Extreme fatigue weeks after early miscarriage - anyone else?

(13 Posts)
HJBeans Thu 14-Jun-12 10:18:10

I had my second early mc (6 weeks) nearly two weeks ago and everything passed naturally without much pain or bleeding. Had a follow up scan to be sure the mc was complete the next day. I was travelling at the time, so couldn't really rest much, but felt ok if a bit drained. Went back to work three days later when I got back to the UK, but have since been in and out due to increasingly severe fatigue / dizziness.

Has anyone else felt absolutely flattened by fatigue nearly two weeks after an uncomplicated early miscarriage?

Had a screen for UTIs at the GPs which came back positive for white blood cells, but need to wait a week to see if there is an infection - have had no fever or pain as you'd expect for kidney / bladder infection. Clutching at straws, but want an explanation / cure for this utter exhaustion.

Finding it much more depressing dealing with the mc while sitting in bed feeling unwell, and just want to get back to work / friends / etc.

HJBeans Thu 14-Jun-12 10:19:11

And should add I didn't have a bit of this with my first mc at ~5 weeks, so more concerned that something else is wrong.

BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Thu 14-Jun-12 13:20:12

Hi, sorry to hear you are feeling like this and definitely a good idea to get checked out at the doctors in case there is an infection lurking. Do you think you could be low on iron?

I miscarried at 7 weeks and it took approximately a week to 10 days from the first signs things were going wrong until I had completely stopped bleeding. The week following that I was completely and absolutely wiped out. I have never felt so exhausted in my whole life.

I vaugely remember reading somewhere (could have been the Miscarriage Association website) that exhaustion isn't uncommon after a miscarriage. Sometimes I think it can partly be psychological/emotional response too.

I hope your energy levels soon start to lift.

birdofthenorth Thu 14-Jun-12 15:11:29

Same here, after one at 12 weeks in Nov and one at 8.5 weeks last month. In my case it is partly due to anaemia, which is common during/ after pregnancy and a major cause of fatigue. It's worth seeing your doctor for a blood test because s/he will put you on iron tablets to rectify it (which -tmi warning- can cause constipation and very dark stools, but which so give you your energy back).

I'm really sorry for your second loss sad

Irishmammybread Mon 18-Jun-12 14:01:29

Hi, sorry to hear about your loss, it's such a difficult time. A first miscarriage is devastating and to go on to have a second just compounds all the feelings.
I had my first miscarriage at 11weeks at the end of March, had first AF ,ttc, got pregnant immediately and had miscarriage again last week at 6 weeks.
Both miscarriages passed naturally without intervention but I have found after this one I'm exhausted, having dizzy spells and several times have felt very faint ,symptoms I didn't have last time even though I was further on when I lost the pregnancy. I've had to take some time off work again too.
We hadn't told people about this pregnancy so aren't telling many people about the miscarriage, mainly to save the kids/rest of family from further heartache but it is a bit of a struggle to try to keep going as normal.
My bloods didn't show any anaemia and I was already taking pregnacare preconception supplement.
I suppose our bodies have been though a lot of physical/hormonal/mental turmoil and it takes it's toll.
I'm just trying to rest when I can and try to focus on the kids and stay
positive (though a lot of the time I am an emotional wreck !)
Hope you get though this ,thinking of you.
x

HJBeans Wed 27-Jun-12 18:47:43

Hi IMB

Sorry not to reply any earlier, have been off MN for a bit due to lots of work and continuing exhaustion. So sorry to hear you've had to go through mc twice in very quick succession and that you're feeling exhausted. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one, but sorry you have to go through it too.

I've been out of work again this week after being back last week and then pushing it too far in terms of stamina. I have rhuematoid arthritis and suspect this latest wave of exhaustion is a bit of a flare as my joints are swelling as well - my rheumatologist told me to expect this after delivery so perhaps it's a bit of a cruel after-effect to non-delivery as well.

It is dreadful having to try to go on like normal and not feel comfortable explaining to all and sundry the reason for physical and emotional slump post-mc. Hope you're feeling a bit better by now and, belatedly, thinking of you, too.

BartletForAmerica Thu 28-Jun-12 19:32:02

One thought I had reading your OP was whether you had post-partum thyroiditis. Sadly it can occur even after a miscarriage at 6 weeks, so it probably makes sense that a flare of RA could occur just the same. My other thought would be whether the tiredness could be a symptom of depression, which would a completely understandable reaction to everything that's happened recently.

Hope it all settles soon for you.

thenesli Thu 22-Nov-12 13:27:33

Dear HJBeans,
I've experienced almost the same thing with you. 2 miscarriages, first at 10 weeks, second at 5 weeks and I feel extreme fatigue, physically worn out this time, which started 5 days after my miscarriage bleeding started. Could you learn the reason for yours? I went to the GP, and they just said it's normal...

Irishmammybread Fri 23-Nov-12 20:11:34

hi thenesli ,have just seen that this thread has been refreshed. Sorry you're going through this at the moment.
I actually conceived again just after my last post here in June, I ovulated 14 days after bleeding started .Unfortunately despite a few scans showing a heartbeat and normal growth I found out at a 10 week scan the baby had died at 8w6d and I went on to miscarry naturally at 12 weeks at the beginning of September.
Once again I felt drained,faint,exhausted but that did pass over the following weeks and now a few months on I feel physically back to normal, my last cycle was a normal length too.
Emotionally and mentally it's still difficult at times.
So the tiredness etc you're feeling can be normal and will hopefully pass, I would take some form of vitamin /mineral supplement, don't expect too much of yourself,take it easy if you can and if you are concerned and feel like something's not right go back to your GP/EPU.
Have you any check up appointments scheduled?

HJBeans Mon 26-Nov-12 11:57:45

irishmammybread - just saw your post and wanted to say how sorry i am to read it. It must be absolutely shattering to have seen such healthy signs on your scans and then have to cope with another m/c. All best wishes to you. Xx

thenesli, I've responded to your DM - short answer is no, never got any explanation for the fatigue, but lifted after three months or so. Think it was partly needing to process things emotionally and partly just needing a proper rest. Be as gentle to yourself as you can be and I hope you'll be feeling better soon.

ipswichwitch Wed 28-Nov-12 07:50:08

hjbeans, I just stumbled across this thread (realise it was started in June)
Your post sounds like I wrote it. 2 weeks ago I finished medical management or mmc at 7 weeks an I've been so utterly exhausted ever since. I also have RA and its been glaring like nothing else the last week. I'm seeing the rheumatologist next week but since we are going to ttc again after my scan in a few days I can't go back on my meds.

I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in experiencing this- something which has come as a bit of comfort to me as I was starting to feel like I wa being a wimp not getting up and getting on (as has been implied by certain people in RL hmm)
I hope you get some happier news soon

ipswichwitch Wed 28-Nov-12 07:52:27

Sorry that's meant to say flaring not glaring. Sadly it affects my hands too hence the crap typing

HJBeans Fri 30-Nov-12 09:24:37

Hi witch - so sorry to hear of your loss and that you're now coping with huge RA flares and exhaustion as well as unsympathetic folks in RL.

I can't imagine the additional ttc stress of having to stay off medication which controls flares - I really feel for you. (I'm lucky in that my RA is extremely well controlled with a low dose of sulfasalazine, which is apparently ok in pregnancy.)

If it helps any, my exhaustion did slowly improve over two months or so and I'm now knackered again only because I'm pg again. I really hope you see some better days very soon. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now