ANOTHER fb pregnancy announcement

(38 Posts)
firefli Wed 25-Apr-12 20:14:21

Thanks for sharing your scan photo. It rubbed salt in an already painful wound. You are a joyous pregnant woman, I am a saddo, wearing my pjs and drinking, while listening to the same sad song over and over again. My great grandpa will probably announce he's pregnant before I do.

Since I couldn't actually leave that as a comment on fb I just clicked like sad

The actual girl in question is perfectly nice and has every right to share her news. I just need somewhere safe to vent.

Hebiegebies Thu 26-Apr-12 18:53:55

I can see how it's difficult for us who have not conceived again after a mc, and it's good to let rip on a safe thread like this.

For those of you who are reading this who are pregnant and are on Facebook, can I just give one plea,

Please don't have your scan picture as your profile pic?

I can click like and have a tear or two if I see your happy news, but seeing your scan every time you post about anything hurts

lola4lee Thu 26-Apr-12 21:27:21

Yes I suppose there are those people on fb that have to tell people what they are having for tea and every minute of their lives, so I suppose u have to expect those type of people to put on fb the minute they have had a positive test.
I personally wouldn't, even in my first pregnancy when I was naive and excited I didn't even put it on there when I was 12 wks and not aware what was going to happen next.
I only tell the special people in my life.

molly3478 Fri 27-Apr-12 18:17:14

I have never wrote every minute of my life on fb hmm

belfaft1981 Sun 29-Apr-12 19:45:41

So sorry for your losses. I am thankful that I was not on facebook when I had my miscarriage. However, I did post my scan picture on Facebook. It was an convenient way to announce it to lots of people. I also have family overseas so it was nice for them to see it.
Howver, I was in the awful position where literally a day after posting someone posted that it was the 2nd anniversary of their miscarriage. A week later anoither friend posted about I think the 4th anniversary of her still birth. I had no idea these friends had been through this and felt terrible.

belfaft1981 Sun 29-Apr-12 19:46:35

hebie, yes that would be really insensitive.

Countmyblessings Sat 05-May-12 09:29:04

My cousin announced her pregnancy like that on FB and I was in shock! And green as my pregnancy never got to a clear scan like that!
I have been on both sides 3 beautiful wins and 3 terrible painful losses!
2006, 2011 and 2012 still dealing with the effects of my operation and find myself in floods of tears! When the doctors asked if I had kids and I said yes they were like ahhhh well that's good! Like because I have had the pain of my losses don't matter!!!!!!!!!
The horrible reality of things going wrong took the excitement out of getting those double lines!!!! 7 weeks on its all gone!!!
Now discovered 3 pregnant women at work!!! I'm dreading going back!
The thought of it makes me sick!!!!!!!!!

wilderumpus Thu 10-May-12 14:18:54

try a 5 foot high scan photo and surprise announcement at a wedding a week after your mc, EDD two weeks before yours would have been. nearly died on the spot sad. They weren't to know though (though in hindsight the groom was so weird with me when I congratulated them I think they might have done) and were just being excited. Just makes you sad for your loss all over again.

we'll be ok though.

floatyjosmum Thu 10-May-12 14:28:02

i thought it was just me beginning to hate FB!

had a miscarriage in march and knew two people who were pregnant - completely fine with that as theyd both been through so much but since then EVERYONE is announcing theyre pregnant

wilderumpus Thu 10-May-12 14:38:55

two words: valentines day. people who concieved then are now coming out of the woodwork as they are about 14 weeks (i would have been 12 weeks so know the feb dates!) Bloody hating fb smile

Countmyblessings Thu 10-May-12 18:00:13

Happy for all when they clearly are excited!
It just hurts and is a constant reminder of what you have just lost!
It's not like we post up!" Was pregnant but after terrible cramping and bleeding and rushing to hospital, we have lost our little one!"
Little more though would be great!
I'm avoiding all group get togethers to avoid those women who are now too far to hide and a belly is forming!!!!
Sad still xx

birdofthenorth Sat 12-May-12 19:21:36

This thread is reminding me, as I sit here in the throws of probable miscarriage, that I never ever replied to the friend who emailed me a week after my first miscarriage in November to announced she was due when I would have been. She must be 8 months of now and I've just ignored it. Don't see her from one year to the next as we live apart but still really shitty of me.

literaryone Wed 28-Nov-12 14:23:17

Facebook is the devil on this front, really.

What has been hard for me is the eleven women I know who were pregnant at the same time as me and whose pregnancies have gone well -- three gave birth, two due in December, two in January, one in February and three in March. I got to be the unfortunate second trimester miscarriage statistic in this cohort. It sucks. I catch myself hating them every time they post on FB about their pregnancy woes. Three are on another forum I frequent, and they post there in much greater detail than anybody would on Facebook, so that's even worse.

And I had a minor fit last week at another pregnancy announcement.

Sometimes I'm glad I didn't post on Facebook about my pregnancy, not even after the 14th week. The stillbirth came in the 19th week. It was hard enough with all the people IRL who knew... we had announced it to people, just not on FB. And then sometimes I wish I'd announced it, though I'm not very certain why I wish that.

BadlyWrittenPoem Fri 30-Nov-12 19:49:55

Literaryone - I lost a baby at a similar stage and I understand what you mean about finding it difficult to cope with people who were pregnant at the same time as you and now have their babies. Even now when I have gone on to have another baby I still find myself thinking about other people's children relative to what mine would have been and I find their posts about those children on FB make me think of what might have been and what my family might have looked like if things were different.

I don't think timing of announcement is necessarily any indication of whether a person has had problems. If I had never had any pregnancy problems I would not announce my pregnancy (except to a small number of close friends) until around four months. However, due to problems I have during pregnancy, three of my pregnancies have been common knowledge from about five weeks and I announced my fourth (following two early miscarriages) on FB at about eleven weeks mainly because I needed to explain the lack of contact which was caused by my pregnancy illness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now