oct-12 21:39:28

Congratulations! That's great news. I'll let you know how I get on on Thursday.

artifarti Fri 12-Oct-12 21:51:51

Hurray, lovely news, so pleased for you smile Good luck MummytoKatie.

orangeone Fri 12-Oct-12 21:56:25

Thanks ladies. Good luck on thursday mummytokatie. Orange x

messtins Sun 14-Oct-12 16:28:17

Congratulations orangeone. Hope you have a very uneventful pregnancy!

MummytoKatie Fri 19-Oct-12 14:44:45

Just to add to the joy. grin

I had my scan yesterday and they found a baby with a heartbeat. We are so relieved / happy. I have a picture of my little blob and everything smile

orangeone Fri 19-Oct-12 17:01:29

Hi all.
Great news mummy toKatie on your scan.
Update here: had another scan today (they are monitoring me alot due to my history) and baby growing fine. Still measuring 3 days behind my LMP but it's hardly an exact science at this early stage apparently. Saw heartbeat again and baby starting to look like a baby.... Trying not to get too excited but looking good so far, so very relieved!!
Ox

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now